Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
I've seen supermoto guys use it all over the place on the track. I read on teh interweb that people use it on sportbikes as well.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You can if you're comfortable with it. Doohan had a thumb brake rigged up on his GP bike when he couldn't use his foot so rest assured some people find it important.

·
Registered
43 Posts
alot of pro & really good racers use it when going into corners to back it in and cut the apex. i never use it though, not even on the street.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I trail brake all the time...I guess it's just however you learned...

·
Registered
461 Posts
HangTight said:
i trail brake all the time at the track, but never with the rear. its too easy to lock the rear

I trailbrake with the front only as well. Only time I touch the rear brake is to help with the sharp 5mph turn entering pit out at most tracks. :)

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Nicky Hayden uses his back brake to the point his team strapped a piece of inner tube to the lever so he'd cut it out. Wish I still had the pic.

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
steeltoe said:
Nicky Hayden uses his back brake to the point his team strapped a piece of inner tube to the lever so he'd cut it out. Wish I still had the pic.
I'm pretty sure it was to make sure it returns to the full up position.

Rossi has/had it too.

I use it all the time.

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
jim schmidt said:
The guys that sit up a little when they are slowing down.

No idea where this statement was going...

Anyways, Ive never used it, but on the street I use it mid-turn to correct corner speed. Just very lightly, of course. It can be done at the track also, so you dont upset the bikes suspension mid-turn, but with the leanangles I get at the track, its a little scary on the right handers. I would rather maintanence throttle than scrape my toe and possibly have it come flying off the peg.

·
Registered
25 Posts
bumblebee said:
I trail brake all the time...I guess it's just however you learned...
Ummmm. Trail braking isn't using the rear brake. It's braking late into the corner beyond the point where most people let off the brakes and go into max lean.

No, I don't use the rear brake and try not to use any more front brake than necessary to set entry speed.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Actually as has been pointed out, using the rear brake is an imp0ortant tool for mid-corner corrections. However, if you aren't used to it, it can cause a lot of headaches. I'm am actually working on using it lightly specifically. I rely on my front for 100% of my stopping power, but I would at least like to be comfortable enough to use it in mid-corner to tighten up my line if I need to.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I try to pump my rear every month so it will be there if I ever need it. I havent in several years now. If you are braking hard your rear is almost off the ground so it doesnt really help in a strait line. It is good in the rain when you ride off the track and dont immedatly crash.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
smokenjoe said:
I try to pump my rear every month so it will be there if I ever need it.
Ya know, I'm gonna leave that statement alone! :lol :2eek

(but man is that just too easy!)

How was Barber, I was so bummed about not going? I will be at BFR either spectating or racing, not sure yet, are you guys coming up here for the event?

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
GSXR RACER MIKE said:
Ya know, I'm gonna leave that statement alone! :lol :2eek

(but man is that just too easy!)

How was Barber, I was so bummed about not going? I will be at BFR either spectating or racing, not sure yet, are you guys coming up here for the event?

yeah, i know about haveing to leave it alone...i'll give him shit about it though when he gets home in the morning.

Barber was pretty good. Overall, my best finish was a 10th, my worst was a 22nd (?) of course, that was the race I crashed on so, I was pleased I at least got that. Joe got a 4th and the rest was a smattering of places. It was our last hurrah for the season (taking the next 3 months off except for the occasional motomania day in preparation for VIR in November. We have a 2 day event there) Unfortuantely, we will probably not make it out for the next event although we plan to be at bhf as soon as we can get up there next year. We really really like that track.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
silent_R1 said:
yeah, i know about haveing to leave it alone...i'll give him shit about it though when he gets home in the morning.

Barber was pretty good. Overall, my best finish was a 10th, my worst was a 22nd (?) of course, that was the race I crashed on so, I was pleased I at least got that. Joe got a 4th and the rest was a smattering of places. It was our last hurrah for the season (taking the next 3 months off except for the occasional motomania day in preparation for VIR in November. We have a 2 day event there) Unfortuantely, we will probably not make it out for the next event although we plan to be at bhf as soon as we can get up there next year. We really really like that track.
Glad to hear you guys had fun at Barber, what an awesome track!

Blackhawk Farms is such a fun track, it's tough for me not to race when events are held there, especially since it's so close to me. I haven't ever been to VIR, what's the occasion for you guys? I heard that track is cool too.

Well, it was nice to meet you guys this year, hopefully the next time you see me I will actually be racing up toward the front again (since I bailed out on doing that for this season). Have a fun off-season! :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts