Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sand is my favorite stuff to ride in. I Love riding in sand, especially with big dunes! You'd think here in Hawaii there'd be lots of it but unfortunatly there's just a few places you can go where you won't be arrested on the spot!:eek:

2 spots on Oahu, one is on the North Shore by Kahuku Golf Course which you need to cross to get to the beach! Pretty trippy making a mad dash across a golf course to get to the entrance to the beach! When you do there's a big dune you go down to reach the beach, if you go down it a few miles you come to a fence for the Nudist Beach! On weekends there'll be naked people all over whole familys! A real trip to see if you never been down there!

A second is by my house on East Oahu next to Sandy Beach, but its small and loaded with rocks, hit one at speed and you will either go down or mangle a rim!

The best place in Hawaii is on Kauai, Barking Sands Missle Tracking Station, also known as Polihale Beach way at the end of the road that follows the coastline ending at the entrance to the base. When you get to there you can go to the shoreline and go 30 miles down the beach

It's actually military property but they let the dirtbikes play on the beach provided they stay on the beach and dont go into the base. 30 miles of beach 11/2 miles wide with no one around for miles!
We'd go there and ride for hours stop take the riding gear off go swimming then ride more, only problem was gas. The nearest gas staton was 50 miles away and were on dualsports so you had to make sure you didn't go on reserve or you wouldn't make it to the gas station!

The 2 top pics are East Oahu just a block from my house, the rest are from Kauai. Sorry no pics of the nudist beach, they freak if you pull out a camera!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More beach pics by my house. We go camping there almost every weekend nice to be so close to the house, forget something just go get it!
There was a state sand drag there one time. When I won the mini truck class I did a U turn and came ripping down to the start dropping into that pit and doing a huge jump! I expected to go maybe a few feet up and travel maybe 40 feet but when I hit the slope I could feel the truck lift off shoving me down in the seat.... I was like oh shit!!! My friend that was the flagman said I was easily 15 feet up dam truck bounced 3 times after landing. The frame flexed enough to let the tops of the shocks poke holes in the inner fender wells! There 3 inches away normally!

That started everyone doing jumps. Several guys crashed or broke stuff a brand new Ford F350 Crew cab snapped the front axel in half!. It went from a nice controlled event to total insanity! LOL Great Fun!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
If I have to, I'll ride through sand. But it's not something that I look forward too. Seems like more times than not it's more work than it's worth.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
KH~
That looks like a great time!!
I've never ridden in sand so I can't tell you. I have heard it's very difficult to do though.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
i HATE deep sand....hate it hate it hate it.... did i mentin that i HATE deep sand

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
badgixxer said:
i HATE deep sand....hate it hate it hate it.... did i mentin that i HATE deep sand
So you are saying that there is no other place you'd rather ride, eh???? :eek:nfloor

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
I dont mind deep sand because i can ride in it well. However i will take hardpan anytime. KH that looks like a blast man

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gixernut said:
I don't like walking in deep sand.

I def agree with ya on that. Especially the really soft wind blown stuff that has been baking all day under the tropical sun..... freakin sand is easily close to 120 degrees! You cant take 3 steps before you will be screaming if you are barefoot!

That was the worst part of Polihale Beach, when we took out riding gear off to go for a swim. The sand just roasted your feet in the mad dash to the water!

:beer

I really enjoy sand riding mainly for 2 reasons. 1 I'm very good at it. 2 If you crash it rarely hurts you!

When we were riding at Polihale with my friend Phill Oveland a world class off road rider that recently broke the 24 hour off road endurance record by over 34 minutes. Needless to say he is a incredable rider that I could never even hope to keep up with on anything but the beach. Phill is no slouch in sand but with him on a Honda XR650 and me on my White Brothers DR 440 It was a total blast. I was able to give Phill a real run for his money on a huge oval track (the straight was almost 4 miles long! with a bunch of G-outs and small jumps the turns were almost a mile of balls out railing the berm if you slipped over the top you would almost gauarnteed be flying thru the air!) we started doing laps on buildong the berms up in the turns as we went.
There is something about going a tiny bit over 100mph (my ICO Enduro Cumputer was showing top speeds of 101 and 102 Phils Honda was reaching 105 on occasion while it was cool once it got hot it dropped to 99-100) side by side screaming down the beach in a battle that had me in front one lap then Phill would use the big Hondas extra power to pull me out of the corner.

I am in nowhere the kind of shape Phill is in so after a good 40 minutes of this insanity I had to stop because I was riding way over my head and when I got tired I was making mistakes and scaring the holy crap out of my self! It was Phill that made me stop He saw what was happening to my riding and waved me to slow down and said lets go up on the dunes sit in the shade and rest a bit.

I was kicking back sipping water from my camel back and what does Phill do? He takes my friends wife Marcia who is about 5 feet 90Lbs of Japanese wild woman and proved it beyond a doubt to all of us when she went on a 200 mile killer trail ride across the Island on the back of Phills bike!

We were in some of the nastiest terrain Ive ridden in and doing some gigantic hills that were almost impossible to make it up. Phill had Marcia on the back and effortlessly crested the worst one and went down it and took a even harder line up making it look easy while the rest of us flailed about eventually having Phill ride our bikes up the hills.

I was lucky and made every one and only had Phill ride my bike in one spot. On the side of a near verticle cliff above Wailua Falls the trail had a huge rain rut across it and the only way was to jump it as you rode on a near verticle side hill off camber nightmare that if you slipped jumping the ditch you were going down the nearly verticle cliff that was a easy 600 feet to the bottom. Something just trying to walk through was a risky propasition riding a bike was definatly a he man thing. Phill didnt blink and rode almost 15 different bikes through that section without even blinking. To really blow everyones mind he rode his bike across it with Marcia on the back!!!

I stayed at his house in Kapaa for nearly 3 months 2 years ago and when I had to leave I actually cried as the dam plane was taking off! I had so much fun over there riding every day with Phill who was like a cross between a Dominatrix from hell and a awesome guy to have along on a ride with you.

Each day was like being in the Marines. Up as the sun came up. Put on moto gear. Go in the garage to look at the bike. Pet Lex Luger his cat. Then open the garage door. Toss some feed on the drive way to feed the wild chickens. Watch Lex Luger do the uasuall cat slink but uop and front low crawl thinking it was sneaking up on the chickens..... :eek:nfloor it did this at least 2 maybe 3 times each day. We always watched. Lex would slink up until she was about 10 feet away then make a mad charge and jump on on of the big chickens!!

What a crack up it always ended the same. Chicken makes a bunch of noise and jumps around a bit throwing poor Lex off like she was a dirty dishrag!

That never stopped her though she kept trying but with no claws and several pounds lighter than the chicken she didnt stand a chance!

After that it was time to jump on the bikes, hit it on down into town going to Kapaa Diner. For the most tasty breakfast you can get for 5 bucks! Lunch and dinner were the same cheap and some killer food. I looked forward to either going there or to Brick Oven Pizza at the end of our adventures.

Phill worked at Two Wheels Honda on the other side of the Island. Every day he rode to work dragging me on a different rout each day and 99% was all off road. He tried to take a different rout each day. A solid 80 - 90 mile ride. That he said helped him keep fit and improved his riding when he was alone. He did the trip in 30 minutes or close. With me dragging him down it took about a hour.

While I was staying with him and his wife who HATES motorcycles because she is a 4 med degreed surgeon, sports medicine, holistic healing wizzard and a general practitioner too boot! Sylvia is such a cool lady and the ONLY Doctor I trust. She saved my life once without even seeing me herself!!

Phill called her on his cell phone when he came to my house and saw I had a very advanced case of strep and pnumoniia. He described what I looked like and Sylvia knew just what was wrong. I was seeing a dipshit at Kaiser med center that was giving me massive loads of pennacylin but the strain I had was resistant to penacylin. She gave me a antibiotic th was synthetic and in a hour or so I was like new!! I was down with that for 3 weeks and getting worse to the point I couldnt even swallow my saliva without throwing up. No food or water foe almost 5 days. I was so weak I couldnt get up. fuck that was miserable.

While I was at his house a few of his buddies dropped in to ride a few days with us. I'm talking big time top dog motocrossers! Jeremy McGrath was there along with most of the psycos from the Crustys Crew!! Gawd it was like a CIRCUS when those wackos were there! They never slowed down for a moment. Always doing something so insane I was wondering how they managed to stay alive! Phill fit right in. hes a nut case on 2 wheels if you make any sort of challange he is ready to give it a shot. I saw him and the others do stuff that was absolutly the most radical riding I have seen. Phill did a jump up the side of a valley off the crest and was at least 60 feet up doing a clicker (he laid the bike flat on its side and was hanging off the side waving as he flew over me! He was landing totally blind on the other side of the flat toped ridge I was sitting on. The ridge was about 80 feet wide easy and he was landing in 6 foot deep grass on the down side of the ridge!!! :eek: He was on a brand new 360 Husky that wasnt his. It belonged to some big time drug dealer that had him setting it up for him!

Phill just trashed the bike in about a week! The wheels both looked like stop signs. but other than that it was fine. Doing that jump he had it pinned in 6th gear coming up the side of the valley just haulin ass and took off clearing the ridge top like it was a table top on a track!

Nobody else even mentioned anything about giving that little stunt a go! Not a one. The Crusty guys all watched and said he was going to die.

I was having trouble believing it even though I saw him do it 3 times back ro back. I finally asked him to stop doing it because it was scary just watching him do it. Last thing I wanted to have happen was to try to find my way out of there without Phill!! I was as lost as lost got and if he ate it it would take me a week to find my way out!!

That was a trip for the record books! He now lives on Parker Ranch on the Big Island the biggest working cattle ranch in the world. The owners gave Phill and Sylvia a 4 bedroom log cabin on a private section of the Ranch that is conservation land. Its just incredable there. He has the keys to all the gates on the best land on the Island to ride on and the last time I was there it snowed on Mauna Kea and he dragged me all the way to the top on a borrowed bike from the Parker familys shed full of bikes that Phill fixes for them as a way of saying thanks for the most unreal home you can imagaine! totally self contained with solar electric and batteries. A wood burning stove I snuck a oven element from a propanr webber type grill for Sylvia. She didnt like burning wood because nearly all of it had some kind of chemical in it from either bug spray or some other crap.

What a life they are living! Both of them are the nicest people you could want to meet and it shows by the things people have given to them. Sylvia made friends with the Doctor running a small clinic in Kealakakua. the part of town where land is at a premium and what does the old lady that OWNS the little clinic do? She gives her clinic to Sylvia free of charge. It turned out that she wanted to retire and wanted a good person to watch her clinic and gave the pratice and building to Sylvia :eek: The building is a 4 story business plaza worth a cool 4 mil!!!! Like I said, there doing something right!

Dam Im tired of typing geezus this turned into a half case of Sam Addams mini novel!!

I enjoyed writing it though and its another chapter in a book I am giving a go at writing..... if it ever gets finished it will be a life and times of KH thing but under my name and trying to tell the story book kind of life I was so lucky to have lived over the years! Who knows. I have had so many people tell me I should write a book so Im giving it a go..... I already have about 200 storys in it! Most from posrs I made at various forums like this.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
Holy big post!!!! Dam I went a bit wild there!!! :eek:nfloor
:bitchslap go see a therapist or :beer twice as much next time...

·
SPODE in training
372 Posts
I've never riden on sand but I'll sure find out this year :)

Thanksgiving at the dunes :fiddy
The crashes won't hurt too bad I dont thing... I'll be to buzzed to care :eek:nfloor

Hawaiian - Nice pictures! I dig the 3-wheeler catchin' air :banana

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crap, I had a little thing typed out with a few important things to keep in mind to help you get the hang of sand riding and I was about to post it and I'll be darned if this new firerat version of dearpark had a tab open I thought was a second sbn page and it closed the page I just finished!!! Everything poof gone :a2

I was so pissed I deleted the new version and went back to good old FF 1.06 :dblthumb

At least in the old one SpooFX works! In dearpark it was blocked and wouldnt work :(

Gotta have SpooFX !! Easily the best extension made for FF :beer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts