Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about doing that to mine, because I would like to skip Corbin's price tag. Plust I'm thinking of doing a little custom stitch design on it, but that's another topic.

I thought about gel, but don't know how it would really feel, nor where to get it. Also, if I go to the track like I want to, would I be able to shift around the seat like I would need to?

I dont' know anything about the dense foams that are used by companies such as Corbin, but would be an option for me if the foam is accessible.

How was it restapling it to the stock seat?

Anyway, I just want to know some of the basics to do this before I decide to get going, so any and all suggestions, tips, places to order, etc. etc. are very welcome.

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
I repadded the seat on my Kaana750 very inexpensively.
I kept the original seat and cover intact.
I picked up some carpet padding scraps off a jobsite, bought a bit of black vinyl looking stuff from the craft store.
I got home and realized that the seat was fairly long and one piece.
to remedy the problem of trying to snug up the vinyl to the long seat, I cut the vinyl into three peices.
I first duct taped the padding as tightly as possible to the existing seat. I went ahead and taped around the entire seat so as to not let the material move around on me.
Then I eyebelled where I thought I could get away with folding my peices of vinyl. The biggestest problem is where the seat comes down to a dip from the top nearest the gas tank.
After placing a peice of vinyl, I tucked the remainder (trimming may be necessary), and started the next peice, stapling along the way. Finally, the last piece was in place, again stapled.
After the layout was done, I went back and restapled the entire seat (you will need a strong stapler I used a t-18), to tighten it up further.
Overall, I am very satisfied with the seat. It looks near stock, but feels as if it were far more than the 15 or so bucks I paid for it.
If I had to do it again, I would have used a smoother looking material for the padding. If you look closely, you casn see the little chunks in the padding. Other than that, it is quite nice and fairly easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kinda what I was thinking, plus maybe if I went with the gel and it wasn't good for shifting side to side, then I could still buy another stock for the "twisty" days. Shouldn't really say "twisty" since I live in KS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts