Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding back from the all-Harley drags a month or so ago; just out on my antique, enjoying the day and taking in some new scenery. I check my rear-views frequently (every few seconds), so it came as a surprise when all of a sudden I had two bikes on my ass, and I mean PLANTED there. I could see they were the flashy 50-color tribal flamed jet bike Nascar Christmas sleigh dildo theme bikes (not a big fan of multi-color customs... read OCC) that are so popular right now, and the dudes on them didn't look much older than me (no helmets, dew rags and Oakleys... welcome to KY). Mind you, reader, that this was all taken in thru a bar-end mirror mounted to a clubman bar on a 30-year old machine that, despite having isolastic engine mounting technology, still shakes more than a rock star in detox. At any rate, there was a good mile of roadway in front of me so I tucked in and pinned the throttle; never hurts to blow the cobwebs out. At an indicated 105 mph, I let off; those old parts just weren't made to be beaten that hard. At 105 mph, the first dude came flying by me, hauled in his clutch, revved the motor, and took off. Mmm hmm. Perhaps those old parts have some life left in them after all...
Fortunately for me, the straightaway ended (very rapidly) before his buddy could pass me, and a series of nice, broad, banked curves appeared. What would you do?
Me too. I slowed a bit, dropped a gear and gave it all that old bike had, just as Paulie Gordon slammed on his brakes. I think he might have put his feet down, too, but don't quote me on that one. At any rate, I turned his smile upside down inside of 100 ft. as I passed him on the outside. A short straightaway had him back in front, only for me to pass him on the inside of the next corner. This went on and on and on... me showing 'im how it's done in the curves, him showing me how well he can accelerate in a straight line. Toward the end of the road, he motioned for a stop... guess I didn't want to hear him tell me about how bad-ass his new chopper is, so I kept on.
Long story for a short point... any swingin' dick can go straight, and a lot of 'em can go fast in the corners. Beating a $50,000.00 custom in the twisties with a 30-year old antique? That's cool -

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
:lol :lol good deal.. wish I could of been there to see that! hahahah!!!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sounds like the Norton got a nice little work out, looks good by the way

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah, I don't know how many times while riding the local twisties some douche bag on a harley in front of me won't let me pass, so I go blowing by him in a corner. Most Harley guys, and there are some exceptions, feel as if they own the road. Like they don't have to have any sort of common courtesy (like moving over if someone wants to pass, or waving to sportbike riders). Wtf? All these computer geeks, and lawyers buy these 20-30k bikes and immediately turn into assholes? It's almost as if these goofballs want to seem like pieces of shit or something. Forgive me if you get offended because like I said, there are exceptions. My dad rides a harley. he was a computer programmer, budget analyst, etc. Clean cut dude. THen he bought his harley. Now he's got 3 tattoos (which when we were younger, he would ride our asses if we got new tats). He quit the computer thing, and became a truck driver. He is an exception to the no waving, no passing thing though. It just cracks me up how a motorcycle can change someone overnight. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you guys.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's the Norton in the avatar. There's another pic of it on the Ace Cafe's site which is better, somewhere around page 52, I think, in the picture library, and if I can figure it out, I'll add more to the VbGarage on this site.

AdamF2, I know exactly what you're saying. I don't understand the Harley guys myself. Funny thing is, I have one. The only way it's changed me is that I spend a lot more time alone on the interstate - riding it the way it was made to be ridden. At 65 mph that bike just floats, and I can clean up 500 miles on a Sunday and be back in time for dinner.

I don't understand most of what the Harley clan finds cool these days. That is, I don't understand why some idiot goes to the drag strip and rides his bone stock Fat Boy down it, complete with flame-mirrors and backrest. I can't stand making a run to the dealership in the dead of winter for oil and a filter, only to pull up just in time to see a husband and wife getting out of their Lincoln Navigator in FULL LEATHERS. I can't understand the concept of barhopping on a motorcycle; might as well put a gun to your head and pull the tr*****. Most of all, I can't understand why most of the "cruiser" crowd - and quite a large number of sport bike riders as well - do nothing more than ride up and down the busy streets in town on Friday night. I'm so amused here in Central City on the weekends that I find myself sitting at the gas station in the old jeep, listening to the radio and watching the intersection. I see the same 20 or so bikes every 5 minutes as they complete another lap around the tiny little town. Round and round and round, gassing 'em after every change in direction.

I guess at the end of the day, everybody has their own sense of "cool"; that which one guy or gal might think is cool might seem stupid to you or me, but as long as they keep on licensing their bikes to turn laps around town, I can keep licensing my bikes to ride - down the interstate, thru winding hills, on the track, etc.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
good story. i can't get over how many people i see riding without helmets anymore. that whole harley-bandanna thing is everywhere.

i've got a story to tell, somewhat related...
out on a local curvy road...probably the best one in the area...came across a guy on a crusier (not sure of brand) and a sportbike in front of him with a girl on the back. the guy on the crusier had flip-flops on, and the guy and girl on the sportbike had plain clothes on. I had my full leathers on and i was looking for a place to pass because they were obviously out for a nice easy paced ride. i came to a straight and passed the guy on the crusier and was coming up on the sportbike. he saw me and sped up. so here we are, approaching a sharp corner and he's trying to drag race me. i knew he'd slow before i did so i just kept on it. sure enough he slammed the brakes and dropped back and i sailed around that corner and never saw them again.

it really pissed me off that he couldn't just let me around, but i hope he felt like a total dingus when he saw me rail that corner and disappear.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Nice kill story. So I assume the guy ran off without evening giving a simple thumbs up for recognition of handing him his ass?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Maybe I haven't ridden enough or just maybe becuase I live in milwaukee (home of harley), but I have never had a bad experience with any other motorcyclists. Believe me, I see hundreds of Harleys a day and maybe half will wave to you. When I go on rides with my dad, he has a Harley, everyone waves and doesn't make it a big deal that a big harley cruiser is riding with a sportbike. I work at Harley and people always say stuff abotu my bike, only kidding around and then they come to talk to me about it an hour later. I have seen assholes on the road, but that is more in the cagers that don't ride and cut you off. Bikers understand other bikes, for the most part.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The biggest thing I don't understand bout Harley riders is that they all have to wear gear that says "Harley Davidson Motor Co." on it. Usualy a shirt or vest, but some times a bandana, shirt, vest, boots, gloves (of course no helmet). Like we don't know it is a Harley from a the freaking noise coming out of it when they are sitting there reving for no reason at a stoplight. Oh, now I get it! It is a HARLEY, as I can tell from the t-shirt you are wearing! Thanks for clearing that up. I love your 75 dollar t-shirt!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Tweak said:
The biggest thing I don't understand bout Harley riders is that they all have to wear gear that says "Harley Davidson Motor Co." on it. Usualy a shirt or vest, but some times a bandana, shirt, vest, boots, gloves (of course no helmet). Like we don't know it is a Harley from a the freaking noise coming out of it when they are sitting there reving for no reason at a stoplight. Oh, now I get it! It is a HARLEY, as I can tell from the t-shirt you are wearing! Thanks for clearing that up. I love your 75 dollar t-shirt!
haha, ouch. I never really noticed that, but yeah my dad always wears a harley shirt if he goes on his bike. Now I am going to have to make fun of him.

·
Registered
605 Posts
ocbasbalburg said:
Maybe I haven't ridden enough or just maybe becuase I live in milwaukee (home of harley), but I have never had a bad experience with any other motorcyclists. Believe me, I see hundreds of Harleys a day and maybe half will wave to you. When I go on rides with my dad, he has a Harley, everyone waves and doesn't make it a big deal that a big harley cruiser is riding with a sportbike. I work at Harley and people always say stuff abotu my bike, only kidding around and then they come to talk to me about it an hour later. I have seen assholes on the road, but that is more in the cagers that don't ride and cut you off. Bikers understand other bikes, for the most part.
Im in Milwaukee and I and work with harley too...well we sell the shirts to the harley dealerships but my boss and co-workers all have harleys and I ALWAYS get teased and razzed about my "booger-bike" as they call it. I have a green ninja zx7...and I always wave at anyother bike sometimes I'll even wave to those huge mopeds and the only people who wave back or signal that they recognize you are other sportbikes...I fookin hate harley riders.
And I think that herleys rev their crap at stop lights is because they idle like shit..
I cant argue with the 'why they wear a harley shirt on a harley' because if they didnt I wouldnt have a job, LOL

·
Registered
912 Posts
Go Norton!!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts