Sport Bikes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Drunken Philosopher
947 Posts
I have Valvoline motorcycle oil in my FZ6's engine right now. It was cheap motorcycle-specific oil, and available at Autozone when I needed it. I used it when I changed the oil just before putting her to bed in December. Only put a few miles on that oil to get it distributed, didn't notice any differences in shifting or anything. I was more interested in getting the old oil out (and associated contaminants) before it sat in there for months, than I was in providing optimal lubrication.

I'll probably put on a few hundred miles on that oil when she comes out of storage next month, and then change both the oil and filter. I'm moving to the Rotella synth that's so popular on this board.

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Good article. I don't plan to run this stuff for the life of the bike but I didn't see a need to run $8/quart oils during break in. I'll be changing the oil at 500 miles and then again at 1500 miles. I only have only 120 miles on the bike right now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used the valvoline in my ninja250 back in phoenix, it worked great. 10w40 for the winter and 20w50 for the summer...

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Rayman said:
5100 is the semi-synth. 300 is the full-synth. Both GREAT oils by the way.
Sure enough. My bad. It's hard enough to find the gallon jugs of 5100 here, and I don't think I've ever seen the 300 for sale around here in quarts or gallons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts