Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got 36 one time.... I figure the bike averages 40mpg, and the reserve is around 1 gal, but I've never pushed it past 40 trip F miles.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I can better you by 2...38.

This wasn't a "let's see how far I can go" thing either. Was out in the farm country having fun and eventually realized my display was flashing (I didn't know what the hell Trip F was). I quickly realized that this was my "gas light" and feathered it, knowing I was at least 30 miles out from a gas station.

Moral of this story:
-read your owner's manual so you know what all those neat little lights and buttons do
-non-linear gas gauges suck

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Good question but I haven't tempted the stretch too much myself. I think I've been in the low 20's. In theory the reserve is .95 gal and I average 50 miles per gallon so I could go 48ish miles right? Total tank of 5.1 should get around 250 miles so thats another way to tell how many trip F should be. I like the digital fuel gauge and especially like the trip F feature in case I'm not paying attention to mileage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Friend of mine got you by 1 - his was at 39 when he ran out of gas several hundred yards from a gas station. Don't think he was getting great gas mileage at the time considering we were doing 100mph+ runs across one of the viaduct bridges in Dallas (after midnight / no cars).

Mines been in the low 30's.

·
Registered
155 Posts
250 miles per tank...very nice.

My WRX only got 300 from a tank of 14 gallons. This bike will save me some serious gas. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Glad to know I can go that far. I thought I was chancing pushing her at 18 when I finally pitted.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great thread gjusting!

Thanks for this thread! Good one to know, I was sweating my 17 that I ended up having to do the other day. Now I'll know I can push it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The tank is 6 gallons and I've noticed that if you fill up right when you show empty it only takes about 3.8 gallons or so. Depending on how you ride, I think it gets from 30-40 mpg so at the most conservative estimate (assuming 30 mpg and empty showing at 4 gallons) you should theoretically be able to get up to 60 more miles on "trip F"

·
Registered
205 Posts
Andrew_FZ6 said:
The tank is 6 gallons and I've noticed that if you fill up right when you show empty it only takes about 3.8 gallons or so. Depending on how you ride, I think it gets from 30-40 mpg so at the most conservative estimate (assuming 30 mpg and empty showing at 4 gallons) you should theoretically be able to get up to 60 more miles on "trip F"
Actually, the tank is 5.1 US Gallons, which includes reserve, and the reserve is .9 US gallon.
That is directly from the workshop manual. see enclosed file

If your getting 6 gallons into your tank then I suggest you contact the commisioner for agriculture, or whoever is responsible for calibrating gas pumps in your state and let him know someone has "jimmied" the pumps.

As the majority of folks, according to an earlier thread were getting around 44 MPG, I would say that 38-39 taking it easy would be tha max you would want to push it.
Unless of course you like to actually push it (literally) to the next gas station.

Skippy

Attachments

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Thanks for the info. I thought i was in trouble when i hit 20 about a week ago.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, this is good info to know.
The most I have had is around 18. And, at the time I had not read the manual.
So, I went home after that and read the manual. :D

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Has anbody noticed if the Trip F miles reset when you turn off the bike? I thought I was about 10 miles into my Trip F miles the one night, and then the next morning when I went to gas up before I went to work, it only read 2.

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
You know I could have sworn it reads Trip E not F, but I could have just misread it.

As for it resetting itself, as far as I know, it is only supposed to reset after you get gas and drive a couple miles (if you don't reset it manually that is).

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I pulled into work today I looked down at the speedo to as I turned the key off and had a trip f of 0.0. I just figured I would share with someone that it turned on while it was idling for the 7 secs or so that it took me to reach down and turn the key off. I felt special.

·
Registered
205 Posts
jcaesar625 said:
Has anbody noticed if the Trip F miles reset when you turn off the bike? I thought I was about 10 miles into my Trip F miles the one night, and then the next morning when I went to gas up before I went to work, it only read 2.

What probably happened, as you only had 10 miles it was still close to the .9 of a gallon, putting it on the stand, either side or center, may have given it a false reading and it recalibrated itself based on what it thought was in the tank.

I have ridden my bike hard and one bar has dropped from full, when I put it on the side stand and then start up again it reads full.

I would not say they are all that accurate, more of a guide line.

Skippy

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
virtualt said:
What probably happened, as you only had 10 miles it was still close to the .9 of a gallon, putting it on the stand, either side or center, may have given it a false reading and it recalibrated itself based on what it thought was in the tank.

I have ridden my bike hard and one bar has dropped from full, when I put it on the side stand and then start up again it reads full.

I would not say they are all that accurate, more of a guide line.

Skippy
makes sense.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
virtualt said:
What probably happened, as you only had 10 miles it was still close to the .9 of a gallon, putting it on the stand, either side or center, may have given it a false reading and it recalibrated itself based on what it thought was in the tank...
The Trip F meter is basically an odometer so it doesn't calibrate itself based on how much gas you have in the tank. Sounds pretty odd that it read 10 then 2. Any chance you accidently reset it pushing the buttons changing between the different readouts? I dunno....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts