Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets hear all your stories............what kind of damages, how long did recovery take, etc etc........

me, i flipped my last bike (CBR954) backwards when riding a wheelie..........ended up with a broken leg, but the worst part is i had a large chunk of skin on my ankle ground out on the cement..........

i had surgery for my leg and am in the healing process right now, the hole has completely filled in and now it is a surface wound, ive also got fracture blisters on my foot.........i really hope to be walking again within about one week, although i know my skin will not be fully healed by then

my accident happened on may 14th, this will end up being about an 8 week ordeal.........post up ya'll, i know i aint the only one, and i think it's somewhat comforting for people (including myself) to know that they're not the only one going through something terrible, and that everything will be alright in the end...........

·
Registered
426 Posts
Me, within the first 600 miles. I have around 4k and haven't had a problem since though.

I got a scar on my knee and a few small ones on my hand. Nothing to bad. All of the dammage was cosmetic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jacket, gloves, helmet......except i was wearing jeans and worst of all tennisshoes -- the area of skin ground out was just above the top lip on my shoe, if you look down at your foot, on the outside, its the area where your circular ankle bone sticks out....no fun i tell ya.........i sure as hell cant wait to be walkin/riding and have my skin all cleared up.......(even if its scarred i just want it to be fully closed, and not open ya know)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I put a CBR600rr into a 5 foot ditch at 30 MPH on a Honda demo ride. Started running wide through a curve, and then the front wheel hit dirt as it left the asphalt. I believe at that point I hit the front brake, knowing I was going into the ditch no matter what. I think that's what let me lowside and manage to dismount the bike before it went into the ditch. A small scratch on my shin - presumably from hitting some part on the bike on my way off - and an abrasion mark on my forehead from the helmet were all the injuries I sustained. All my sliding was on dirt. On the pavement, I don't think my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket would have held up as well. I remember my helmet hitting the ground as well, but not hard. Can't even really see any scratches on the helmet (still planning on getting a replacement though). I had on no protective pants or boots.

There's no reason I shouldn't have been able to hold the corner at double the speed I was taking it at. All the other riders on lesser handling bikes made it no problem at that speed, and I definitely didn't get the impression they were better riders than me. Something in my head just wasn't right about that corner. Went way wide through it on an F4i a half hour before I lost the rr. I went back to the same curve a just today on my own bike and had no trouble.

My first words to my buddy after the crash (who was riding behind me when it happened) were, "Glad it wasn't my bike." No real damage to me. Bike had the equivalent of about $4500 damage, I later found out. It took 4 people to get it out of the ditch but it still ran.

It was the first time I was on someone else's bike other than my own in about 7,000 miles of riding. Go figure that I'd wreck that one.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Lowsided a friends yzf-600r last summer.
It was my first time on a sport bike and probably 6th time on any motorcycle.
Tried to grab front brake while going a little too fast in a decreasing radius corner (now that I'm experienced I would never do that).
Weak throttle return spring, sticky gel grips, brake handle setup too high - I gunned it while leaning and skidded right of the road.

Bounced the helmet off the asphalt (glad I put it on 5 minutes before that incident - after over an hour without it). Scraped up my elbow a little bit. Slight tear in my jeans where I LANDED ON MY KEYS.
I got up PISSED OFF that I was letting a friend down by wrecking his bike. I picked the bike right up (no mechanical damage at all). Called him and told him where I was and he instantly new what happened (he's come close on that corner). He drove to me and wrote it home because, while we both figured I could ride, I was shaken up.
We didn't mention it to our wives until the next day (hid my injuries when we all went out that night).

I realized 3 weeks later when my shoulder muscles healed that my colar bone was broken.
Oh well, I kept working (which involved climbing utility poles on gaffs) and it eventually healed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a lady pulled out on me on my 05 gix 600. She didn't even see me. I was going 45 mph when i t-boned her. The bike stop at the car and i continue to fly over her car for about 75 feet the meds said. I had on my helmet, motorhead jacket, and gloves. Fracture my lower back on the spine, and some light road rash on my ankle. Took a month to recover. Happen on 5/5/05 and picking up my new one july 8th.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It was a dark night and I was going around 140 on the interstate when all of a sudden I saw a racoon in my path. The f*cking thing exploded on impact. I thought I was safe until a goddamn deer appeared literally 1 second afterwards. I cut the bitch in half, but my R1 was also cut in half. Amazingly enough I survived after sliding forever thanks to my leathers.

Just kidding.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Put my F2 down in '97. Contractors were cleaning out the drainage ditches on McClellan AFB, and the numbnuts drivin' the dump truck full of sludge was leaving a 2" thick splash around a curve on the north end of the flightline due to excessive speed. Tried to take it off road to avoid the slop, but as soon as the front tire hit the goo, it was all over. I tumbled a bit, ending up sliding on my ass off the side of the road, watching my bike skitch down the road, wondering wtf? Wearing Arai helmet, which never hit the ground; Fox gloves, which ripped at the thumb seam; a light leather jacket, minor rash to it, but I got a friction burn on my right elbow; jeans, which lasted about as long as toilet paper, leaving me with some nice bruises and a couple spots of road rash; high top steel toed shoes, slightly scuffed. My wrists came out the worst for it. It took about two years for them to fully heal. I was walkin' like Grampa for about three weeks. Speed was prolly 25 to 30.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
High sided off my VF1000R coming out of a corner. Flipped me clear of the bike onto someones front lawn. My how soft the grass was. My bike didn't fare so well. Pretty much totalled. Had all my gear on and the leathers and helmet did their job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I never wrecked, but i watched one of my friends crash right into a pole. lol
We were teaching him how to ride and soon as he gets on the bike BAM right into a pole, going 20 to 30 mph. It wasnt funny at the time, but since he came out alive we all joke about it. He hit the pole and flipped in the air with the bike. It was one of the scariest things ive seen. He fcked up his hands and legs pretty bad.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Lowsided on right side the slide did a number on my knee/ankle but other then some rash and lots of bruising I'm good.. The bike needs new fairings, all but left mid... Damn I'm gettng some sliders :(

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
A few years ago I put a ZX-11 down at 85 mph in a hard turn. No damage to me but can't say the same about the bike. I hate gravel in roadway turns!

·
Jake_GSXR_1000
207 Posts
I had highsided and the bike lowsided last sept. all cosmetic damages to the bike but i had sustained a broken clavicle and 2 ribs and tons of scrapes and scratches.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Ground Zero said:
If you have been riding for any period of time...it's going to happen. Last time down was in the 80's.
Same here...1988, to be exact. Many of the riders on this forum were just babies!

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
haha that's right.

I wrecked my SV a couple months ago going about 25-30 MPH going around a 20MPH curve... I would say it was more like a TURN than a curve... it was about 100* angle. I'd done this curve a million times before, somehow I was coming it too hot, braking while I was coming into the turn, I knew it wasn't going to help so I just kicked the bike away and hit the pavement. I came away with the tiniest cut on my hand and some REALLY sore shoulders/neck (I hit the ground face first... I love my helmet more than you know). Helmet was trashed, jacket got a scuff on both shoulders as I rolled across the ground. I came out almost totally OK... however the front end of my bike slammed into the lip of a 4' concrete drainage pipe that was going under someone's driveway, front end was totalled, So far in parts and labor (I have a friend who works at a MC shop, who just HAPPENED to have a spare SV650 with no motor, so he gave me all the front end parts I needed), I think I've spent about 700 bucks maybe, and there's still more I have to take care of, at least another 300 or so in damages/parts. I'm so fucking angry at what happened, turned my life financially upside down... all over something so stupid. Ride safe out there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts