Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not about personal opinion and I dont want this to turn into a should there or should there not be helmet laws pissing match.

This morning I woke up listening to a discussion between my mother and grandmother (I'm staying at grandma's house) about motorcycles and helmet laws. Mom and I both ride, and grandma thinks we're crazy. She was reading an article in the New York Times about motorcycle deaths going up and started on some tangent about people not wearing helmets. With literally no research or experience, and without even reading the article, she states "well it's the motorcycle companies that are fighting these helmet laws" which I dont believe is the truth. She dislikes motorcycles and was going entirely on her gut feeling and nothing more, which bugs the hell out of me. What bugs me more is that when I disagree with her she tells me to find research to back it up. I feel this is a topic I know quite a bit about since I spend many many hours a week around bikes and bikers, but apparently that doesn't count.

Every piece of literature I've ever gotten from a bike manufacturer has said "always wear a helmet" somewhere, and I know that unlike cigarette manufacturers they aren't required to write that. Several companies will even pay for MSF if you buy a new bike in certain states. I find it hard to believe that any of the manufacturers are supporting the non-use of helmets, so exactly who is? Obviously there are plenty of people who dont wear them, and plenty more who dont think we should be required to wear them but who is really doing the lobbying, cause I think we all know how much an individuals opinion is worth in washington (read: zero)? What are the anti-helmet political groups, and who is funding them?

Again, I could give two shits what your opinion is on helmet laws. I'm just lookin for info, not a debate. I think there are plenty of other threads to argue in. I'm just looking for factual info.

BTW, I read that article that grandma was ranting about. She read the part about motorcycle deaths going up around 100% since 1997, but neglected to read where it said that the number of bike registrations has gone up by 75% and they estimate that the number of miles ridden per bike has gone up as well. Unfortunately they dont have a way to track number of miles ridden accurately so the number of deaths per mile MAY have actually gone down, but it's hard to say one way or the other.

·
Win!
366 Posts
ABATE for one, depending on your state. Some fight for the right to choose.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would never fight to make helmets not required in a state where they are, but if a person is willing to take the risk of riding without, why not let them? In all seriousness, it is only a risk to that person. Wearing/Not wearing a helmet isn't going to pose harm to anyone else on the road.

That said, I think it's smart to wear a helmet. But it's just one more thing being regulated that probably doesn't need to be. Is it a bad thing? not in my opinion. But you will always have people fighting for the other side.

I don't see motorcycle companies fighting those laws, however. Why would they? If, and I say if because I don't know the data, more people die because they aren't wearing a helmet, the motorcycle companies suffer in sales. There are less people to buy them, and more worry from potential buyers. Also, many companies market out to gear makers to get stuff branded. There's more money again for motorcycle companies. Like any other business, it comes down to the dollars and cents.

·
Win!
366 Posts
I would never fight to make helmets not required in a state where they are, but if a person is willing to take the risk of riding without, why not let them? In all seriousness, it is only a risk to that person. Wearing/Not wearing a helmet isn't going to pose harm to anyone else on the road.

That said, I think it's smart to wear a helmet. But it's just one more thing being regulated that probably doesn't need to be. Is it a bad thing? not in my opinion. But you will always have people fighting for the other side.

I don't see motorcycle companies fighting those laws, however. Why would they? If, and I say if because I don't know the data, more people die because they aren't wearing a helmet, the motorcycle companies suffer in sales. There are less people to buy them, and more worry from potential buyers. Also, many companies market out to gear makers to get stuff branded. There's more money again for motorcycle companies. Like any other business, it comes down to the dollars and cents.
ok, so you don't know. thank you.

This is not about personal opinion and I dont want this to turn into a should there or should there not be helmet laws pissing match.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
ABATE is the reason Illinois doesn't have a helmet law. Its absolutely DOMINATED by harley riders, but other than that, its a great organization (I KEED, I KEED).

I am strictly against En Loco Parentis laws such as helmet laws, but I also think that anyone who rides without one is a total idiot.

ABATE Of California

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
AMA and ABATE both think helmet wearing should be an individual choice. ABATE exists for this very purpose although they have branched out a bit. AMA is responding to member desires. I'm not sure about MRF, but they're an ABATE-like group.

Here is a page of groups (ABATE and other) nationally who are against helmet laws:
Links to Other ABATE Sites

·
Registered
198 Posts
ok, so you don't know. thank you.
I did state that it would make no sense for motorcycle companies to do it.

And a lot of times, it can be individuals too. Look up Richard Quigley, from CA for example.

There was a case in Canada where a Sikh (sp?) got ticketed for no helmet, and tried to fight for religious beliefs.

There are rides to protest helmet laws.

Doesn't need to be a big group.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In PA, it's illegal to drive your car without wearing a seat belt, but its legal to not wear a helmet on a bike. I find this very odd. Apparently the bike lobbyists do a much better job than the car lobbyists.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did state that it would make no sense for motorcycle companies to do it.

And a lot of times, it can be individuals too. Look up Richard Quigley, from CA for example.

There was a case in Canada where a Sikh (sp?) got ticketed for no helmet, and tried to fight for religious beliefs.

There are rides to protest helmet laws.

Doesn't need to be a big group.

Yeah, and like I said I'm looking for the major lobby GROUPS and who they are funded by. Try reading.

So, who funds the ABATE groups? are they entirely member supported or do they get corporate help? I just did some reading :google and got info about their history, but not where the money comes from.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Yeah, and like I said I'm looking for the major lobby GROUPS and who they are funded by. Try reading.

So, who funds the ABATE groups? are they entirely member supported or do they get corporate help? I just did some reading :google and got info about their history, but not where the money comes from.
From what I gather, ABATE is funded by a mix of private donations from wealthy people, and its own fund raising events.

I have been to a few events, they certainly do know how to throw a big ass party.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's harley.....
Harley makes more money with the helmet laws in place. It is one more thing to sell to their market for a profit; so why would they want to change that? Helmet laws don't drive up costs for motorcycle manufacturers, so there is no business reason for them to put up a fight. You'd be more likely to see a motorcycle manufacturer pushing legislation that says only they are qualified to produce or endorse required protective gear.

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
No proof, But I have never read a thing about how motorcycle manufactures support groups like Abate or others that are against helmets.

From a legal standpoint it would seem manufactures would want you to always wear a helmet so you can not come back and sue them becauses you did not take their advise. As you noted they tell you to always wear a helmet...hmmmmm

·
Banned
3,836 Posts
stupid people will fight about how people should be able to not wear helmets
I for one believe we should be allowed to make a decision if we want to wear a helmet or not. We both supposedly live in "free" countries, we should be able to not wear a helmet if we don't want too. I would still wear a helmet. So I guess I'm stupid.

·
Registered
393 Posts
In PA, it's illegal to drive your car without wearing a seat belt, but its legal to not wear a helmet on a bike. I find this very odd. Apparently the bike lobbyists do a much better job than the car lobbyists.
same thing in denver, its weird.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
No the insurance company lobbyists do a better job than the car lobbyists.
As this is not a thread about opinion I'll keep the rest of my thoughts to myself.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts