Sport Bikes banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinkin about doing the big bore kit on my 07 ZZR 600.

Anyone know who does the boring and plating?

And if someone posts up a place please feel free to post up others, would like to have a choice between shops.

Also does anyone have experience with a certain shop with reasonable prices?

Anyone done this on a ZZR 600 or 98-02 ZX6R?

found one place that sells a +2mm(637cc, 13.4:1 CR) kit :

Speed Moto Company

and another one overseas who sells a +3 (654cc, 13:1 CR) kit :
ZX6R 654cc Big Bore Kit Kawasaki ZX6R 654cc Big Bore Kit 69m

opinions??

I am considering selling this one and/or purchasing a literbike but would be nice to just be a tad faster. Getting tired of the old Zed lol...but figured I might want to try wrenching on it just so I can see for myself the difference...just so I know. Plus I love working on shit lol.

thanks guys

-Chris

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
Honestly, it'd be cheaper, easier, and less of a headache to get the bike you really want if the ZedZed isn't lighting your candle anymore. If your 600 is still in even streetable shape, then it's sellable in the spring and you can put that money towards whatever literbike you want. However if you do any modifications, you will limit the number of potential buyers when the time comes to sell the ZZR. Buyers REALLY like to see stock bikes, sometimes even aftermarket exhaust is a turnoff, so doing things like big bore kits that MAY make the bike faster, but it also MAY make the bike a rolling grenade isn't the way to really sell one.

But if you're looking to keep the ZZR, then looks like you've already found the resources to do it. I dont know of any other places to buy any of the parts to do a big bore on an odd-ball like that generation of Kaw600, but what you're really needing is a shop that's done it before so you can tap the knowledge of someone who's had one apart and got it running again afterwards. There are undoubtedly many, many little 'tricks' to doing this type of modification that it would be way easier to 'buy' the knowledge of than to 'stumble upon' the knowledge of.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Personally I would just get a used 636 or the new Ninja ZX6. I too own a ZZR, which for those that do not know is the ZX600 'J' motor from the 00-02 ZX6r. I'm sure there are some shops that have modded this bike, because they were *the* Kawi race bike back in the day.

I love mine because it is more comfortable than most sportbikes on the market, and I can sport tour on it. It is still a great engine, and the bike is a lot of fun.

Aside from fuel injection and weight reduction, I can't find fault with the bike. If I were purely going to do race days, I'd want one of the 09 ZX6s. For the riding I do, the ZZR fits.

Have you tried other mods first, like an aftermarket pipe, ignition advancer, and a jet kit and/or shimmed carb needles? All offer some decent seat of the pants power bumps. Not sure how much HP gain, but the bike will 'feel' quicker with these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts