Sport Bikes banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am jealous of all you girls that can pick up your bike! It really bothers me that I'm unable to pick mine up. I feel like a sissy! :eek: My friend who is the same size as me picks it up easily. She makes it look so damn effortless too! :dunno
I've tried both facing it and facing away and I can even get it to budge. I suppose I just need to keep practicing.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Ah, I see you did make it here. I missed it. :)

If you are practicing picking it up, maybe it's the missing adrenaline that makes the difference. When you are in a actual situation, it might work for you. Just as long as you know the technique.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ok, I only glanced at this forum, but I think we are missing the big picture. If my bike were to fall over, I literally would dive under it! Lol. Then I'd already be under it and it would be much easier to pick up... heh :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ah, I see you did make it here. I missed it. :)

If you are practicing picking it up, maybe it's the missing adrenaline that makes the difference. When you are in a actual situation, it might work for you. Just as long as you know the technique.
I've already dropped it 3x. Twice while stopped and once while making a slow U-turn. All three times I burst into laughter. So its likely I'm just not taking it seriously enough. I also have a bad knee so that could have something to do with it.

If I get my gym membership back I'm going to practice powerlifting...see if I can't improve my technique with something a little lighter first!

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Oh shit... I guess you have been trying! Yeah, if you are favoring a bad knee, you might not be able to put your all into it. But it's not worth hurting yourself worse for.

Let's be honest, as much garbage as women have to put up with from guys, we deserve a break every now and then. If you can get someone else to pick your bike up for you so you don't make your knee worse, then take advantage of it. It would just suck if it happened when you were out riding in unpopulated areas. So, get to the gym and build up your strength. I'm sure you'll get to the point where you can do it if you work at it.

I've only dropped a bike 3 times in my life so far, and two times someone was there to help me lift it. The time I did it myself was pure adrenaline, before I even knew about this technique. :lol

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
I've already dropped it 3x. Twice while stopped and once while making a slow U-turn. All three times I burst into laughter. So its likely I'm just not taking it seriously enough. I also have a bad knee so that could have something to do with it.

If I get my gym membership back I'm going to practice powerlifting...see if I can't improve my technique with something a little lighter first!
I've never been good with upper body strength but my legs are strong as hell. (Did i post in this thread yet?) I didn't take my first bike out on the road til i was sure i could lift it myself, cause i pictured being stuck somewhere with a tipped over bike having to wait on some man to stop and help me and it was very stupid-looking.

Get it lying down on the kickstand side.

Turn your back to it, squat down, and put one hand on the handlebar that's down and the other hand on the sissy bar on that side that's down.

Push up and back with your legs, and when you and the bike are supporting each other's weight and the bike is nearly upright, ease a foot back and bring the kickstand out.

If it drops on other side, that's trickier, but try to stabilize it upright without sending it over the other way, pause to get your balance if necessary...then get the bike leaning on your hip a little so you can turn and grab the handlebars and throw a leg over.

Good luck. And yes, i did purposely get the bike on its side to practice this. Worth it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Picking up your bike after a slip or tumble is pretty important technique to know cause the fluids in the engine rush to parts that it shouldn't causing the engine to blow white smoke when riding or if the bike had been laying on the ground for a while then it wouldn't start like it normally would. I learned some stuff while working as an assistant mechanic in my husband's MC shop. MY DREAM JOB...LOL Because my husband has a shop I became a Certified Motorcycle Repair Technician, now I could help him out with a better understanding. I only help him seasonally I am actually a Social Worker (BORING).

·
Registered
74 Posts
i am sure the technique your tlkn about is where u turn handle bars towards the downed side,bike up to the bike,one hand on the bottom grip,other under seat,be sure in gear, and as ur pushin up...kinda like ur tryin to make the bike back up at the same time, the trick is not to try and pick up the bike , but force it away and back and it should pop right up. for the smaller peeps,try gettin a piece of plywood to practice with and add a sheet the sbetter u get and before u know it u will be helpin guys with there bikes! just bored and wanted to try and help :0)

81 - 92 of 92 Posts