Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I haven't crashed, but I did lose my balance on our stupid bumpy sloped driveway (front wheel wasn't straight when I stopped). The bike went down (no damage; I broke the fall as best I could). I, for the life of me could not pick her back up, and had to get my husband to come help me. Quite embarrassing, as I was already feeling like a moron for having dropped her in the first place... :rolleyes I'm not terribly strong, but maybe I just have poor technique. Any suggestions?

·
Calm like a bomb!
7,944 Posts
Try picking it up backwards...

Put the small of your back on the seat...grab with both hands and drive the bike up with your legs. Be careful not to tip it over the other way and watch those hands on hot parts, but once you get it up you can kinda roll your body around forward.

Does that make sense?

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Iceman_954rr said:
Try picking it up backwards...

Put the small of your back on the seat...grab with both hands and drive the bike up with your legs. Be careful not to tip it over the other way and watch those hands on hot parts, but once you get it up you can kinda roll your body around forward.

Does that make sense?
Well, not so much when you describe it! Look here:

http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Alex, going for a ride this afternoon?

KeS

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
+1 backwards works. I have picked up a 750+ lb bike. I guarantee you can pick up a sportbike with the right technique!

·
Calm like a bomb!
7,944 Posts
kevin_stevens said:

Alex, going for a ride this afternoon?

KeS
Thanks Kev...the pics explain it much better.

I was trying to think of how to write it out and it didnt quite come out right. :)

(The bikes down for maint, brakes, new chain, etc...it will be a few weeks. I need to buy Tom his tire too so I am trying to do everything while the weather is cold. Planning a track day for sometime early summer...I know you'll be game for that right Kev.)

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
I lost my balance and slipped on some leaves a a couple weeks back and I can't tell you how mf'n pissed I was , thank god for sliders anywhoo I dunno if I was able to do becuase I was soo bloody mad and had a lot of adrenaline or becuase of the way I did it . My bike is about 420 wet so I just angled myself kinda leaning into the bike , not pulling directly up and used my legs to push as well as my arms to pull. I dunno if that makes sense but worked for me , but I think my pissed off state helped quite a bit too

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
bet that was the adreneline rush. I've seen people tip over and get the bike back up in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the link!!! Hopefully I won't have to try it out any time soon, though!! :cheers

·
"Blah Blah Blah"
14,676 Posts
what they say is true......my foot slipped one day on my
fathers 1500 goldwing in the garage.....I used the backward way they speak of.......it was'nt easy but I did it.......and it weighs 990lbs dry!

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Iceman_954rr said:
Thanks Kev...the pics explain it much better.

I was trying to think of how to write it out and it didnt quite come out right. :)

(The bikes down for maint, brakes, new chain, etc...it will be a few weeks. I need to buy Tom his tire too so I am trying to do everything while the weather is cold. Planning a track day for sometime early summer...I know you'll be game for that right Kev.)
I'm up for trackdays, sure. Spent today tooling around dialing suspension in. Lee's got it basically set up, but there's always preferences (I like more rebound and less compression damping, usually), and trying to get the rear to match the front. Getting close now.

KeS

·
Registered
177 Posts
A friend and I picked up her Harley Street Bob--it was down on its right peg. She was still straddling the bike and I stood on the left peg. It came right up.

But, if I were alone, I would definitely try the backwards way. I saw that technique in a video and it looks effective. You use the muscles in your legs and save your back.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
kevin_stevens said:

Thanks for posting this link, Kevin. I was out shopping all day, so I'm just now getting to this thread, but that's exactly what I would have suggested. :cheers

In fact, this question comes up with enough regularity, that I think it deserves a sticky. It's good information to have on hand.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Yeah, I have it stashed away for such occasions. Personally, I'm with B. - I'm always so pissed when I drop my bike that I just pick the damn thing up. The hard part for me is remembering to put it in gear and deploy the sidestand so I don't toss it over on the other side.

K12RS' do bounce - but not well. :)

KeS

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
great, now my idiocy is forever immortalized as a sticky... :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
:eek:nfloor

Oh, I'm sorry Rebe, I didn't mean it like that. You aren't the only who has dropped a bike before, believe me! :lao

·
Registered
674 Posts
Rebe I know you don't want to but you should probably lay your bike down, I mean gentle as to not hurt anything and practice picking it up. Don't leave it down for long or it will flood but trust me you need to make sure you can.
That's the first thing Chris made me do when I got mine. If you go down on the street (esp. by yourself) you get really pumped or get panicey and you may not remember the right tecnique. I went down in the middle of a major intersection in the rain and had to pick the bike up by myself covered in oil. Not fun but I did it b/c I had been taught how.
If you don't want to do it backwards try this, works best if you have frame siders: grab your frame slider that's facing the ground with one hand and your handle bar with the other, you can tip it just slightly up and get your body under it and use you legs to push it up. DO NOT USE YOUR BACK YOU'LL NEVER GET IT UP! This has always worked for me.
Just a different way, I'm not saying the other ways are wrong :D

Don't feel bad about the sticky, I'm sure other girls have the same question, and everyone has done it or will do it at some point in time.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yep, that's how I lift my bike, with the legs not my back. First time I got it I laid it down on a blanket in the grass and practiced lifting it up. I didn't want my first attempt at getting it back up to be out in the public eye, after dropping it or something. No need to embarrass myself further.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts