Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few for sale fairly cheap. Some look decent but have a little "blueing" to them. If you do buy take offs, whats a good rule of thumb to go by, if any? Of course I'm talking about race tires and such.

·
Registered
109 Posts
V V V said:
I've seen a few for sale fairly cheap. Some look decent but have a little "blueing" to them. If you do buy take offs, whats a good rule of thumb to go by, if any? Of course I'm talking about race tires and such.
I buy take offs... Rule of thumb, trust and know who you are buying them from.

I know the guy who sells them to me, I know what bike he rides, I know he uses warmers, and I trust him.

You can check the tire yourself as far as tread, etc. However, heatcycles can destroy a tire and not show in the tread itself sometimes. Blueing is just showing how fast they were running those tires. It is not a good thing sometimes, however, it can be used still.

I flip my tires and have had no problems. Some people are completely against this and some are for it. There are valid points on both sides, but my tires give me enough feel to know when they are done...

If you get a set, don't go balls out your first session! Try to get a feel for the tire, once you are confident in them, go at it. Just remember to check them and listen to the bike and how it is handling with them. I have saved enourmous amount of money using take offs.

Although, now I've gotten to the point where I am too fast to use them and am going to have to start shelling out the big $$ for warmersand new tyres! ACK! ;/

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I don't know anyone personally. I've just seen them posted on different race forums.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have sold numerous sets on ebay. Several to the same guy on ebay, I just send him an email with a heads up and he will bid on them......

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
i have like 3 sets in my garage, maybe i need to start doing that...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stimy25 said:
I have sold numerous sets on ebay. Several to the same guy on ebay, I just send him an email with a heads up and he will bid on them......

Send me a linky next time you list a set. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I usually ask the general questions; how many heat cycles, races, practice laps has the tires been thru. My general rule of thumb, if they have more then three heat cycles then I won't bid on them. I usually ask if they were on tire warmers or just ran cold. You can usually tell by the email responses you'll get back; however, it's eBay so you have some risk.

+1 on the ebay link for take offs.

·
Registered
308 Posts
V V V said:
I buy all my tires, take-offs. I try to talk to the seller and see how knowledgable the previous rider was on them. I've bought 3 sets off the same guy I know on ebay because they're just in so darn well condition. Tires w/ 2~3 trackdays on them +tire warmers are what I look for. I try to be cautious about some that look like they've gone through too many heat cycles.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I have bought all of mine from the same guy on ebay, he is out of CA somewhere and has a great selection. I am not the greatest rider out there so for as I am learning the ropes take offs are great, and cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts