Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can regular tire places balance tires or is there something different than car tires that balance motorcycle tires. i've got them mounted i just need to get them balanced now. how much do people usually charge for a balance?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Car tires use the same principal, but they usually have a machine that spins the tire. I don't know if a motorcycle rim will fit on that. I just do it myself by hand.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I work at Tire Kingdom....and we can't really do anything with motorcycle tires. Even if they were dismounted already....we MIGHT be able to mount tires up, but we don't do it as a policy.....but as far as balancing goes...I dont think our balancers will do bike tires. We have 'cones' that go through the center holes in rims to balance them...I'm not sure if any of our cones will fit a bike rim. Not to mention if the machines can be calibrated for a rim that size.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
At LEAST remove the old weights.....theyre probably hurting more than helping at this point. And yeah, balance that sucker immediately! Otherwise you're going to have some serious stability issues at higher speeds. You probably havent noticed it just because it's the back tire....if it was the front I'm sure you would feel the vibration immediately.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
on a side note:

probably applies to bike wheels as well, but with car wheels the wheels should balance with no more than 3 or 4 ounces. ive seen some cars with way too much weight on the wheels.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Keyword is SHOULD....they don't always though. Definitely shouldn't be much weight on a bike rim though. ON a car rim however.....I swear, hitting curbs is becoming an olympic sport. This....poor rim quality...any other rim deformations...all increase the amount of weight it takes to balance them. One to two ounces is about normal for a car...I imagine the same is so for a bike.

Just make sure whoever balances it is competent. Weight placement, and a correct amount, is very important. And if they do any counterbalancing on it...go somewhere else. Counterbalancing is for idiots who can't get it right the first time and are too lazy to remove the weight, respin and try again.

(Counter balancing is placing weights on opposing sides of the rim, on one side....or say, one weight about 2 inches from another.)

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
ricochet105 said:
Car tires use the same principal, but they usually have a machine that spins the tire. I don't know if a motorcycle rim will fit on that. I just do it myself by hand.
How is it done??? I'm really interested on how to do it because I haven't found a single freaking place that balances tires here in Mex. City.

·
Registered
765 Posts
HalfLiterBeater said:
Counterbalancing is for idiots who can't get it right the first time and are too lazy to remove the weight, respin and try again.

(Counter balancing is placing weights on opposing sides of the rim, on one side....or say, one weight about 2 inches from another.)
So Suzuki is idiots ? Because my Gixxer has two weights on the rear rim.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
There should be two weights, or two weight GROUPS, TOTAL. One on either side of the rim. More than one weight on the same rim side...if there's any distance between them, or theyre opposite of eachother while still being on the SAME side (side as in left side of the rim, or right side of the rim)...THEN they're idiots.

If you have, say, two weights side by side, on one side of the rim...that's ok. But if there's maybe an inch or two between them, or more...then that's a bad balance.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Ok, I attached a picture...this should clear things up for ya.

And note, that two weights placed NEXT TO eachother is ok too. For example, placing two 0.5 oz weights side by side...this will make the equivalent of a 1 oz weight, if for example, the shop is out of 1 oz weights. It happens. ;)

Attachments

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
That's normal. I only showed the side view with one weight because of course you can't see the other weight on the opposite side. I just showed the side view so you can get a good visual of what counterbalancing actually is. It's just putting weights on opposing sides. Which means, the actual weight should be placed somewhere in BETWEEN the two. And if, say, one weight is 1 oz and the other weight is 0.25 oz....the ACTUAL weight amount will often be the difference of the two, or 0.75 oz.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Can someone please tell me how to balance my tires??? (DIY balancing)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Try TireQwik. They sell an affordable purpose-built balancer for motorcycle wheels/tires. Works great, very sensitive.

Might also check out this link for detailed instructions on mouting/balancing motorcycle tires/wheels. Goes into a LOT of detail, but very helpful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'll remove the old weights and see what it does. i was riding home last night on the freeway and anything 100mph+ shakes horribly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts