Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw Mystic River last night. Directed by Clint Eastwood, starting Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, and Kevin Bacon. Did anyone notice that the only black guy in the movie played by Laurence Fishborne was named Whitey Powers? I mean, doesn't that strike you kind of weird? White Power? Whitey Powers? Only black guy in the movie? Was that some kind of statement? I'm not trying to say it was racist, maybe it was anti racist in some way. I dunno, but I swear, three times in that movie at least he was introduced as Whitey Powers. Anyone catch this?

By the way it's a great movie. Story is OK, but the acting is excellent.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I noticed that too, took me a minute to really grasp his name. I don't know if it's some kind of hidden message or not. Yes, it was a good movie.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My wife and I checked it out. It struck me right away that his name was Whitey Powers. It was the same in the book. There was a lot of symbolism and irony in the movie and more so in the book. It was a part of the psychie of the story...which was twisted in itself....a good movie though, a much better book.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
i dunno, i imagine his name was such for enterainment purposes. now that i think about it, would any black person name their son 'whitey'? i just checked to see what race Whitey Ford was...lol

i wasn't too impressed with the movie, it moved kinda slow.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so it wasn't just me and I guess if that was the name in the book then it must carry some kind of meaning. Wonder what. Just as another side note, did anyone notice that when they were reviewing all the names of the employees that worked for the liquor store one of them was named Dookie Brown or something?

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
wierd ass movie.....in a good way. but it was kinda slow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts