Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all quick question, 94 gs500e was running a bit lean on one side and rich on the other and wouldn't go about 55. So after I rode on it for a few days I pulled the 01 carbs out to clean. There was a lot of gunk through the main and midmain jet. The air fuel screw tip was broken off and I got the tip out and now I'm waiting on a new one. But I put it all back together (including the broken screw) and started her up. Now she blows a ton of white smoke. Would that be because of that mixture screw

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean to say, smelly burned oil white smoke? That would be bad.
It had a smell to it but I wouldn't say it smelled. Maybe though. If it did what would your suggestion be? I'm hoping its a cylinder that wasnt firing before but after the cleaning it got going and is cleaning itself out (it wont go past 60 at like 5-6k rpms. I did find some oil arojd the air filter but I'm not sure how long that's been there. It still sounds fine minus the broken fuel screw :p I'm going to check the oil. Let it run for like 20 minutes and check again to see if its burning any or if it was old oil in a cylinder. I bought it used and not running so I'm not sure what its suppose to sound or feel like.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Might just be running really rich on that one cyl with the broken screw. If it was oil, it would smell like burning rubber. Fuel would have a sweet smell to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might just be running really rich on that one cyl with the broken screw. If it was oil, it would smell like burning rubber. Fuel would have a sweet smell to it.
I'm hoping that's it. I thought black smoke was for gas though? Worst case isn't that bad right now it still runs and sounds fine. Wishful thinking haha

·
Registered
86 Posts
Running rich gives you black smoke not white. Running rich is acceptable to some point. Running lean = no bueno at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Running rich gives you black smoke not white. Running rich is acceptable to some point. Running lean = no bueno at all.
So does running lean make whitish smoke? If the tip of the screw was broken it would run rich though wouldn't it

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Sometimes when a cylinder hasn't been firing properly, oil residue can build up in there, as its not being burned off like it normally would be thru normal operation. Once you get it running right, it might take a little while before the oil is burned out of there. You could ride it for a while, like 30 mins, to see if the smoking goes away. I would do a compression test to see if the rings and valves are okay, too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sometimes when a cylinder hasn't been firing properly, oil residue can build up in there, as its not being burned off like it normally would be thru normal operation. Once you get it running right, it might take a little while before the oil is burned out of there. You could ride it for a while, like 30 mins, to see if the smoking goes away. I would do a compression test to see if the rings and valves are okay, too.
You just became my best friend because that's exactly what I am planning on doing as soon as my air screw comes in, I will check oils before and after to see if I lost any

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Checking your oil level before and after won't really show anything. If you're burning that much oil, that thing would barely run. If it is a build up of oil in there, it's already in the cylinder, and all other things being normal, it's not really all that much. Again, if the smoke doesn't go away with normal riding within a few miles, a compression gage is in order.
And if it still doesn't go faster than what you said, there's a serious problem. Stop riding it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts