Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to get a better windscreen that will offer more protection from the wind for my winter riding. Don't much care about the looks so long as it keeps the cold air off me. I'm 6', riding an '07 FZ6. The wind hits me between my helmet and chest right now. I made it through last winter, but am wanting something warmer for this year.

I'd appreciate comments from people who've actually owned b***** aftermarket windscreens. Thanks for any help. (and yes, I tried searching...)
I remember seeing a post of a few guys knocking the b***** Yamaha windsheild, but they never said why?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Can't speak to the '07 version, but I really like the Yamaha Tall windshield that I put on my '04. It takes a lot of wind off, and has eliminated the "helmet-bob" that I had with the stocker at high speed. I don't do track work anymore, so it works for me.

Also keeps a lot of bugs off my helmet shield. I grew up in Greenville SC , so I know that's a big benefit there.

I assume the same benefit for the '07 version over the stock one. Can anyone with a newer one comment?

·
'The Cartographer'
114 Posts
Hey ANLR21, how tall are you?

I've read some not so positive reviews of the taller Yamaha windshield. I'm pretty short at 5'9" and was wondering where this would place the air stream for me.

For me the stock windshield ( 05' FZ6 ) causes a some helmet bobbing and a lot of noise. If I stand up, at speed, it's smooth and very quiet.

Thanks,

-rodney

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
best thing for winter riding is heated grips. i wear a ski neck protector, and it works great
Yeah, I have have all that, except my neck protector is for snowmobiling/motorcycling, not skiing. But I think I'd still be a little warmer with the wind not hitting me so much. I ride 45 min. each way to work year round, and it isnt' uncommon to be in the low teens...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You get winters in South Carolina?:eatpop

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the CalSci Medium on my 07 and it works great makes a huge different on the hwy. I am 5'11" and the stock windscreen was putting all the air right into my chest as well, on my 33 mile (one way) commute I felt like I was getting beat on all the way, after I put the screen on it is a much better ride

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where did you get the CalSci from and do you have pics with it on? I am also 5'11" and the wind can get bad. I plan on riding most of the year so I need all the help I can get to stay warm.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CalSci Yamaha FZ6 Windshields

Quick shipping got mine in 3 days Cali to Colo
Thanks for the info. I'll definitly be checking into that one. It is a bit pricey, but sounds like it is worth it. I'm just looking for something for the colder weather, so I shouldn't mind the kinda ugly looks. It isn't too bad, but makes it look much less sporty...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You get winters in South Carolina?:eatpop
Yeah, kinda. lol. I live in the upstate, near the mtns. It is usually around 20 degrees when I leave in the mornings Dec. thru Feb. The rides home are in the 40s and 50s.

I've been reading alot about that Cal Sci +9 and I have yet to see a bad review!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks also for the info, this will be my first winter here in WA, they say it gets down in the teens so probably won't be doing too much riding then but who knows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts