Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judging from the title, I am obviously in the market for a new phone. I am eligible for an upgrade next month, so I guess I should figure out what to buy! I am grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan at AT&T, so I'll be sticking with that carrier.

I've had iPhones for the last 5 years. I think I'm ready to move on and give an android-based phone a try. There are many things I really, really dislike about the iPhone, with iTunes at the top of that list. I want to be able to simply plug it into a computer and drag and drop files and have them accessible on the phone. I also dislike the shitty battery life with no option of just replacing the battery with a fresh one, no option for additional storage space, and the many, many glitches (this, I'm quite sure will be a complaint with any smart phone). Even though I have a bunch of complaints about the iPhone, there are also good points to it, mainly the huge app market.

Anyone have the Galaxy SIII? Good, bad, ugly? Same with the new iPhone (though I kinda already know what to expect). Or any other good touchscreen smartphones?

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Anyone have the Galaxy SIII? Good, bad, ugly? Same with the new iPhone (though I kinda already know what to expect). Or any other good touchscreen smartphones?
I have a year on mine (even though I'm pretty sure I'm paying full truck on my next phone to keep my unlimited plan).

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (Verizon Wireless) - Long-lasting phones (pictures) - CNET Reviews

I noticed the first is a Motorola. I really liked the Moto version on the UI, one thing to remember is that Android isn't company, its an Operating System, so every manufacturer tinkers with it and the UI's all have little detail stuff that is different.

I really am not a big fan of HTC Sense, the Motorola was much more smoothly integrated. I can't tell you how much of that is that I had the Moto first, but that is my take.

Reactions: max384

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I'm in the same boat as max, can upgrade at any time. I to am I long time iphone user, hate itunes on WinOS.

Is there a way to get my itunes play lists and podcasts from itune to an Android OS phone?

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
I'm in the same boat as max, can upgrade at any time. I to am I long time iphone user, hate itunes on WinOS.

Is there a way to get my itunes play lists and podcasts from itune to an Android OS phone?

How to sync iTunes with Android | How To - CNET

That or just get them all on your computer and make them back into MP3s, they its just a matter of drag and drop.

Reactions: acalliste

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I have the iPhone 5. Came from a Droid 2 Global. Honestly, I prefer the iOS system. One thing that has come up with the new iPhone is the Apple Maps "fiasco". Honestly, it's never given me problems. Gotten me to my destinations, had everything I was looking for, and gives me turn by turn navigation with actually speaking the street names. My Droid didn't do that.

As much of a gimmick Siri is, it's useful when you're driving and need to get directions. Just hold the home button, say I need directions to wherever, and you automatically get turn by turn nav without having to touch anything else. Haven't had any issues with that as well.

I think either way you go, you'll be happy. One thing that I will say though, is I have 3 people at work who all upgraded to Droid Nexus's around the same time, and all 3 are having a lot of issues with their phones. Not sure if it's just that particular hardware, but that turned me off from the Nexus at least. I was going to give the iPhone a shot and if I didn't like it, go to the SIII. So far, I like it so I am keeping it.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I have the iPhone 5. Came from a Droid 2 Global. Honestly, I prefer the iOS system. One thing that has come up with the new iPhone is the Apple Maps "fiasco". Honestly, it's never given me problems. Gotten me to my destinations, had everything I was looking for, and gives me turn by turn navigation with actually speaking the street names. My Droid didn't do that.

As much of a gimmick Siri is, it's useful when you're driving and need to get directions. Just hold the home button, say I need directions to wherever, and you automatically get turn by turn nav without having to touch anything else. Haven't had any issues with that as well.

I think either way you go, you'll be happy. One thing that I will say though, is I have 3 people at work who all upgraded to Droid Nexus's around the same time, and all 3 are having a lot of issues with their phones. Not sure if it's just that particular hardware, but that turned me off from the Nexus at least. I was going to give the iPhone a shot and if I didn't like it, go to the SIII. So far, I like it so I am keeping it.
there's tons of nav aps on the android market that have turn by turn nav saying the street names etc. google nav, waze, mapquest, are just 3. some are full on nav aps that store the map on the phone so it doesn't need internet or cell service to work. ups and fedex uses one but I forget the name of it.
all android phones have the google voice search. mine works great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have never had an iPhone, but I just upgraded from a DroidX to the Samsung Galaxy S3. I really liked the DroidX, but the Samsung is much better. the only issues I have seen so far seem to be related to a couple of third party apps, not a fault in the overall phone.

Reactions: max384

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
pretty simple choice to me

never liked iphone whatsoever. maybe its just the turn off of idiot people camping outside in the cold for a week to get one. when comparing the stats its clear that its similiar if not inferior to other phones.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice so far. One other thing that I forgot to mention that I like about Apple is the huge array of aftermarket items available for it, such as chargers, cases, motorcycle mounts, etc.

never liked iphone whatsoever. maybe its just the turn off of idiot people camping outside in the cold for a week to get one. when comparing the stats its clear that its similiar if not inferior to other phones.
When the iPhone first came out, it was unlike anything else on the market. It just absolutely blew the competition out of the water... But it seems like they've been more concerned with aesthetics than keeping up with technology ever since other makers have challenged it with their advanced smartphones.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I also have the iphone 5 and I agree with everything that arcticam said about... I was a little nervous after I pre-ordered it and then the apple maps glitches started hitting the media, however it has never done me wrong.

I switched from an android also and prefer iOS, but I knew that I had that preference before I switched.

I will also add that I'm getting 2 days between charges... 6am one morning til about 10pm the next night... so not 2 FULL days, but roughly 40 hours.

My advice would be that if you're going to get and android get a popular one like the SIII because as mentioned previously there are a lot of different companies with a lot of different devices and the android operating system doesn't seem to play very nicely with some of them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just got a galaxy s3 after having an I phone 4s for about a year and I have to say I absolutely love it. The only complaint I have at all is the batter seems to drain about as quick as my I phone did but I guess that's pretty much any smart phone now days. And im like you with the drag n drop vs syncing with iTunes. Much simpler Imo. Also it seems there's a better selection of apps and that a lot of the apps that a free for Android are still being charged for in the iTunes app store. But yea, if I were you id definitely check out the galaxy s3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
freetors
640 Posts
How to sync iTunes with Android | How To - CNET

That or just get them all on your computer and make them back into MP3s, they its just a matter of drag and drop.
I tried to use double twist a while ago and it sounds nice but in practice really blows. If you're expecting a sync to be as simple as just plugging it in like your iphone/pod, it isn't. Every time time you add new stuff to your library and want to put it on your phone it has to resync ALL of the phone's library instead of recognizing what's new and selectively syncing.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts

First, what other people do to acquire a piece of gear really has no relevance to the usefulness of said gear.

Second, straight hardware specs tell you very little (actually almost nothing) about the real-world performance on a device like a phone. The software is HIGHLY optimized for either one, and the hardware is completely different architectures.

Unless you're running the same OS on both pieces of hardware, it means nothing.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Unless you're running the same OS on both pieces of hardware, it means nothing.

With the same apps the same settings. I've "fixed" at least 15 peoples phones that were letting every app bang away with the GPS/4G anytime it wanted to.

......well yeah, no shit you battery only lasts a couple hours you may as well be running the phone full throttle for 10 hours at a time.

The iPhone does all of that for you.

No one will ever convince me to buy an apple product for that reason. I screw with EVERYTHING, and telling me I can't or that it will void the warranty is a dealbreaker.

....well that and iTunes, I fucking hate that program, with a passion.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I'm in the market for a new phone too. I've had a Motorola Attrix for the last couple years and love it, but I'm thinking about giving the Iphone5 a try. The b***** screen and better processor finally makes it comparable to the best android phones. Tough decision.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
The iPhone does all of that for you.

No one will ever convince me to buy an apple product for that reason. I screw with EVERYTHING, and telling me I can't or that it will void the warranty is a dealbreaker.
Eh, if you really think about it, thats kind of a 21st century luddite thing. As technology progresses, you inevitably have to rely on the previous/underlying technology that its built on.

For my desktop or a server, sure, I'd agree that you need all the control you can get. But a mobile devices is a very different thing. I'd argue that what makes mobile devices powerful is that they ARE simplified. When I pull my phone out of my pocket, its because I need data quickly, or a task completed quickly. That's it.

I bought an HTC One X earlier this year and really tried the android thing. To me, its just not as polished. I spend more time dicking around with the quirkiness of the OS, which is fine for a linux box, but the opposite of what I want in a mobile device.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I have no desire to jailbreak my phone. And as far as the specs go, benchmarks do put the s3 ahead of the iPhone but not by much.

I like the apple os, and I like that there is more support for old models. Most droid phones don't tend to continue getting updates 3 or 4 years after they are released.

Basically, you can't go wrong with any of the flagship phones. Pick which one you like better and be done. I don't think the iPhone is the greatest out there, but neither is anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 20 of 81 Posts