1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
have you had an opportunity to try them on? not all boots fit the same.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
What size do you wear? Since I traded the aprilia for the R12, I'm going to be selling my track boots. Alpinestars SMX-Plus, size 46 (11.5-12). Like new. I only wore them twice.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have you had an opportunity to try them on? not all boots fit the same.
Was gonna buy online...might be able to swing by a shop in the area. Rolling the dice, I know.

I would stick with sidi , there a good boot and you know they fit your feet .
One reason I was leaning that way. Between the two models though? Should I just assume the more expensive one is better?

What size do you wear? Since I traded the aprilia for the R12, I'm going to be selling my track boots. Alpinestars SMX-Plus, size 46 (11.5-12). Like new. I only wore them twice.
I'm usually at least a 13 & I heard A*s run small. I appreciate it though.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I wear the vertbra and they are now discontinued . So I have no first hand knowlage of the newer range yet . I would assume the most expensive will be the better boot from a single manufacturers range .The more expensive ones came with goretex and more armour last time I looked at them . I will need a new pair for summer so I will be interested to hear what you think whichever you get .

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wear the vertbra and they are now discontinued . So I have no first hand knowlage of the newer range yet . I would assume the most expensive will be the better boot from a single manufacturers range .The more expensive ones came with goretex and more armour last time I looked at them . I will need a new pair for summer so I will be interested to hear what you think whichever you get .
Definitely man- I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Don't get the SMX-5. I have a pair of them... I can't say that they've been awful, as I did go down and came out without injury, so they did perform well in a low-side for what it's worth. However, I hate the velcro closure at the top of the boot. If you brush your leg up against a peg wrong, it's not hard to pop the closure loose. Which is a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Don't get the SMX-5. I have a pair of them... I can't say that they've been awful, as I did go down and came out without injury, so they did perform well in a low-side for what it's worth. However, I hate the velcro closure at the top of the boot. If you brush your leg up against a peg wrong, it's not hard to pop the closure loose. Which is a pain in the butt.
Your a harsh critic .

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Your a harsh critic .
Maybe. At the price point, they're not bad. But the closure is a genuine pain in the butt. Consider the following.

My track bike has no side-stand, so the only stand I use is a rear-stand. It's annoying to get all suited up, fire up the bike, slowly drop it off the stand on a semi-uneven surface without knocking it over, and work my way around and hop on. And then feel my boot pop loose as I mount the bike. Which means I have to get off, hold it up while I track down my stand, fix the boot, and repeat the process. I know I'm a whiner, but it's a lame deal.

I will say they did do their job well in my lowside, so they do work.

I'd recommend spending the extra money and get the SMX-Plus. Great boot with a motocross-style closure and inner lacing. The lacing system is a huge plus if you're like me and have abnormally skinny legs/ankles. Every Sidi boot I've ever tried has been loose enough through the ankle for my heel to be bouncing around.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've had A-Star boots and I must agree about the annoying velcro on the inside. It does comes off during the many traffic foot down stops. As the velcro gets older, it also starts to work less efficiently. I felt that I liked the Sidi more especially due to the feel of the materials and fit.

But now, I got a Dainese TRQ and if you look around, you can find it for around $250 and some change. Perfect boot. I can't say anything negative about them and the entry/exit is brilliant. Plus, they look the tits.

Reactions: KnuckleBallz
1 - 16 of 16 Posts