Sport Bikes banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Not too sure but is there a number to look out for? If you can point me in the right direction of a good compressor, I'm just trying to save some money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ended up going with an Asturo WB stainless steel mini gun. The guys at sraygunworld convinced me that it was the best gun in hat price range, period. I've searched far and wide for personal opinions on that gun and barely found anything.

However, the CFM (4.5) requirements fit my compressor ([email protected]) requirements better than the finex, so I went with it instead. Now I just gotta wait for the fricken florida weather to warm up a bit.

Primer: bought..... Paint: bought.... Weather??:bangdesk

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
Just as a heads up.. the Asturo AOM WB #878 is a waterborne gun. It was designed for the next generation of Water Based paints. I'm not saying it wont shoot a solvent based media (Urethane or Acrylic), but that if you're hoping the gun will last a while, I'd be anal about cleaning it thoroughly after each use, as the internal needling fluid packing may not be a copper or teflon seal and may not be solvent friendly. Don't soak it in laquer thinner over overnight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Whoo hooo :bangdesk

Sanded through the edge of the dent on my tank. Pinhole leak. Any suggestions?:hide

the dent is basically a flattened portion that originally had a rounded profile, so the edge of the dent is pretty sharp (almost 90 deg). I feel I may have sanded through a large portion of the edge in other places, so I'm leaning towards some POR-15 to build up the interior of the tank.

Im all ears.

Grashopr, check out the link for the "manual." Not sure which part needs to be copper of teflon. This is all the documentation that came with the gun.

http://aomspray.com/documents/878WBKIT.pdf

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
#6 on the parts diagram needs to be made out of a solvent-resistant material. As far as the pinhole leak; POR15's gas tank sealer will seal up the leak, however it'll also goober up your fuel pump.. you'll need to dismantle the entire assembly. If you can reach the back side of the pinhole, you can brush it on. Otherwise, the easiest way to fix it would be to take it to a local welder and ask him to weld it up using Silicon Bronze and to smooth it as much as possible.

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
The HV35 is designed to spray latex paint and woodworking stains. Just like the waterborne gun, it most likely CAN spray urethanes and acrylics, but even the Finishline guns will produce better results with an inexperienced user.

I'm all about Turbine Guns, but in the same way that an inexperienced rider should probably not start out on the Y2K turbine bike to learn the basics, a hobbyist painter or professional just starting out is going to get better results, learn faster and get more technical help from a 'standard' HVLP gravity feed gun that is sized correctly for the media that they are spraying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The WB is 5-6 CFM. It does BOTH waterbase and solvent based materials. In fact, according to the manufacturer it was tested in house by PPG paints solvent clears and beat a certain German Spray Gun whose name shall go unmentioned. To note, many of the aircaps and nozzles for the "waterbase" versions of the guns, are the same design as the solvent based version i.e. Devilbiss, EXCEPT the guns typically have more stainless steel in them.

The WB has all stainless steel fluid system, including fittings, and even the little fluid filter that goes in the cup is stainless. The Finex does not have a stainless steel fluid system.
The new Extreme version of the WB carries BOTH the S a ta Blue and Green systems in ONE GUN.

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
The WB is 5-6 CFM. It does BOTH waterbase and solvent based materials. In fact, according to the manufacturer it was tested in house by PPG paints solvent clears and beat a certain German Spray Gun whose name shall go unmentioned. To note, many of the aircaps and nozzles for the "waterbase" versions of the guns, are the same design as the solvent based version i.e. Devilbiss, EXCEPT the guns typically have more stainless steel in them.

The WB has all stainless steel fluid system, including fittings, and even the little fluid filter that goes in the cup is stainless. The Finex does not have a stainless steel fluid system.
The new Extreme version of the WB carries BOTH the S a ta Blue and Green systems in ONE GUN.

Where can I find this information at?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are going to get the finex, purchase the smaller Finex FX1000 Mini gun (298198 - 289222).
I use the .8 head for light grain metallics and most of my pearls and basecoats. Certain manufacturer's candy colors I'll use the .8, but sometimes I use the .6 depending on the viscocity of the candy.

I use the 1.0 and 1.1 for prime-ing.
Question.

There is a review on Amazon of the FX1000 which says:

"fx1000 is great for motorcycles!
By Andy on November 20, 2012 Size: 1.0 mm | Verified Purchase

I bought this gun because I paint motorcycles parts only ...... 1.0
is the correct tip size for automotive paint. The mini guns have
totally different inner parts than normal size hvlp guns. The 1.4
regular hvlp is the same as the 1.0 mini hvlp as far as tip sizes go
.....""
I asked Sharpe/Finex tech support about this and they said the 1.0 and 1.4 tip sizes are the same on the FX1000 and the FX3000. I also asked "so does this mean you can't spray high build primer using the FX1000 as this normally needs a larger (1.6mm-1.8mm) tip on the standard guns" and they said that was correct, you couldn't spray this with the FX1000, only thinner stuff.

What you write above makes me question what tech support said:

The Needle, Nozzle, Air Cap Kit Part numbers are different though:
Code:
FX1000
0.6	289286
0.8	289287
1.0	289288
1.2	289289
1.4	289290

FX3000
1.0	289296
1.3	289297
1.4	289298
1.5	289299
1.8	289300
I'd prefer the FX1000 as I'm spraying bikes but I'd just like to have some certainty on the above before buying.

I'll be spraying Standox paint and the mixing rep said 1.3mm or 1.4mm tip but he's referring to a full sized hvlp gun.

thanks for any tips

-----

41 - 52 of 52 Posts