Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a bit on oil for bikes and was wondering what most of you have been running in your 7's? I've been told to use the factory stuff, read that the factory stuff is just rebranded from whoever bids the lowest, read that any synthetic oil will work as long as it doesn't have friction reducing additives and now that I'm getting close to an oil change I figured now would be a good time to ask. I searched and found quite a bit of contradicting info, but would like to know what other people are running in the same bike that I've got.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
475 Posts
For the most part I use whatever I have. I just grab three quarts from the case of whatever brand i bought at the time.... sometimes valvoline, sometimes a Meijer brand. I just did a oil change today in fact, and was about to switch to Mobil 1 full synth 5w30, but decided against it at the last moment and went with the cheap stuff. I dunno.. I've tried the Golden Spectro's and Honda HP4 and GN4, but I don't do any racing, and lately I'm lucky if I get to put 1500 miles a season on the bike... As you already found out, there's all sorts of conflicting opinions on motor oil. All I can say it try some different brands and formulate your own opinions.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I use Amsoil 10w-40 syn and leave that mess in their at 5 to 6k.

I trust syn oil to do the job and not break down for that long.

·
Registered
400 Posts
How long do you wait to switch to synthetic?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Honda pro ( i prefer Motul, but its never in stock so i use the Honda, been using it in bikes for years with no problems.)

10w40

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Rotty said:

I would wait for the motor to be broken in first. Probably not until after 1500 miles at least.

Stone

·
Registered
220 Posts
Rotty said:
every dealership that i have asked this question to have all said to wait till the bike has 10,000 miles on it before using synthetic. ( i always asked the service center manager )

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Amish Marauder said:
every dealership that i have asked this question to have all said to wait till the bike has 10,000 miles on it before using synthetic. ( i always asked the service center manager )

That sounds reasonable if you have a car you plan on keeping for 100K+ miles. But 10K on a bike? Most people I know change bike every 2-3 years. They don't keep their bikes until 10k.

I went to synthetic at around 3K miles.

Stone

1 - 16 of 16 Posts