Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This section looks a little on the dead side, so not sure ill get an answer, but ill give this a shot. I just got an 04 GSXR 600, and Im about to do my first oil change in a week or so. Just wondering what brand and weight oil I should go with? Ive heard with it having a wet clutch its best to use Amsoil, or an oil that doesnt have any detergents in it. I dont really know the fucking difference, so Im gonna need clarification on that one :bangdesk

Id like to go full synthetic, unless its not advised?

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
The theory is you shouldn't use car oil because it isn't meant for wet clutches, and you could ruin your bike's clutch plates (they will slip) by using it. Esp synthetic. Nor does car oil lube the transmission like it does in bikes, so theoretically it's not up to the challenge. But lots of people will stand on their chairs and tell you that this is a bunch of malarkey and you can use car oil.

As I already said in your other thread, I have been using Mobil 1 4T synthetic motorcycle oil and can't complain. Before that I've always used motorcycle specific oil, because that's what I was taught.

But this subject is a little like discussing the best way to blow your nose, or which beer is the best. Everyone has their favorite and their reasons for it. Try doing a search on oil here and you'll see what I mean. You just have to sort through the bs and try out a few and see which one you like the best (price, availability, how much you believe it's hype, best combination of those things).

I know that doesn't help. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Ill do a search and a little more research, but in the end ill probably go with the Mobil 1. Its what Ive been using on my GLI, so it should be good enough for my bike

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The best thing to do is find the manual for that bike and use what the manual says to use. You can mose likely find a manyal you can at least read online.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Ill do a search and a little more research, but in the end ill probably go with the Mobil 1. Its what Ive been using on my GLI, so it should be good enough for my bike
As was stated, Mobil 1 4T is a motorcycle specific oil. Not the same Mobil 1 as you probably use in your GLI.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh i know. Im not gonna use regular mobil 1 in my bike lol. I just meant if mobil 1 oil in general is good enough for my gli its good enough for my bike

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
I love AMSOIL!!! The best!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts