Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Hate to start a thread for this, but I'm looking at a few first generation SV650's tonight and I'm hoping to get some owners opinions on which would be the best decision financially.

There seems to be two ranges of SV650's that keep popping up in my area:

Option 1: 1999-2002's with roughly 10-15K miles for around $3000-$3200.
Option 2: 1999-2002's with about 30K miles for roughly $2000-2200.

Considering the potential cost of repairs/maintenance for option 1 VS option 2's potential to depreciate, which option do you think would be the best financially?

I will most likely own the bike for around 10-15K miles if that affects which decision would be better.

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everyone,

Hate to start a thread for this, but I'm looking at a few first generation SV650's tonight and I'm hoping to get some owners opinions on which would be the best decision financially.

There seems to be two ranges of SV650's that keep popping up in my area:

Option 1: 1999-2002's with roughly 10-15K miles for around $3000-$3200.
Option 2: 1999-2002's with about 30K miles for roughly $2000-2200.

Considering the potential cost of repairs/maintenance for option 1 VS option 2's potential to depreciate, which option do you think would be the best financially?

I will most likely own the bike for around 10-15K miles if that affects which decision would be better.

Thanks a bunch
I think it depends how each individual bike has been cared for and maintained as well as condition of tires, brakes etc, you should get a sense of that from the craigslist ads. Low mileage is not always a great thing on older bikes because they sometimes sit and aren't maintained as well as ones that are ridden often IMO. 30k isn't bad mileage if a bike has been cared for either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As said...a full description and pics of both bikes needed to make a better comparison. But....go with your gut when dealing with the seller's!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As said...a full description and pics of both bikes needed to make a better comparison. But....go with your gut when dealing with the seller's!!!
When I narrow it down more I could post more information, but I agree with you in that your decision should largely be based off of your gut feeling when dealing with the seller so you guys seeing the ad could be redundant.

Our riding season is only a month longer and I just fractured my ankle yesterday, so I think I'm going to take my time and purchase this bike throughout the winter so that I can make sure to get an amazing deal on it.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I should end up with a great bike for a good price due to all your advice.

·
Registered
848 Posts
yep, proper maintenance means a lot more than the mileage. especially when it comes to tires.... dry rot can be all bad even if there is a ton of tread left.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
When dealing with "older" bikes conditions are MUCH more important than miles. For example, the higher miles bike could have spent all of its life in a garage, while the low miles bike could have spent most of its life parked outside. Good storage conditions will do wonders for rubber parts (gaskets, o-rings, hoses, seat, grips, hoses, etc) and plastics. Keep in mind that "dry rot" is not limited to tires, it affects all kind of rubber, you can have dry rot on radiator hoses... And then they blow up.

Of course, the better deal would be a low miles bike that has been garaged. An even better deal would be a "forgotten" bike, you know, the bike that someone bought, rode for a while and was forgotten once they got over the new toy...

BUT, being your first bike, stop thinking about this bike for the long term. It will be your first bike and likely will be replaced soon.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
As was said, maintenance history is important. See if you can get a good sense of what the current owner did (and didn't do) regarding regular maintenance. When I sold my '00 sv650 in '05 with 47K miles, a complete maintenance log gave the buyer confidence that what I knew to be true about the bike was indeed the case.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
^He's in Canada, broseph. That's about $2800 down here, and everyone and there mother prices high and just expects to be talked down a few hundred or so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is it hard to get a US bike registered in Canada? it'd probably be worth the trip so save a couple thousand dollars.
More then anything I'd just use that as an excuse for a vacation :) where would be the best place to shop for a bike in the States? *please say Southern California

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Northern California. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts