Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get my first pair of real motorcycle boots soon. I'm looking for something sporty, but because I'm not anywhere close to a track racer yet, it doesn't have to be a top of the line racer model. However, that's not to say I don't hope to work up to the level of some amateur track days over time. Another thing is that I would like boots that I can walk in comfortably too.

I've narrowed it down to the following...

Dainese K-Knight:

Alpinestars:

The Dainese above also comes in a zipper option. If I went with that one, I'm not sure which version would be better.

Anyhow, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
If you can afford it,go ahead and get the rickyracer boot and you can thank me later.I would have to drive at least 3,000 miles to go to a track and I have a pair of the rickyracers,won't leave home without them.

If you must buy one of the 2 you have in the pics,get the A-stars,they make a good boot and you'll be thankfull for those little slider plates if you ever drag your peg/foot.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the Dainese boots and I really like them. They are comfortable and the zipper version is also waterproof.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd also recommend the Alpinestars over the Dianese just because if you're doing track days, you want a real race type boot. I just got a pair of Oxtar TCS Sport's and they are awesome. They're extremely comfortable and easy to walk in(once they're broken in, which took about 2 days) and they are made extremely well. Look them up on newenough.com, they're right at $200 after shipping and you'll not be sorry. I'm sure the A* GPS boots are great too, but I decided on the Oxtar's and am very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out the Oxtars, and they do look great too. I am probably ruling out the A*s cause I read mixed reviews on that boot.

Anyhow, boots I'm considering now are the Oxtars mentioned above, the Dainese, and the Sidi Evo Strada. I considered the Dainese cause it has the minimum protection I'd like in a casual looking boot. The other boots seems to have more race features. Would these race features be overkill for regular street riding though?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
shamster said:
Would these race features be overkill for regular street riding though?

Untill you go down and you're stuck under the bike sliding down the road grinding your ankle bones to mush.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
alaska cajun said:
Untill you go down and you're stuck under the bike sliding down the road grinding your ankle bones to mush.
out of those two choices, get the alpinestars for the ankle protection. the ankle is a complicated joint and easy to jack in an accident...better to be fully protected.

the GPS-3 is a very comfortable boot. I wear them all day in an office/laboratory environment.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was debating between the GPS-3 and the Joe Rocket Hard Drive. I ended up getting the Hard Drive boot. Very comfortable, waterproof, and very protective. I couldn't be happier. I wear them over my leathers or under my jeans no problem. Love them.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
"Would these race features be overkill for regular street riding though?"

Well, I was wearing 10" tall leather boots when i went down, and now my ankle has a screw in it, and my leg about 4" above my ankle has a metal plate and screws in it. I was riding to the gf's house to go for a walk in the afternoon, and not on a track.

Now I absolutely will not throw a leg over a bike unless I have on my SMX+ race boots. They are full race boots, toe slider, heel slider, calf slider, etc., and I walk around in them fine.

I would go with the A*'s boots also, for the protection. I owned the regular GPS before my SMX+'s and they were nice boots. They way I see it, you can listen to people who know, because they've been there, or you can find out the hard way.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is almost no such thing as overkill on the street, especially since the street can be alot more dangerous than the track because you'll never get cremed by a SUV on the track. I went with the Oxtar TCS Sports and am very glad I did. I do not regret not getting a more casual boot at all, I know I would have regretted it if I had gone the other way. Get the TCS and be happy with your decision. It's completely ocmfortable enough to wear all day at work(though I do change into sneakers, I just leave a pair at work) and they're awesome on the bike. I'll never wear regular shoes/boots on a bike again. I'm going to post up my review of the Oxtar TCS's in the next day or so, so look out for it.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
I just bought a pair of Joe Rocket Orbit boots from New Enough.com.... Don't know how they are going to feel yet, but I am no where close to being a racer myself.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You don't need to be a "racer" to use race boots. The fact is that race style boots will protect you alot better than the other kind of boots. Just like you don't have to be riding on a track to wear a one piece suit, plenty of people use them on the streets. If you want better protection then get a race boot. If you don't think your feet are too terribly important, or want some high tech hardware in your foot(like titanium pins) then wear a regular boot. The more casual styles like the Orbit's and Icon's Superduty have better protection than a hiking boot, but you can still break your ankle very easily in one of those boots. I've heard plenty of stories of people getting their feet trashed when they have casual style riding boots on.

That's just my $0.02, race boots are just much better at protecting your feet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts