Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Asus has been in the market for a while, mostly known for high quality components but they have been selling whole systems under the Asus brand for at least 5 years now. They also have a big business in the OEM side of things.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
If you build a PC with the same name brand components as Mac Pro, it would cost less than 50% of the apple, run just as fast.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
If you build a PC with the same name brand components as Mac Pro, it would cost less than 50% of the apple, run just as fast.
Right. And it would cost 50% of a pre-built windows machine as well. I built my desktop for $800. Pre-built, it would have been anywhere from $1600-1800.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Right. And it would cost 50% of a pre-built windows machine as well. I built my desktop for $800. Pre-built, it would have been anywhere from $1600-1800.
I've must have had bad luck then. I was just attempting to build a pc from parts off newegg. A built PC from various brands were all fairly close to the total price it would be on newegg parts.

·
Registered
228 Posts
2 years ago I bought an asus g72gx. My laptop still boots from a cold start to viewing emails in 47 seconds. And if that's not fast enough for you, you can use asus's proprietary software "express gate" that mimics linux, to boot into even faster. You can get a nice g72 used on ebay for under 500.

Asus's is top notch stuff, you will be hard pressed to find a better electronics manufacturer.

Fuck a bunch of macs, don't be an isheep. There is nothing special about the os, other than its dumbed down so even the least computer savy person can navigate it. I can only imagine that's why there's one mouse button instead of two. And apples refusal to play nice with others and standardize certain things will continue to be welcomed with a big middle finger.

If you just insist on osx, dual boot hackintosh is the only answer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
To re-affirm that ASUS makes good products, check out this survey on
squidoo:

Best Gaming Motherboards 2012

With almost 600 total votes puts ASUS far in the lead:
Asus (58.6%)
58.6%
Asrock (7.5%)
7.5%
Gigabyte (21.7%)
21.7%
Intel (9.8%)
9.8%
Other (2.4%)
2.4%

In addition to this, I've respected ASUS as a good company going on 10+ years now when looking for motherboards, and have heard very few if no complaints at all about them.

And a quote from their website:
ASUS
The No. 1 Motherboard Manufacturer in the World
ASUS is the number one manufacturer of motherboards in the world, commanding almost a 40% market share of the motherboard business. Today, one in every three computers houses an ASUS motherboard. Over 24 million motherboards were sold in 2008—the combined length of which equals 10,000 Taipei 101 skyscrapers and 600 Himalaya Ranges.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Asus has been around many years. Good quality stuff. Price being equal I would go with them.

that being said I have an Acer laptop - Quad core AMD processor, 500GB HDD, 17.3" HD display, Win 7 that I purchased going on two years ago for around $480.00. Liked it so well I found the same model online for $100.00 less and bought another for home use.

It boots up fast and I'm surfing and checking email in < 2min btw ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Im going with the Asus. Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. Wish they made it in 14" and a little bit lighter, but ill take the 15.6"

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Have you considered a tablet since you want more portability? If all you're doing is listening to music and surfing the internet, it may make sense to go that route. Plus, the battery life is pretty good nowadays.

You have the iPad, Microsoft Surface, and Google Nexus tablets all basically in your price range. Refurbished iPad 3's with 64GB of storage is $550 (new, non-refurbished 32GB is $600), 32GB Nexus is $500, 32GB Microsoft Surface with the black touch cover is $600.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
2 years ago I bought an asus g72gx. My laptop still boots from a cold start to viewing emails in 47 seconds.

Fuck a bunch of macs, don't be an isheep. There is nothing special about the os, other than its dumbed down so even the least computer savy person can navigate it.
I've never cared about stats like that because I can have an up-time of 30 days and be peachy. Restarting my computer is just something i never really do.

How can ease of use possibly be negative? I like the OS so much I bought another MacBook in 2010, so what REALLY MATTERS (personal satisfaction) is there. I could care less about how many or how few people use the same products I do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've never cared about stats like that because I can have an up-time of 30 days and be peachy. Restarting my computer is just something i never really do.

How can ease of use possibly be negative? I like the OS so much I bought another MacBook in 2010, so what REALLY MATTERS (personal satisfaction) is there. I could care less about how many or how few people use the same products I do.
Neither do I, but this is a laptop we are talking about, not a home pc. So bootup time will come in as a factor.

Because the second you want to do any work "under the hood" you're boned. If that's the kinda OS you like, go for it.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Neither do I, but this is a laptop we are talking about, not a home pc. So bootup time will come in as a factor.

Because the second you want to do any work "under the hood" you're boned. If that's the kinda OS you like, go for it.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Fuck a bunch of macs, don't be an isheep. There is nothing special about the os, other than its dumbed down so even the least computer savy person can navigate it. I can only imagine that's why there's one mouse button instead of two. And apples refusal to play nice with others and standardize certain things will continue to be welcomed with a big middle finger.
I hate Macs and the iSheep, but if we were looking for the most stupid statement in this whole thread, yours takes the cake.

Nothing special? It's a Fully POSIX compliant Unix, about the only one you can get in a regular computer since the demise of Open Solaris. Then there is the closed hardware base, no hardware abstraction layer shenanigans, just a simple kernel optimized to be compatible with a few hardware configurations.

If there is something truly special about Macs is not the Macbook's alloy monocoque, or the retina display, it's MAC OS X.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I hate Macs and the iSheep, but if we were looking for the most stupid statement in this whole thread, yours takes the cake.

Nothing special? It's a Fully POSIX compliant Unix, about the only one you can get in a regular computer since the demise of Open Solaris. Then there is the closed hardware base, no hardware abstraction layer shenanigans, just a simple kernel optimized to be compatible with a few hardware configurations.

If there is something truly special about Macs is not the Macbook's alloy monocoque, or the retina display, it's MAC OS X.
closed hardware base? i bought extra RAM for mine and just poped it right in. didnt buy it from apple either.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
closed hardware base? i bought extra RAM for mine and just poped it right in. didnt buy it from apple either.
Yes closed hardware base.

Since Apple only uses x mobo, x ram, x graphics chips, that is all they have to do the driver support for. Unlike win/tel that has to support hundreds of each.

Its really the only real advantage Apple has over Windows, unless you need to do real time applications. Which I never do.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Apple is great, as long as like to pay extra to use outdated processors and graphic cards.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
neither...

get a macbook pro. i've had mine for 2 years now and it's SO much better than ANY microsoft windows shit i've ever used.

there's no such thing (in my experience) as an IBM compatible computer that can boot up and have you checking your email in less than 2 min after owning it for 2 years. my old computer that this one replaced took about 12 min to boot and get me online. never again...

s3aturnr
Fuck that noise.

ASUS is a great PC company. I have a bunch of their products already (video cards, monitors, etc) and my friend has one of the gaming laptops. Very impressed. They're my #1 pick for PC companies - I'd recommend them over acer all day long.

15" Macbook Pro (non-"retina" display), 2.3GHz

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
4GB 1600MHz memory
500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Price: $1800

17.3" ASUS G75
Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz
12GB DDR3 1600 memory
500GB 7200rpm HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M with 3G of GDDR5 memory

Price: $1400

There's no fucking competition.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Apple is great, as long as like to pay extra to use outdated processors and graphic cards.
the current MBP is available with the i5 or i7 how is that outdated? My current MB is a few years old but when I bought it, it had the NVIDIA GeForce 320M, at the time there wasnt a better chipset out. As for full GPU the newest MBP has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5.

The big Mac Pro has Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors and an ATI Radeon HD 5870 with 1GB of GDDR5.

overpriced? sure you could build your own for cheaper, but outdated? not at all. People are using the Mac Pro to make movies and TV shows. It's power "enough"

You must be one of the guys that thinks something is outdated only because there is something better than it. Oh shit my 2011 Chevy is outdated.

I made this chart a while ago, 2011 most likely. Sony is just as bad as apple for being over priced.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts