1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I bought my kids an entry-level laptop for Christmas this year. I had never heard of the company Asus before, so I did a bit of digging. They've been a very well respected manufacturer of computer components (motherboards, video processors, and stuff like that) for quite awhile now. Many of the largest computer companies use their components in their computers. They've only fairly recently been making full computers though (or at least they've only recently been offering them widespread in the US). From the research I did, Asus computers are very highly rated. I'm not really computer savvy, but this is what I found.

I ended up buying my kids an Asus after doing my research.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I personally love ASUS! I'm not sure what your needs are, but They make some decent gaming Notebooks as well. Some are pricy, but most have fun goodies in them.

ASUS Custom Built Gaming Laptops & Notebooks

And you can waste a helluva lot of time here doing research. They have reviewed justr about every laptop out there or you can put specs up and then can tell you if the price is worth it or recommend a better deal
Laptop Reviews - Notebook Reviews and Computer News

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
asus link is showing dead for me. if the asus has a b***** ssd get that, you really need atleast 60gb(128 prefered) for your OS and any apps you want to install. an ssd vs no ssd will make more of a difference than a bottom of the line i3 and a top if the line i7

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
I've narrowed my search down to 2.

Asus 15.6" Laptop 6GB Memory 750GB Hard Drive Q500A-BHI5N01 - Best Buy

Acer Ultrabook 15.6" Laptop 6GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive + 20GB SSD M5-581T-6807 - Best Buy

Both are the same price.

Both have more than enough storage for my needs (basic internet and listening to music)

Both have HDMI hookups and backlit keyboards (Necessities for me)

So which should I get and why?

neither...

get a macbook pro. i've had mine for 2 years now and it's SO much better than ANY microsoft windows shit i've ever used.

there's no such thing (in my experience) as an IBM compatible computer that can boot up and have you checking your email in less than 2 min after owning it for 2 years. my old computer that this one replaced took about 12 min to boot and get me online. never again...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
neither...

get a macbook pro. i've had mine for 2 years now and it's SO much better than ANY microsoft windows shit i've ever used.

there's no such thing (in my experience) as an IBM compatible computer that can boot up and have you checking your email in less than 2 min after owning it for 2 years. my old computer that this one replaced took about 12 min to boot and get me online. never again...

s3aturnr
Did you not see the $600 price tag he's looking at? You won't get a MBP for $600.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Double his budget automatically pulls the MBP out of the running.

Personally, I can't stand laptops. You can build yourself a pretty nice desktop for $600 nowadays.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a desktop now. I just graduated college so I just want a laptop for portability. Ill give my rents the desktop.

I'm leaning towards the Asus. I haven't really heard much bad about them from my research and you guys on here.

And as far as log-in times from start up, these newer laptops are doing ~45 seconds from OFF to checking email. Not bad!

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Double his budget automatically pulls the MBP out of the running.

Personally, I can't stand laptops. You can build yourself a pretty nice desktop for $600 nowadays.
Yeah... But the desktops are too difficult to stuff into my top box each morning!

With apple your not buying quality, your buying a name only.
You're buying quality with Apple... But that's only the first half of the cost. The second half is paying for the name. :eek:nfloor

I recognize that Apple makes quality products... But fuck Apple and their goddamn inflexible operating system (and lack of right mouse button)... And fuck iTunes... And fuck the app store... :banana

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
You're buying quality with Apple... But that's only the first half of the cost. The second half is paying for the name. :eek:nfloor

I recognize that Apple makes quality products... But fuck Apple and their goddamn inflexible operating system (and lack of right mouse button)... And fuck iTunes... And fuck the app store... :banana
This.

....but you forgot the snazzy case.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I'm typing this on a Compaq Presario CQ45, I think the same computer is also sold as HP 1000 or something. It's an entry level laptop, Celeron B820 with 320GB HDD and 2GB ram, it came with Windows 7 something edition (booted it up to make the recovery disks, rebooted and installed Linux). I've added a 2nd 2GB RAM SODIMM and it does everything I need it for perfectly.

Why this laptop? I wanted a cheap laptop to replace my old Linux box which was a desktop computer, it had to be a laptop as it is powered up 24x7, laptops use quite a bit less power (which I could tell in my power bill) and don't need an UPS. I also wanted it to have Intel integrated graphics, as they are well supported in Linux, the other reason I was replacing my Linux box was the lack of support for the ATi R1250 graphics on it. Paid $6500 MXN 4 months ago, still same price right now but comes with Windows 8, I did look into Macs as the UNIX OS was appealing to me, but the cheapest Macbook back then (still now) is the MD101EA, $22500 MXN...

Technically the Macbook is superior in every single way, the hardware is arguably higher quality BUT...

In 2-3 years I can throw away this laptop, buy another one, and 2-3 years later throw away the 2nd laptop and buy a third one and still remain under the pricetag of a single Macbook...

And whatever low end laptop I get 6 years down the road, will be better than a 6 year old Macbook.

Why do I say the hardware is arguably better? It's made by Foxxconn, probably the same factory that printed my laptop's motherboard PCB, a lot of the components are the same, that's what matters to me. I really don't care about my laptops cheap casing or how it will look like in a couple years, whenever this Sandybridge laptop is obsolete the Sandybridge Macbook will face the same fate too, I really don't care to pay 3.5 times as much to end up with a nice looking obsolete sandybridge laptop.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I was also going to recommend a MBP but didn't want to get flamed. I've been using OS X for 6 years now and I don't think I could go back to owning a windows OS (vista and 7 are used at work)

For none Apple I've always liked Toshiba and Lenovo. I know Asus and Acer are popular because they are usually the least expensive but electronics is never something I'd try to go with, "Cheap as possible"

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
How long has asus been in the market? I just built a pc online and picked a asus motherboard and monitor. They seemed to have their hand in a lot of shit relating to PCs.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts