Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which octane of gas do u put into ur bike?

87? 89? 91? 93?

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Run the minimum octane recommended. Octane is just gasoline's knock resistance...which is basically resistance to detonation. Meaning, the fuel burns more SLOWLY. So if you're required a MINIMUM of 87 octane, and you're running 93...you're actually LOSING power as compared to if you were running 87. Use the minimum recommended octane, it will work better. Only time you need to bump to higher octane is with more timing advance, more compression, or a leaner fuel mixture. But I do have to agree....race fuel smells awesome. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
The higher octane, pump gas, such as 93 does not always help the bike. For instance, it may make the bike run to rich.

Should use the lowest octane that does not producing pinging. In some cases 89 will also produce more power than 91 or 93. Also if your bike is not mapped to run with 100+ octane it may harm the bike more than anything.

Some of the race fuels aren't even 93 octane, then again u can't really compare them.

I run 89 myself and get the same mileage and the bike runs better with it, than 93.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Use what the owner's manual says to use. In my case it's 87 octane. Bike runs great.

DreddR6 said:
The higher octane, pump gas, such as 93 does not always help the bike. For instance, it may make the bike run to rich.
Fuel octane has nothing to do with your air:fuel ratio.

·
Registered
725 Posts
correct

HalfLiterBeater said:
Run the minimum octane recommended. Octane is just gasoline's knock resistance...which is basically resistance to detonation. Meaning, the fuel burns more SLOWLY. So if you're required a MINIMUM of 87 octane, and you're running 93...you're actually LOSING power as compared to if you were running 87. Use the minimum recommended octane, it will work better. Only time you need to bump to higher octane is with more timing advance, more compression, or a leaner fuel mixture. But I do have to agree....race fuel smells awesome. :D
My aprilia says nothing less than 90 so I have been going out of my way to find 92, after running 90 a few times I believe I feel a bit more gusto, the higher the octane rating the less volitile the fuel contrary to popular belief, High compression engines need slower burning fuel so no to blow half way up the compression stroke(very simplified partially true explanation.)

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
as i remember my manual says to run 95 in the priller. the highest i have around here is 93, so its alwyas premium for me.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
We don't have the octane option here in Italy, not even on base. It's all 94 octane, you pull up to gas station and you've got gas and diesel, that's it, no other options.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts