Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the 600 bikes, like the GSXR, YZFR and CBR, which one is generally cheapest to maintain and easiest? I'm about to get a new bike and I tend to rid about 10000 miles a year, I want something that'll last me for a while without having to put tons of money into it.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
what no ZX6R?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
If you take care of your bike, change oil, wash it, every day do dahh's, any of them will last. One bike isn't better then the next.

·
What are you looking at?
64 Posts
Well, I would imagine that all of the current crop of 600 SS bikes would be about the same in the cost of maintenance. Possibly with the Yamaha being slighly more due to having more expensive valve adjustments. However, if you plan on doing your own maintenance, I believe that OEM parts from Kawasaki and Suzuki are less expensive. I believe that the Suzuki would be the easiest to work on. I will tell you that naked bikes are much easier to work on than anything with a full fairing, and you may want to think about that when making a decision.

Also, I know that other people will ask this, so I'll get it out of the way. Is this your first bike?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it's not my first bike, although if I would have had enough money when I got my first one, I would be buying one.

Yeah, I guess the ZX6 could be included in the equation, but I'm not really looking at getting one of those too badly, although they're cool too. Just don't see as many cheap ones for sell as the others.

So cheapest parts and easiest to work on, GSXR?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Desp said:
So cheapest parts and easiest to work on, GSXR?
i wouldnt say cheapest parts...but a plethora of parts, yes. the gsxr is 1 of those newb "gotta have" bikes and more than likely will be wrecked or whatever, so there's always gonna be cheap parts on ebay.

id think all the 600ss bikes will be somewhat equal in their repair parts as well as maintainence costs (tho its cheaper if u do the work yourself)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I would say that the Kawasakis typically are the easiest to find cheap parts for, although probably not the case with the new 10R. Cheapest to maintain though? Probably a Honda. Easiest to work on? They're all pretty much a pain in my book, but Gixxers seem a little more simplified in a good way.

·
Registered
842 Posts
you can find more used parts from crashed gsxr's than anything i would think... they are the ever popular with squids even though they are stellar bikes! Im just guessing though...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Yamahas can go much farther before their valve adjustment intervals. You only have to check them at 26,600 miles and my experience has been they rarely need it done at all. I have 3 yamaha 600 sportbikes with about 40,000 miles each and have never been in the shop.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Whichever one had the least frquent valve adjustments. Suzukis and Hondas run forever... (at least the one Ive owned have).

·
Registered
144 Posts
little off topic, but...
I like buell because i think they need the least mainainace.
1. self adjusting valves
2. non-stretching belt that doesn't need lubing
3. no cooling fluid.
4.Only 2 brake pads to worry about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts