Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I'm on a tight budget so I thought to save money, I'd ride to work in jeans but get knee/shin protectors.

Or would it be better to just get riding pants that have those built in?

Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
i was debating the same thing. If you get the pants then you can zip them to your jacket (a little bit more protection than jeans as far as ripping). Also some pants go over jeans/whatever other pants you have on.

Field aromor is more concealed (looks like you are wearing jeans but you have the pads underneath).

I think if you get pants u should def just get leather ones. If you plan on doing any track time in the future def get the pants.

·
Registered
323 Posts
under unless you want that motocross look but seriously get a good two piece suit there a bit of money but worth saving up for you can have a jacket and pants that connect together and the piece of mind that some dead cows skin will be on the road and not yours.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I think I'll get the pants... I already have a leather jacket minus armor.

Icon has an armor suit (back protector, shoulder pads and chest plate) for about $100

That can go under my jacket right? or is a real suit better?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Forget that Icon garbage, go for some CE rated armor if you want to go that route. This is relatively cheap, properly certified and you get elbow protectors too--

http://www.highvelocitygear.com/armor.html

A *snug* fitting full leather suit with good armor is the best bet, but many won't go for that for whatever reason. For commuting or something you might look into armored textile overpants with full length zippers down both legs, they are easy to take on and off so it's more convenient than leathers. But if you're riding for fun/sport there's really no need for convenience, and leather is more protective (more abrasion resistant and generally closer fitting).

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I have a personal dislike for Icon because they market poseur garbage that is meant to fit incorrectly. For some weird body shapes I guess the relaxed fit works out. But snug = protection, too bad it doesn't look cool enough for the bike night crowd.

That particular piece is no good because it is not CE certified. You wouldn't buy a helmet without some sort of safety guarantee would you? Snell, DOT, ECE, BSI--something.

On the other hand, if it makes the Tshirt crowd put on leather, even if it doesn't fit...whatever, it's not all bad.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I heard of someone crashing with the Icon under armor and it held up after his pants ripped. He was doing twisties around 80MPH and low sided.

Like i said if you have the extra cash get a nice pair of leather pants, but if you just want some quick protection for short rides the armor under jeans is better than nothing.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
MnM said:
I heard of someone crashing with the Icon under armor and it held up after his pants ripped. He was doing twisties around 80MPH and low sided.

Like i said if you have the extra cash get a nice pair of leather pants, but if you just want some quick protection for short rides the armor under jeans is better than nothing.
It's easy to come up with one example good or bad for any type of gear.

Another advantage to some sort of riding pants over jeans/armor is abrasion resistance all over (like your butt/hips :) ). The armor helps absorb impacts, but the most common problem is road rash. Better some cow (real or synthetic) giving up their skin to save yours.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes that's what I'm worried about the road rash... I need boots and something better than jeans.

thanks again everyone

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It was in response to this:

MT Wallet said:
Okay I think I'll get the pants... I already have a leather jacket minus armor.

Icon has an armor suit (back protector, shoulder pads and chest plate) for about $100

That can go under my jacket right? or is a real suit better?
He had already decided to get pants, he was looking for upper body protection.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nig said:
It was in response to this:

He had already decided to get pants, he was looking for upper body protection.
yes that's right thanks nig

is that meant to be worn under a jacket or can it be worn just like that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts