Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. My wife and I are going to take the MSF next month and are looking for helmets. She really likes the HJC AC-11 creature. I on the other hand am on a toss up between the AC-11 Creature, KBC racer1 laguna, shark, or an AGV V-flyer. All can be had for less than 250$ Right now I am leaning more towards the KBC especially with all the certifications. Only problem is that I have no idea where I can try one on. Actually the only on that I have tried on is the Creature which fit nice but am looking for other options. If anyone out there has any of these please let me know how they are with comfort, noise, air flow, and weight. Also if anyone has any other recommendations please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Can't comment on the models you're considering, but you must try on a helmet before buying it. Different makes/models have different shell/pad shapes and fit different head shapes better. You need to find out what kind of heads you and your wife have by trying on different models/sizes.

When you try them on, you should leave the one that initially feels good on for at least 15 or 20 minutes to make sure you don't develop any "hot spots". Fasten the chin strap and you should only get minimal helmet movement on your head while moving the chin bar up/down and left/right. Others can comment on noise, weight, ventillation, etc. for the various models. In general, more $$ (once you have DOT and SNELL approval) gets you ligther weight, quieter, more ventillation, better fitting visors, and removable padding for cleaning.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
^^^

Yup, different helmets fit differently.

An example of this is that I have a Vega XKS Monterrey helmet in size XL, and it fits me a bit loose all over. Not too loose to be unsafe, but loose enough that it doesn't pinch anywhere.

I also have a KBC TK-7 in size XL. This one pinches my forehead and the back of my head very badly. I'm sure it will break in and be fine, but right now it's not the most comfortable.

I used to have a KBC VR-1, and it didn't pinch at all. It was also a size XL.

You should really go try anything on before you buy it, sizes, even though listed the same, can be greatly different.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Gimpdiggity said:
^^^

Yup, different helmets fit differently.

An example of this is that I have a Vega XKS Monterrey helmet in size XL, and it fits me a bit loose all over. Not too loose to be unsafe, but loose enough that it doesn't pinch anywhere.

I also have a KBC TK-7 in size XL. This one pinches my forehead and the back of my head very badly. I'm sure it will break in and be fine, but right now it's not the most comfortable.

I used to have a KBC VR-1, and it didn't pinch at all. It was also a size XL.

You should really go try anything on before you buy it, sizes, even though listed the same, can be greatly different.

He's got it right Go try it on then call me up for a killer price.
Slava

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've got a Racer-1 and I like it. It vents fairly well and is comfortable for me. Get whatever helmet fits you best though. It may be a little heavier when compared to helmets like the Shark RSR, Arai Corsair, etc.

·
Registered
452 Posts
aboivin said:
Good morning all. My wife and I are going to take the MSF next month and are looking for helmets. She really likes the HJC AC-11 creature. I on the other hand am on a toss up between the AC-11 Creature, KBC racer1 laguna, shark, or an AGV V-flyer. All can be had for less than 250$ Right now I am leaning more towards the KBC especially with all the certifications. Only problem is that I have no idea where I can try one on. Actually the only on that I have tried on is the Creature which fit nice but am looking for other options. If anyone out there has any of these please let me know how they are with comfort, noise, air flow, and weight. Also if anyone has any other recommendations please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
All of those helmets will be noisier than any Shoei or Arai. As far as fit, like everyone else is saying, everyone's melon is shaped differently, so what's good for me, might not be good for you. I'd recommend going to a local motorcycle shop to try them on, then buy it cheaper online.

I have the KBC VR-1 Euro. It fits pretty well, but can be pretty noisy on the highway, so I usually will use earplugs for long rides. Protection wise, I don't think there's a difference between any of those helmets as they are all Snell certified.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts