Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to which GPS unit people use.

I am thinking about getting one for myself this winter...I would like one that I can use in a car, on the bike, on a boat, or even just out wandering around.

My wife's parents live in Tennessee, and there's tons of stuff to do down around there, but it's hard to find. I figure if we had a GPS unit, we'd have a much easier time of finding our way back.

Thanks.

·
who......me????
293 Posts
I have a Garmin GPS 2+, I've had it for 6 yrs though...i would like to get the Garmin Legend...a lot like the one above

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I don't use mine too much anymore. I used to use it to determine how far I'd actually traveled, what my actual speed was, etc. Since installing a SpeedoHealer, don't rely on the GPS much. Every once in a while I'll strap on my JoeRocket tankbag, throw my Compaq TabletPC in the top map holding area, power up the Microsoft MapPoint 2004, connect the GPS for real-time location mapping, and use it to help me find my away around areas I'm not familiar with or to find "cool" roads. I've wired a connection harness onto my F4i so I can power the TabletPC and GPS off the bike battery. It's a little difficult to look down far enough to see the TabletPC display while you're actually riding, and it's definitely subjective to sun glare since the screen is pointing up, but you can't bet it when you're lost.

http://www.packetmonkey.net/gallery/tabletpc

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got a Garmin eTrex Legend. It's a pretty handy little toy to have. I mostly use it to track distances and top speeds and all that. I haven't had too much need for it as a navigation tool yet, but I haven't been on any real long trips yet either. One nice feature about it is the ability to save detailed street maps to the unit. You can save 8mb of maps, in addition to the base freeway maps. Should be handy for my 470 mile road trip to Vegas in September.

The only negatives I have seen of the Legend so far are the small memory, and slightly slow map scrolling. The 8mb of memory was not enough to hold detail maps of my entire 470 mile planned route.

The small size is great and it is very easy to use. make sure you get the mapping software or some kind of mapping program if you want the detailed city street maps. Also, make sure the GPS unit you get has the proper base maps for the region you will most likely be using it in. I found out that the units sold in different regions have different base maps preprogramed into them. (eg. western US, eastern US, etc.)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a Garmin also. It's an eTrex Vista. Think I've had it for about two years now. You can buy a handlebar mount for it and take it everywhere you go on the cycle or pedal bike. I was suprised to find out that my speedo on my Vulcan Classic was 5mph slow. Now I need to take it with my on the Fizzer and see how accurate it is.

Take care,

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've also got a Garmin Legend. I love it. Throw it in the tank bag and off you go. If you get the legend instead of the cheaper one you get the PC cable too. You can use that and some mapping software to plot out your whole trip. No more fumbling for the map anymore. It will tell you exactly when to turn... (can you tell I get lost alot?)

·
Registered
16 Posts
i recently got a magellan merdian gold. it's great. it does street routing on the unit, no need for a pc (except to upload detailed maps).

·
Registered
38 Posts
heh2k said:
i recently got a magellan merdian gold. it's great. it does street routing on the unit, no need for a pc (except to upload detailed maps).

+1

One of the best investments I have made. I love to travel and this just made it a lot more fun and easy. The turn by turn routing is priceless on a motorcycle. And the accurate speed pays for itself. no more guessing at what speed i am going after my -1T +2T sprocket changes.

The meridian is also waterproof even if you drop it in water up to so many inches deep.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Garmin GPS V, really like it though they have recently released some new models worth consideration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts