Sport Bikes banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not trying to sound douchey but....
This is a boxer:

And this is a boxer:

The engines that Subarus and Porsche 911s use are either 'flat' or horizontally-opposed engines. Sorry, I just hate that term for those engines (much like I hate it when an internal combustion power-plant is called a motor). Yes I know the term 'motorsports' is often used but that doesn't help either.

/rant

My favorite engine type is an inline 6. They are inherently balanced, and run smoother than 4 cylinders.
Unfortunately those are not very space-efficient for bikes....though Honda managed it really well with the CBX 1000
If they could make one reliable and not prone to overheating, I would love to see a VR-6 type of engine shoehorned into a bike; wouldn't be quite as wide as an I-4 and wouldn't take up anymore longitudinal space than a V-twin or 4.

2JZ-GTE would be my favorite
Duck, why would you choose it over Nissan's RB26DETT?
That engine makes pretty much the same power as a 2jz, but with .4 liters less displacement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow you're insufferable.
Nice, totally asinine contribution to the discussion, MeinDummKopf.

You know what I hate? When people call motorcycles "bikes"
Even worse when someone calls a three-wheeler or quad, a 'bikes'.

Wow, didn't take long at all for someone all butthurt to respond to my post above...exactly like you did.

Stay butthurt!

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Nice, totally asinine contribution to the discussion, MeinDummKopf.

Even worse when someone calls a three-wheeler or quad, a 'bikes'.
by definition Engine and Motor should be interchangeable, though in practice engine usually refers to IC engines while motor is used for both, unless of course you add the word ‘electric’ before motor.

calling a three-wheeler or quad, a 'bike' is just incorrect.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Radial-eight.

Because awesome.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Technically motorcycles are bikes.

Bi "two" and kyklos "wheel" = bicycle
Motor + bicycle = the portmanteau "motorcycle"

Reactions: jeffo8

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
The engines that Subarus and Porsche 911s use are either 'flat' or horizontally-opposed engines. Sorry, I just hate that term for those engines (much like I hate it when an internal combustion power-plant is called a motor). Yes I know the term 'motorsports' is often used but that doesn't help either.
The "boxer" term referring to motors/engines comes from boxers (fighters), actually.

An internal combustion power plant is a motor, since "motor" comes from the Latin "motor" meaning "mover". The definition "agent or force that produces mechanical motion" comes from the 17th century, and the definition "machine that supplies motive power" comes from the 19th century. So sorry, but I'm pretty sure the "internal combustion power plant" in your bike is, in fact, a machine that supplies motive power.

Reactions: ZorroX and jeffo8

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
... My favorite engine type is an inline 6. They are inherently balanced, and run smoother than 4 cylinders.
Unfortunately those are not very space-efficient for bikes....though Honda managed it really well with the CBX 1000
If they could make one reliable and not prone to overheating, I would love to see a VR-6 type of engine shoehorned into a bike; wouldn't be quite as wide as an I-4 and wouldn't take up anymore longitudinal space than a V-twin or 4. ...
A V6 "wouldn't be quite as wide as an I-4 and wouldn't take up anymore longitudinal space than a V-twin or 4". A VR6 is still a long engine, and would be wider on a bike than an I-4, but not as wide as an I-6.

One German company was working on such a bike, resurrecting the Horex name in the process, but I haven't heard much about that effort lately.

PhilB

Attachments

·
Registered
9,277 Posts

/rant
they`re called boxers because the pistons fly straight out and back in, much like the jab of a boxer.

would you be pissed if I called a diesel an "oil burner"?
Or if I said a supercharged engine had a "blower"?

come on.

·
freetors
640 Posts
Not trying to sound douchey but....

My favorite engine type is an inline 6. They are inherently balanced, and run smoother than 4 cylinders.
If they could make one reliable and not prone to overheating, I would love to see a VR-6 type of engine shoehorned into a bike; wouldn't be quite as wide as an I-4 and wouldn't take up anymore longitudinal space than a V-twin or 4.

Duck, why would you choose it over Nissan's RB26DETT?
That engine makes pretty much the same power as a 2jz, but with .4 liters less displacement.
Ever heard of the Horex?

Doh, didn't see phil's post

·
Registered
45 Posts
they`re called boxers because the pistons fly straight out and back in, much like the jab of a boxer.
They're called boxers because they are shaped like a box.
:bangdesk
Guess what? ALL reciprocating engines have pistons that fly out/up and back in/down.
V and inline engines are 'boxers' by your definition too, except they are doing 'uppercuts' instead of crosses.

would you be pissed if I called a diesel an "oil burner"?
Or if I said a supercharged engine had a "blower"?

come on.
I wouldn't be pissed. I would just think you were ignoran...oh wait. Too late for that.

Subaru uses the term 'boxer' as a marketing term to lure in people who don't know any better. Kinda like some of you.
"Ooooh, boxer. That sounds really cool. Let me go buy one"

His mom's a blower.
Wow! Mom jokes, and not even creative ones at that. Have you been taking Snappy Comeback lessons from Derek Zoolander?

Look, I didn't post what I posted to start an argument, though I knew the butthurt fellas would have to chime in (how predictable). But if you all are that inclined to have a battle of wits, please go arm yourselves first.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Here are three sources for
History of the Horizontally Opposed Engine-AKA the Boxer engine
What Is a Boxster-Style Engine? | eHow.com
Flat engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if you want to claim something else, provide a source.

Subaru uses the name boxer for their engine because it it a common name for their engine configuration.

there is a long and varied history of people who know things, work with them, study them, and understand them... in short people who are not ignorant about things... to give them slang or alternative names.

for example calling diesels oil burners, or superchargers blowers.

this slang is often developed to deliberately confuse and anger ignorant, pretentious, snobs, who desire to enforce their views upon all they meet.

Chapter 1. Hacker Slang and Hacker Culture
Chapter 2. Of Slang, Jargon, and Techspeak

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
They're called boxers because they are shaped like a box.
:bangdesk
Guess what? ALL reciprocating engines have pistons that fly out/up and back in/down.
V and inline engines are 'boxers' by your definition too, except they are doing 'uppercuts' instead of crosses.
an inline 6 is shaped like a box too.
I think my analogy is better. mmkay?

I wouldn't be pissed. I would just think you were ignoran...oh wait. Too late for that.

Subaru uses the term 'boxer' as a marketing term to lure in people who don't know any better. Kinda like some of you.
"Ooooh, boxer. That sounds really cool. Let me go buy one"
ELL OH ELL.
you make me smile, sir. I wouldn't buy a subaru unless it was given to me. and then, well, I still wouldn't be buying it.

Also, every company pulls the marketing card. what do you think "powerstroke", "duramax", "ecoboost", "ecotec", "vortec", and the numerous other superfluous names for so called "exclusive technology" are?
they're fuckin marketing gimmicks.
congratulations, we all knew that.

Wow! Mom jokes, and not even creative ones at that. Have you been taking Snappy Comeback lessons from Derek Zoolander?

Look, I didn't post what I posted to start an argument, though I knew the butthurt fellas would have to chime in (how predictable). But if you all are that inclined to have a battle of wits, please go arm yourselves first.
if you want to have a "battle of wits", stop reading your one liners off the internet.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts