·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
BMW's S85 V10 used in the last generation M5 and M6 could also spin to 8400 rpm, then there are plenty of exotcs...

I am messing with you, but there aren't a lot. The most "accessible" don't

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I think I have liked the Boxer in my 91 subaru. Even with 180k on her, she ran silky smooth and have more than enough power right where I wanted it........just got shitty mpg :(

·
freetors
640 Posts
My '02 Forester sees 30MPG highway
Thread jack:

How?! We have an 02 as well and it only gets about 25-26 on the highway cruising at 70-75. We drive it pretty sedately and from what I've read we get relatively good mileage compared to other owners. I'm sure it could get 30 if we just cruised around at 55 all the time but we'd die of boredom before we got anywhere.

/thread jack

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I6 diesel, although here I am looking at a 7.3 ford. . .
Honestly, they are all awesome, and they all have goods and bads.

in a bike I like a twin, parallel or V or L, I don't overly mind. I'd try a boxer bike in a heartbeat.
I have a massive stiffy for porsche and anything to do with the older ones, so boxers are pretty wicked too in my opinion.
in a truck I like a diesel anything. the V8 diesels are just as good as the I6 diesels, it's a preference thing now.

I can enjoy just about any engine in the right application.

Reactions: Dem0nDuck

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Thread jack:

How?! We have an 02 as well and it only gets about 25-26 on the highway cruising at 70-75. We drive it pretty sedately and from what I've read we get relatively good mileage compared to other owners. I'm sure it could get 30 if we just cruised around at 55 all the time but we'd die of boredom before we got anywhere.

/thread jack
Magic, apparently. That's doing ~70-75, too.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Thread jack:

/thread jack
Maybe she just weighs less? Carries less cargo or extra people? Lives at a different altitude? Keeps a good air filter on the car? Lots of things con contribute to MPG. Your not talking about a whole lot 4-5 mpg. Maybe different octane fuel? Lots of possibilities.... even the air pressure of your tires or brand of tire.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Maybe she just weighs less? Carries less cargo or extra people? Lives at a different altitude? Keeps a good air filter on the car? Lots of things con contribute to MPG. Your not talking about a whole lot 4-5 mpg. Maybe different octane fuel? Lots of possibilities.... even the air pressure of your tires or brand of tire.
yep, all that. what type of fuel too like E10 or E20... you'll lose a good portion just on that. i hate running that crap. gimme regular ole unleaded 87 (or whatever is cheap) and call it good.

·
freetors
640 Posts
Magic, apparently. That's doing ~70-75, too.
Ok, well we live at about 700 ft ASL. We keep the tires between 37-40 psi. It always gets ethanol free 87 gas. It's lifted 1". Otherwise it's in excellent mechanical shape.

Is yours by chance have the 5MT? Ours has the 4 speed auto. That right there could account for a significant mileage difference.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
I keep the tires on mine at about 34-36PSI, I use whatever 87 is handy, mostly at Sam's Club, and their gas is "up to 10% Ethanol", and it has a manual transmission because I'm not a babby. Also it's completely stock, with 142k miles on it, probably in need of a new clutch soon.

·
Eskimo Bro
2,053 Posts
+1 Radial engines are badass. My buddy's plane is ugly but sounds like a dragster just sitting there idling.

In a car though... I like anything that sounds like sex and revs high!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts