Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's talk abou engine configuration...what's your favorite and why?
I like boxers...just can't beat banging sideways. Seriously though, i just like how compact they are, and the sound is pretty enjoyable. V would be my second choice... never really enjoyed inline engines.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Haha. Never heard a boxer engine described as compact on a motorcycle before. I bet they'd be great to work on though.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Boxer engines are not compact in any way on a motorcycle. For a daily street bike I have grown to like the V-twin, power from idle to the high mid-range, were a street engine spends most of it's time.

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I didn't say motorcycle engines...i said "Let's talk abou engine configuration". Yes, i would say that for a motorcycle it's wide design might not be the best but for cars i really like them...an inline vs a boxer

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inline 6's are supposed to be the ideal engine in terms of vibrations....

·
Fast bikes fan
2,120 Posts
Boxer engines sound like farts. No wonder why dorktato likes them.

I prefer the sound of an italian v12, or a forced induction v8. Minimum of 4 liters please, preferably more then 5. Aston v12's also sound amazing. The new 6.0L is awesome

In a bike, I've ridden i4's, v2, v4's, singles, and parallel 2's. I like the i4 top end rush and the v2 torque. Wonder if the triple cylinder triumph can successfully blend the best of both? I'll put it on my list of things to check out.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Cars? any of the European V's - v8, v10, v12.... even though i'm a dodge man at heart, that V10 in the viper sounds like ass. gimme a Euro V(x) and it's instant wood.... especially Astons and F430s. my Favs.

Bikes? V4

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
In a bike, my favorite is a well-balanced 90º V-twin or V-4.
Or a straight six when available. I'd buy a K1600R just for that.

In a car or light truck, a straight six is the best and smoothest.
In a high performance car, a V-12 is ideal -- same advantages as a straight six, but twice as good.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bike- single. Lots and lots of tourqe.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.
there is no relation btw a bike having a lot of torque and it having a single cylinder...

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i like boxers.
balanced
short crankshaft
work well with all-wheel drive
low center of gravity.
and the one in my subaru, even a scrawny kid can pick up.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts