Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and to bikes. I will be taking my MSF course this June and will be looking to pick up my first sport bike thereafter. I was wondering, which bike would be best to start on? I want to start on a 600 and I have been leaning toward an f4i. Today I met some guy and he told me that I should get an R6 because its more bike that I will ever need/want. I dunno though. I am still thinking of getting an f4i. I have read elsewhere that an F4i is a great starter bike. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
i love my 02 F4i..just make sure u dont get an F4i that has a banana seat they look kinda "off", i always wanted an R6 but everyone and there mom has one and plus F4i's are a little more fun to "stunt" on if u end up going that way..i guess it all depends on what your skills are and what you would mainly be doing on the bike..

·
Registered
529 Posts
F4i is a little more toned down than the r6, makeing it a little more rider friendly. The general layout and feel of the bike is also a little less agressive, which in turn makes it a more comfortable bike. If you are COMPLETELY new to rideing, I would suggest something along the lines of a nekked bike. sv650, etc. (Or, thoes good ol es500's everyone seems to recomend, although they are friggen bullet proof). But if you have at least some motorcycle experiance, you should be ok on the F4i. Just kinda a bummer to see people screw up their bikes right away or often, because of the little things they are going to have to learn the hard way :)

I would also recomend going with a used bike. If you can find a decient one, it can save you some serious cash. Which is alway's nice. And you don't have to deal with the bullshit dealships around here.

Good luck, and hopefully see ya out on the road soon. (In all that nice new shiney protective gear you are going to buy right?)

- Ice_Hole

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a friend (yes it's true) with a Zook GS500E for sale. That and the Ninja 5oo are always my pick for starter bikes. They won't hamper your learning curve by having too much power for a noob to handle.

Or, maybe a brandy new Hayabusa. :neener

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
The f4i might be a bit much for a starter bike, if you do go that way be very careful. Short shift it until you have some throttle control. Buy gear too.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you look around this site you'll find many opinions ranging from "you're an idiot and you're going to die if you buy anything b***** than a 50cc." to "buy a 1000cc so you don't have to upgrade." Opinions are like assholes.

If you're smart an F2, F3, or F4i will do you good. If you're dumb stay off any motorcycle and don't leave your house without a helmet.
An F4i has more than enough power for anyone. Honda ergonomics are usually more comfortable and cleaner than other brands. Don't worry about the R6. It is a great bike too but if you have your heart set on the Honda, get it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My 636 hasn't done me wrong. It was my first bike and it has enough power to where I won't kill myself. Like evildead said, opinions are much like assholes: everyone has one and some are full of shit. If you're really leaning towards an F4i, then I say go for it!! The R6 was my first choice, but couldn't find one in my price range. Good luck, hope to see you out there soon. By the way, where did you find your avatar? I love Family Guy!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your input. I am definately going to be investing into new gear before i start riding. I know that the gear may be the only thing saving my life if i get into trouble while riding my bike. I will probably go with the f4i since it is what i have been wanting to get. I'm not planning on stunting or anything like that since i am new to sportbikes. I take my msf course next weekend so I will be shopping for a bike after that. Hope to see some of you riding soon.

BTW: Family guy is awesome. I got that avatar from some family guy dedicated website. If I find it i'll be sure to post it up.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Not saying you're gonna die if you climb on one as a first bike. My first street bike was an '03 600rr and I lived. It was just a lot of bike for a n00b. I rode dirt as a kid and am not a panicker. I took it slow and progressed comfortably. Looking back I wish I would have gotten a cheaper used bike. No fear of drops and that big financial hit, safer to learn on, etc.... I didn't have a negative experience, I just realized that there was a better way and am trying to impart some wisdom. :D

Get what you want, just be safe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
BUY WHAT YOU WANT RIDE WHAT YOU WANT LISTENT TO THE ADVICE YOU WANT.... I JUST WANT TO WELCOME YOU TO A THE WORLD OF 2WHEELS.

:welcome

:biggrinag

:comp

:02mgp

·
Registered
265 Posts
LDREBEL said:
BUY WHAT YOU WANT RIDE WHAT YOU WANT LISTENT TO THE ADVICE YOU WANT.... I JUST WANT TO WELCOME YOU TO A THE WORLD OF 2WHEELS.

:welcome

:biggrinag

:comp

:02mgp

Yeah, what he said. Exactly right. Just take it easy for a while until you get a feel of the bike. If you have any questions, post them up and see what you get. Everyone here is just looking out for everyone's safety and best interest.........well, most, anyway. Welcome and hope to see ya soon. Post up when you get your bike!!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
starter F4i after 3 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
supermandy said:
starter F4i after 3 months.
Like I said...

evildead said:
If you're smart an F2, F3, or F4i will do you good. If you're dumb stay off any motorcycle and don't leave your house without a helmet.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Why does that F4i look really familiar to me? There's only that one pic but I'm pretty sure I know who's bike that is. I've only seen red frame sliders in one place before....

EDIT: And if that is a two brothers racing slip-on, i definitely know.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
freakinhungover said:
thats not just the bike though right? you did say there was some "stunting" involved right? lets not scare anyone away with just a pic and no details yet heheheh
you're right... squidboy did a wheelie into the back of a parked car. But I think part of it was a function of starting on a 600. He was trying to run before he could walk. The F4i allowed him to do that, and he ran himself into the ground. It is not the bike's fault, but I believe that it was a hefty contribution to the incident.

It's a matter of self-control. Some people have it and can manage, others (obviously) do not. I thought he could handle it. He's otherwise quite mature for his 23 years of age, but the li'l Honda got the better of him. Good news is that he'll live (at least for another week until the concussion is healed and I get to throttle him) and has learned a few things, and someone gets to start workin on a trackbike as soon as the insurance gives the go ahead.

Yeah, Dan. You know who's bike it is.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
evildead said:
Like I said...
ordinarily i'd get very defensive about that statement. But in this case, you're calling it like it is. a kid with the wrong attitude on 2 wheels, the situation was dumb. (he's a smart kid though, really)

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I think that if you really have your heart set on doing something, you're going to try it. If that act is well within your bikes capacity, you're much more likely to try it. Self-control wears away. My first 6 months on the street I NEVER lane split. Now it's a rare occurence that I skip an opportunity to do it.

If you're scared shitless of a bike enough, you can start on a hayabusa. But after 2 weeks and you're comfortable with the little throttle you're giving it, are you going to have that same self-control or are you going to start pushing the bike? I'd bet most people would start pushing it more as they got comfortable, and that's where they'd make a mistake, when something went wrong and they didn't know how to react.

Just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should. You can start on a 600, but you're going to need to maintain a level head for a while. If you can do that, go for it. If you're the type that has to push themself, get a ninja 500 or a ninja 250. Of course, you'll still have to push yourself to improve, but those bikes are much more forgiving.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts