Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm going to Las Vegas in 3 weeks for work. I have one day off, so a buddy and I are going to rent some bikes. We are going to head from LV up to the Valley of Fire State Park and then take the twisty backroads down to the Hoover Dam, and then back to Vegas.

So the question is what bike to ride? My buddy is getting a Harley. He's a Harley guy. I'm not a Harley guy. I like to turn :) My current and only ride is a Suzuki sv650. While out there I might ride his rented Harly a little bit just because I've never ridden one, but I'm looking at different rental options.

I was *really* hoping to rent a Diavel, but they are too pricey to rent ($212/day) and not available on the day that I will be there. I was thinking a Triumph Street Triple would be fun, but no one seems to rent those. So, I am entertaining the following options. I have never ridden any of them, so I would like some opinions (and hopefully why I would like one vs the others):

Triumph Bonneville T-100 (I'm wond4ering how comfy it would be after riding for hours and hours? Might be the most fun in the twisties?)
Triumph Tiger 800 (the 1200 are just humongous - I don't feel comfortable riding those - way too large for me)
Honda NC700X - nible. Maybe fun. Worried about it being boring?
Triumph Trophy SE (though at 1200 it may be too big for me - I'd rather have a more agile bike I think?)
BMW F700 (though the Triumph Tiger 800 is a cheaper rental at a different place)
Honda VFR 800 (on the high end of what I want to pay)

Any other options that I should be looking at? Anywhere to rent a Street Triple? Currently I'm heavily leaning towards the Triumph Bonneville or the Hona NC700X, but I'm open.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
dont let the 'vegas' part influence you. the city is a grid and boring for riding. i would just think of what bike you think you'd enjoy the most. personally, i'd recommend the bonnie of that list. the street triple would be too much fun. :star

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Lived in Lost Wages for about a year and a half (well, Red Rock...). Breezy is correct about the city proper being boring. I could see it being dangerous as a tourist. Lots of folks driving around looking everywhere EXCEPT where they are going. If you do that too, I foresee problems. If you want some spirited riding, head north past the Air Farce (Nellis?) base. Or there is blacktop going to Reno that had no posted speed limit (20 years ago or so) and light traffic (Mostly Jackrabbits) The road to the dam (Going through Flashlight, IIRC) can be fun, although crowded.
As far as bikes, which ever one fits the best. If you just want to be uncomfortable while having fun, try a Sybian.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Having lived in Vegas, I concur. Stay out of the city with a bike, there is zero fun to be had and a lot of danger if you're not used to driving in it. Red Rock is flippin' gorgeous, but it gets crazy on the weekends. Hopefully you don't mind riding fast...

Also, if you see water? AVOID IT. IT IS SLICKER THAN WET ICY SHIT. The only time I've went down on a bike is going through a Vegas puddle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not planning to ride in Vegas other than to get out of town. Sitting at stoplights isn't my idea of fun anyway. As I stated in my OP: "We are going to head from LV up to the Valley of Fire State Park and then take the twisty backroads down to the Hoover Dam, and then back to Vegas."

So, with that in mind, any bike recommendations?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The Tiger 800 is super all day comfortable and fun to ride. It is probably the most like a Street Triple in the engine department. The BMW is very similar, but is better for off road where the Tiger is better on road, which is where you'll be.

Personally, I'd go for the Bonnie. I think it would be most fun on twisty roads for you, and adjusting to riding twisty roads in an adventure bike takes some real getting used to due to the high center of gravity and skinny tires combo.

You'll feel the most at home on a Bonneville and you and your friend on the HD will be pretty evenly matched.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: brain21

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The BMW or the Viffer. Am I allowed to say 'Viffer' any more? I figure since 'Gixxer' causes such angst.....
There used to be several places in town where you could buy 103 Octane pure gas. I was driving an '86 Grand National when I lived there. One of the cars I wish I still had.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so now looking between the Bonnie and the Viffer. :) A couple of miles from me is a Triumph/Honda/Suzuki dealership. I think during the week I'm gonna run up there and sit on a few. IDK if they have a VFR. I don't ever remember seeing one, but I know they have Bonnies, Tigers, and the NC700X

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
OK, so now looking between the Bonnie and the Viffer. :) A couple of miles from me is a Triumph/Honda/Suzuki dealership. I think during the week I'm gonna run up there and sit on a few. IDK if they have a VFR. I don't ever remember seeing one, but I know they have Bonnies, Tigers, and the NC700X
VFR800 hasn't been made in a few years so you probably won't be able to find one to sit on. The new 1200 is a totally different animal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts