Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll ride my little GS more than likely for the rest of this year, unless I run across some insane deal. But as of right now, the plan is to sell the GS this Fall, and pick up a used Ninja 250 for the wife. She sat on one at the dealership and she said it felt more comfortable to her. Fine..good enough. I'm going to buy myself another everyday bike..either in the Fall or early Spring. Depends on what I find, and if I buy new or not.

So far...the SV650S is leading the pack for me. I like the low end torque and not having to rev the piss out of the engine when just tooling around town. It 'feels' light like the GS and doesn't take alot of effort to get it to go where ya want...BUT it's got enough power to entertain 'spirited' riding session when the time / situation permits.

The riding position is what I concentrated on first and foremost as I've been looking / riding.

The SV is winning that one so far.

The Ninja 650 was 'close' but I felt like the bars were too low for me for something.....just wasn't as comfy for me (6'3" 225 if it makes a shit)

I like that it doesn't have a lowering fairing as well...

I've noticed the FZ6 seems to have a similar riding position. What about the engine? Doesn't the FZ use a form of the R6 engine? It's EFI as well...but the FZ is almost 50lbs heavier...

Any input from people who've ridden 'em more than a few miles?

Price is within $600 or so...so that's not big...at least new.

Now for the other big question...

SV650S went EFI in 03..... what's everyone's input? EFI or not? I love my EFI in my project and DD cars..what about bikes? I wonder can you pop start a dead EFI bike like a carbed bike?

Reliability? 4 years of the SV w/ EFI....what's everyone's experiences / feedback here?

I like the pre '03 SV650S as well...my only mod would be white face on BOTH gauges, not just the tach...that just looks...off...to me.

What kind of gas mileage you guys knocking down on these things?

Thanks

Chris

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken.

·
Gianticus Squidicus
2,831 Posts
I can't comment on the smaller carbed bikes but the biggest gripes I have with my bike is the huge carbs are a bitch tooling around town. Open road it's great, in town I wish I had FI.

We never had a problem with EFI on the wifes 06 SVS. An I don't believe you can bump start and EFI bike, it needs current to flow fuel;.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
I've noticed the FZ6 seems to have a similar riding position. What about the engine? Doesn't the FZ use a form of the R6 engine? It's EFI as well...but the FZ is almost 50lbs heavier...
R6 engine, EFI, 14K redline, 90mph in second gear.

All the comfort of the SV and a screaming F1 engine between your legs...can't beat it.

Come on over to the FZ6 forum and chat with us...its very active and we can answer any question you have. The FZ6 is insanely awesome.

·
Parrothead
560 Posts
I agree with Parabellum completely. The FZ6 is the best bang for the buck. Tooling around town at low RPM's is not a problem, but when you do wind it up, get ready before you let it go.:banana

With the undertail exhaust, half fairing and great ergos, I just can't see how you could go with anything else.

P.S. I am quite biased though.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Can't comment on the FZ6, but others think very highly of them.

I had an '00 sv650 for 5 years and 47K+ miles before getting the sv1k. The 650 was a blast and never gave me any problem whatsoever. It even got me home (about 40 miles) after going down in the hills. The 1k was a natural next bike for me with better/fully adjustable suspension, 50% more power, and that lovely v-twin. The fact that it has FI is a bonus. Once I re-jetted the 650, I never had to touch the carbs again except for the occasional re-sync (which is quite simple on a twin).

Since my 650 battery never faltered (I sold the bike with the original battery that was still fine), I never had the pleasure of bump-starting it. It's just not a priority. Bump-starting a bike with FI would be a challenge. I'm convinced the battery in the 650 lasted as long as it did due to me riding the bike 50-52 weeks/year. Usually once I started the bike and left home, it would be at lest 100 miles before I got back. :)

I now have over 16k miles on my '05 1k with absolutely no issues. I've found a v-twin to be the perfect street bike. 650's don't do so badly at the track either. I had a blast at 2 track days.

·
The chick on the Beemer!
455 Posts
I have an 01 svs that I have put 11k miles on since I got it a year and a half ago. It is carburated but I have never had any issues with it. I did have to bump start one time when the rectifier went out and it was very easy. I get anywhere from 45 - 50 mpg on the bike depending on how I ride.

Are you looking at the svs or the naked version? If you are looking at the svs one thing to note is either in 03 or the 04 on up the riding position did get more agressive on the svs. I personally think the riding position on the naked is too upright and the fz6 is the same position as the naked sv. Sit on them and see what feels good to you.

All in all so far it has been the best $3000 I have ever spent :D

·
Mr Crash :(
5,284 Posts
Parabellum said:
R6 engine, EFI, 14K redline, 90mph in second gear.

All the comfort of the SV and a screaming F1 engine between your legs...can't beat it.

Come on over to the FZ6 forum and chat with us...its very active and we can answer any question you have. The FZ6 is insanely awesome.
+1 :)

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
FZ6 FTW... and ive bump started my FZ a couple times... no harm to it and it was the same as bump starting any car or bike that i have had to do so with... just find a nice little hill and off you go... as far as compared to power to an sv... depends if you like torque and torque only then get the sv... if you like being able to essentially have two bikes in one get the FZ... its a great around town bike under 8k and is no slouch... but if you want the power its there at a flick of the wrist and above 8k you better hold on tight cause it will leave your ass...

·
Registered
409 Posts
You don't need to go in the high RPMs of the FZ6 for city riding. I usually cruise at around 4 to 6 thousand RPM in the city which is very low compared to the 14 k redline. It has an upright seating position with a very comfortable seat with a killer engine! FZ6 FTW.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Yeah, between the SV and the FZ you have to figure out if you prefer:

SV: Low end torque on demand, deep tone of a V-Twin, but a short rev range.

FZ: Very little low end torque, screaming inline four, 14K rev range.

Is the SV a 6 speed like the FZ?

I really enjoy the six speed gearbox, but its probably not as necessary on a VTwin.

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
The newer SV650S has a bit more of an aggressive stance than the FZ6. The SV650 naked has about the same riding stance as the FZ6. The SV650 has more low end pull, while the FZ6 has more top-end pull. All depends on what you want, and what you feel comfortable with.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
It really comes down to preference. Lots of people like the FZ6, Lots like the SV650. Both are good bikes. The SV has the low end grunt, the FZ6 is a screamer. It depends on what kind of character you want your bike to have. As for EFI, I would not buy a carb'd bike. Yes throttle response can be a bit off/on, but you get used to that very quickly. What you gain in reliability, automatic tuning for altitude, easy tuning via PC vs re-jetting is more than worth it. No question. If it helps, here is a dyno comparo of an '03 SV and an '03 R6 (very similar to the FZ6) that illustrates what each bike has and lacks. This is no substitute for actually riding the bikes of course, but gives you an idea about how power is delivered.

The SV is making 5-10 HP more at any given RPM up until a little after 9k where the higher revving engine takes over and starts to shine. If the Fz is geared/tuned differently and is making more low end power I apologize in advance. The Fz6 guys can give you more details. But the magazine comparisons say basically the same thing. The numbers might be off a little but the point remains.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Both are excellent bikes. I looked at both of these bikes in great detail while shopping for my new bike this year. I ultimately chose the SVS due to personal preference, and not technical merit.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Yeah the FZ6 is using a slightly de-tuned R6 engine...but they are very very similar. I believe the R6 has a higher peak output, while the FZ6 was tuned to give you more in the low-mid range where most of your daily riding will be done.

I agree that between these two bikes, its preference. I don't feel that there is any clear winner...both are excellent.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jesus.... I didn't even realize they changed the riding position on the 03 and never SV650...shit....

How much more 'aggressive' is it? The SV I put some miles on was NOT EFI, so it must have been older then 2003. So I guess they added EFI and changed the riding position......shit....that was my first criteria was being COMFORTABLE on the bike...dammit...

Guess I need to go look at a new SV and drive it. Sucks too, cause I won't deal with the dealership that's VERY convenient to me..they are pricks...and they don't mess w/ their prices much either. I have my fill with them over dirt bikes...

So I guess I have to see if I even like the ride of the new SVS... and then I'll have to try the FZ out.

What about the Ninja 650? I keep hearing this pop up when I tell guys I know (that ride) that I intend to RIDE...ALOT...as in day-in-day-out commuting, store runs....late night pleasure ride..and some longer trips.

It's actually cheaper, (new anyway) than the FZ6 or SVS.

I really don't want a bike payment, and I really don't want to lay out $6k+ unless I'm totally SOLD on the bike..so I guess I need to check out the new SVS comfort factor first...

What about used SV650's? Anything to look for? Is the SV's V-Twin as bulletproof as the older 'zukes are? Meaning with maintenance and upkeep can I get 30k out of it before I have to tear it apart?

Chris

Thanks again......

·
The chick on the Beemer!
455 Posts
There are great deals to be had on used SV's. That was how I got mine. Go to a dealership and just sit on one of the newer ones. It may be ok for you. I certainly felt more leaned over than I do on my bike.

I spent 3k on my used 01 with 11k miles back in 05. I spent another 700 putting a centerstand, taller windshield, new stiffer fork springs, braided brake lines. I am very happy with the bike now.

The biggest thing to fix is the suspension and you may get lucky and find a used one that has already been upgraded. The 00-02 have the rounded tube frames and rounded fairings. 03 on are the more angular frames and fairings. They got angular and more aggressive :D

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
When I sat on an '06 svs is felt only marginally more comfy than my F4i. Thats why I bought a naked, it really came down to comfort. The SVS wasn't a ton better than the F4i and commuteability (just made that up) was what I was after.

Its all relative. If you're used to a race replica it'll be more comfy. If you're used to harley it'll be less comfy. Since you're used to a ninja 2fiddy it will seem a little more aggressive (forward lean and weight on the wrists) but it is nothing like a 600rr for example. Just go sit on them at a dealership, that will give you a good idea about ergos.

ctandc said:
Jesus.... I didn't even realize they changed the riding position on the 03 and never SV650...shit....

How much more 'aggressive' is it? The SV I put some miles on was NOT EFI, so it must have been older then 2003. So I guess they added EFI and changed the riding position......shit....that was my first criteria was being COMFORTABLE on the bike...dammit...

Guess I need to go look at a new SV and drive it. Sucks too, cause I won't deal with the dealership that's VERY convenient to me..they are pricks...and they don't mess w/ their prices much either. I have my fill with them over dirt bikes...

So I guess I have to see if I even like the ride of the new SVS... and then I'll have to try the FZ out.

What about the Ninja 650? I keep hearing this pop up when I tell guys I know (that ride) that I intend to RIDE...ALOT...as in day-in-day-out commuting, store runs....late night pleasure ride..and some longer trips.

It's actually cheaper, (new anyway) than the FZ6 or SVS.

I really don't want a bike payment, and I really don't want to lay out $6k+ unless I'm totally SOLD on the bike..so I guess I need to check out the new SVS comfort factor first...

What about used SV650's? Anything to look for? Is the SV's V-Twin as bulletproof as the older 'zukes are? Meaning with maintenance and upkeep can I get 30k out of it before I have to tear it apart?

Chris

Thanks again......

1 - 20 of 124 Posts