Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
superbike champion
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WEll.......
the title says it all ,there are many people who told me that its to late to start racing and going pro or become a sposered rider.........

I have been doing racing since i was 16.I am 21 now.....

Is it reeally too late.....
I am not talking about being in motogp or wsbk........there are many in 40's in wsbk and ama........:bangdesk

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
When you're dead ... as long as you're able, why not keep going if you like it?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
21, are you kidding me? I'm 24 and this is the first time in my life someone has ever made me feel old.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
my dad always told me racing and sports was something you had to get into at a young age. I guess thats so when you are 18 - 19 you already have years experience over your competition. If youre good youre good does not matter how old, wasn't darrel waltrip in his 40's when he retired?

Dont let anyone tell you that you cant do something as a sport.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You're only 21, go for it. If you want it that bad, you'll regret it the rest of your life if you don't.

·
Registered
197 Posts
To be competitive, it helps to start young like in any sport but age should not keep you from doing it. The main difference is being more injury prone and time to heal. I broke my first collar bone when I was less than 20 and three weeks later I was good to go. I broke my collarbone again in my 40s and it took me three months. Mentally it more tough also being closer to 50 now. When I was 20 I thought I could jump off a three story building and bounce. Now I realize my own mortality having lost friends and family along the way and knowing I have seen more sunrises than I have left.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Give it a shot. You'll find out if you can do it or not.

I'm 49, I bought a YZ450F to trailride, and was going to attack the old guy classes in either hare scrambles or something like that (I used to race a little shorttrack and TT's years ago), but after going trailriding with my buddies a bunch of times, it's obvious that I can't handle hitting the ground much any more, I don't bounce as well as I used to. It takes too long to heal now.

21? Fuck, I did it through my teens and 20s.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Only a pussy asks if he's too old; instead of spending time figuring out if you should or shouldn't, do it and see if you can or can't.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
depends what the racing world is like in India. in the states there are multiple levels of racing, basically anyone can get involved at any age.

·
superbike champion
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with u guys.......

I am yet 21:agree,its never too late if done with my full dedication......
moreover i am capable to make it upto there.Thx for all of you guys to fill me with positive thoughts............:)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I started my roadracing career at 28. I joined up with a new endurance racing team(that competed with a Scott Russell lead team) not that it matters but, it was a great thing because endurance races lead to a LOT of seat time which makes a hell of a difference. When I started doing sprint racing later in my second year I went from Novice to expert the same year(WERA). I won a C production class championship in 1990 and all this to say I wish I had started at the age you are now lol.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Haw! There is no shortage of people willing to stand in a line, just to tell you that you can't do something, for one reason or another. What is possible in this world is much vaster than what your mind is conditioned to tell you is possible. We all limit ourselves and each other too much.

Go for it!

- John

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Go for it! I'm hoping to someday, although I realize that I won't be competitive professionally, but would love to be competitive locally at least. I'm 18, 19 next month. I doubt 2 years could make much difference.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Realistically, yes, you are too old to ever be Valentio Rossi, but can you go out and have a good time and get better and eventually be competitive in some form of racing? Absolutely. Think of racing as something fun and a reason to work hard and improve. Remove delusions of grandeur and race for the sake of racing. If you do end up by chance being exceptional, then re-evaluate trying to make a career out of it. Race because its what you want to do, not because you have some thought in your head you can make money doing it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Give it a shot. You'll find out if you can do it or not.

I'm 49, I bought a YZ450F to trailride, and was going to attack the old guy classes in either hare scrambles or something like that (I used to race a little shorttrack and TT's years ago), but after going trailriding with my buddies a bunch of times, it's obvious that I can't handle hitting the ground much any more, I don't bounce as well as I used to. It takes too long to heal now.

21? Fuck, I did it through my teens and 20s.
im with you the kid should run for his moneys worth lol :)

im 47 riding a 2010 husaberg 450 :) dont fall lol I run and work out hard to just so I will not get hurt as bad and heal quicker.

I do wear more protective gear at this age but still love street and dirt.

When i was young and faster I made allot of mistakes pushing it.

At this age im much cleaner and on the street im progressing nicely.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts