Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in terms of seating, pedals and handlebars.

does that make sense?

ive been riding a 250r for a little while and my cousin let me ride his r6 earlier and i did NOT like it at all. handlebars were too far 'down/far away' for my liking, the pedals were more 'behind' me then on my ninja 250.

im just trying to figure out which bikes would be suitable for my 'preferences' when i go to upgrade in a few months. the dealership here only has new bikes not used so i cant just go sit on different older bikes and see what fits me. i sat on a 2013 cbr500 and it was nice, but still only a 500, and NEW, i dont want to buy new. then sat on a ninja 1000 and did not like it either, same as the r6.

does all this make sense? im sure i could of searched but i could barely word it in this so i wouldnt know how to word it in the searchbox.

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im really open to suggestions as long as the handlebars are more like the 250r's and not the r6 i rode earlier, then the pedals.

im not stuck to one brand like 'oh it has to be a kawasaki, what are my options'

·
Registered
569 Posts
sat on a ninja 1000 and did not like it either, same as the r6.
Did you mean the Ninja 1000 or the Ninja ZX-10R? The former is designed for the street and is an upright sport standard, the latter is designed for the track with aggressive ergonomics and other characteristics that make it less than ideal for the street.

If your a tall guy the street oriented adventure bikes are usually pretty comfortable and still quick:

Kawsaki Versys
Triumph Tiger 1050
Ducati Multistrada
Suzuki V-strom

Some of the light weight ST's or middleweight sport bikes may be good fits as well:
VFR 800
BMW f800ST
Triumph sprint ST
Suzuki bandit/gsx/whatever they're calling it this year
Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Kawasaki Ninja 650

And then there are the naked bikes:
Yamaha FZ1
Yamaha FZ8
Kawasaki Z1000
Honda CB500
Honda CB1000R
Triumph Speed Triple
Triumph Street Triple
Ducati Monster
BMW F800

And if you want to be REALLY bad ass there are the supermotos. Dirt bikes turned into street bikes that are faster than pretty much anything until you get to 50 MPH.

KTM 690 SMC
KLX 250SF
DRZ 400SM

Everything I've listed here has a fairly upright seating position. The adventure bikes are probably the most practical and give up very little in real world performance but may not meet your aesthetic demands. The middleweight sport/ST segment is probably what you had in mind with the ninja 650 being probably the closest thing to a "b***** ninja 250." The naked bikes are comfy but lack even the limited protection you had on the ninja. The Supermotos are seriously the most fun you can have on 2 wheels and will ride circles around everything else listed here but don't have the "cool" factor that sportbikes have and you're friends will make fun of you for owning one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone ive been going through all the models listed and im leaning towards the 650r.

im not trying to go stupid fast i just want something i can pass someone without having to downshift every single time, so to speak.

thanks

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Kawasaki 650R and Yamaha FZ6. I've owned all three.

Trust me, you should make it a habit to downshift to pass. I used to be like you. Same thing with another new-rider thing where the rear brake is used too often. Experience it over time and you'll never go back.

Keep riding and enjoy!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Go here:
Motorcycle Ergonomics
Enter your height/inseam, look at the Ninja 250R, and then try other bikes to see which are similarly laid out. Then, head to a local bike shop and sit on some. See what ya like.

PCHBreeze is right though, both the FZ6 and the Ninja 650R fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
What year R6 was it? I was going say the older model R6 and the R6s are the comfiest, smallest feeling sportbikes I've ridden.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What year R6 was it? I was going say the older model R6 and the R6s are the comfiest, smallest feeling sportbikes I've ridden.
it was an 06, handlebars were just way to low and the pedals were just to far behind me, didnt care for it.

its down to the fz6 and the 650r for me, both the best looking bikes out of the groups.

thanks

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
it was an 06, handlebars were just way to low and the pedals were just to far behind me, didnt care for it.

its down to the fz6 and the 650r for me, both the best looking bikes out of the groups.

thanks
You mean pegs...no big deal though.

Both really are great bikes and great engineering for a learning curve. Ive owned monster and own a monster now but for the right price I tried to buy another one of those and trust me they are almost as fun if you ride them right...or just plain ride them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Go with the FZ6. It's a great all around bike. There is a reason so many people love it. I rode a DR350 before my FZ6. The DR350 was a very tall bike compared to FZ6. I can ride the FZ bike all day without issue.

·
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
1,135 Posts
My girlfriends 250 ninja is far more similar to my Triple than my R6, as far as handlebar and footpeg positioning goes. I think a 250 ninja is practically a small displacement naked bike, except it isn't "naked".

·
Registered
272 Posts
I wouldnt go that far. They handle better than most real standards.
I meant that more in relation to the seating position. Back fairly straight and pegs underneath you rather than slightly behind. As far as handling goes, I would think that it's mostly due to the size and weight of the bike rather than the quality of the suspension.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts