Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does everyone hook the Ballasts for your HID systems? I'm gonna be installing in a week or 2 and I have 2 ballasts and a hi/low wiring harness. Needless to say, I am gonna be cramming a lot of stuff in a very small area.

I was thinking about just mounting the ballasts somewhere near the forks, but obviously making sure I have full turning radius on the bike afterwards. Is that what everyone seem to do?

Also, with the hi/low harness, I have to connect the positive wire to the battery and then I have to connect the negative/ground. In the past on cars, I've just unscrewed a bolt leading to the frame, hooked the wire and put the screw back on. Should I do the same for the bike with the frame being aluminum or can/should I hook the negative/ground wire to the negative terminal on the battery?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
They should go in the trash, HID conversions suck and they are downright dangerous for other divers. You can get good bulbs that will actually increase visibility, unlike HIDs that are actually worse when it's raining...

Either way, strap the ballasts near the headlights, probably to the hidden bits of the fairing stay or in the space between the headlights and the RAM air duct. And run a wire for the negative connection all the way back to the battery, using the aluminum frame as a ground is not a good idea.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They should go in the trash, HID conversions suck and they are downright dangerous for other divers. You can get good bulbs that will actually increase visibility, unlike HIDs that are actually worse when it's raining...

Either way, strap the ballasts near the headlights, probably to the hidden bits of the fairing stay or in the space between the headlights and the RAM air duct. And run a wire for the negative connection all the way back to the battery, using the aluminum frame as a ground is not a good idea.
I don't ride in the rain. That's what my car is for. I don't daily the bike. I have HID's on all my cars and they are much brighter than any bulb I've ever used. Hands down. The ones you've seen/used may just have been crap quality if you're finding brighter halogen bulbs. And blinding? I aim my lights down. I don't even get flashed. They aren't nearly as bothersome as trucks and suv's with their lights on.

Ill put the negative on the battery. Thank you!

·
Registered
691 Posts
The fact that you aim it down and don't get flashed doesn't make the kit better than a good set of halogen bulbs; it just means you incorrectly aimed your headlights, doing the reverse of the reason you install an HID system on a vehicle, so that you don't get the excess glare in other vehicle operator's eyes.

Throw them away/sell them and retrofit a quality HID system in your headlights. You wallet might be much more lighter than a PnP kit, and your free time might be used up; but the benefit is worth it. Very few headlight housings actually work well with most of those PnP kits, even the more expensive PnP kits.

Going with the kit is just for style, and to slightly make your pockets a bit lighter; don't kid yourself into thinking or believing otherwise.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I put HID's on my '14 and used them for about a month...until I rode at night with them for the first time. They were bright for sure, but the pattern (or lack thereof) made them useless. Swapped 'em out for some PIAA bulbs...much better.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
If you don't have projectors in your headlights, do not put in HID's. You'll blind the fuck out of everyone else, or be forced to point your headlights down obscuring your vision.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hahaha I disagree with that statement saying I know better than anyone else. I already spent $65 on these things so of course i'm not going to throw em in the trash. I'm installing them. I don't have the money for a retrofit, nor would I like the way it looks on my bike so that's not happening.

If the lights happen to suck on my bike and be worse than what I have, i'll rip em out and come on here PM'ing each of you saying that "you were right".

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
If you don't have projectors in your headlights, do not put in HID's. You'll blind the fuck out of everyone else, or be forced to point your headlights down obscuring your vision.
Depends on the reflector design. Some scatter the light everywhere and allow light to travel directly from the bulb without first hitting the reflector.

Others, like the reflector setup on my Monster 1100, work perfectly fine with HID bulbs. Partly because it had a shield to block direct transmission of light, and also because the reflector kept the same cutoff and dispersion as it did with the halogen.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
On my way home I was blinded by two a$$holes with HID retrofit kits and I was reminded of this topic.

First of all, lets clear up something, the problem with HID retrofit kits is not the alignment nor the focus, which in some cases, like 9004 and 9007, will be off no matter what you do, or cases like 9005-9006-H4, which will be pretty much spot on for practical purposes.

The problem is that, even in cases like H4, the reflector is not meant to deal with that much light.

See, headlights are not just meant to light the road in front of you, they are not spot lights. They are designed to light the road in front of you as well as roadside signs, overhead signs and also, peripheral vision.

2013-02-24 23.14.05.jpg

The big blob of light is meant to light up the road, but in the upper right side of the light blob there is a diagonal line of lower intensity. That is meant to light up the road side signs that will be on the right side of the road, for those of us who are on left hand driving countries, it is exactly the opposite on right hand driving countries.

But that is not all of it:

2013-02-24 23.15.22.jpg

The headlight is also designed to put light to the sides, and up (not seen in the picture). It's quite clear the peripheral illumination on the right side of the picture.

Even if you get the HID capsule aligned, which is not hard to do in H4/H7 and others, you'll end up putting much more light than you should in the areas meant for peripheral illumination.

Contrary to popular belief, HID retrofits are more annoying for people driving besides or in front of you than they are to oncoming traffic. The peripheral illumination will end up lighting up the rearview mirrors of the other cars driving in the same direction. It is not a matter of alignment, it doesn't really matter how low the headlights are aimed, the peripheral illumination will be blinding for other drivers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts