Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'm flying back to the US with our two German Shredders at the end of the month.

Where do people get the best deals on dog food? I've been scouring the net and its ready to do my head in. They'll be outside of Chicago in Joliet. I've looked at online and in store prices and what not.

They are eating Royal Canin out here, they don't have better. Not sure if I should stay on the same or get better. We do mix in chicken breast and vegetables and sometimes a bit of rice. They eat well, healthy, shiny coats...and are a couple of knuckleheads, smart ones though.

Attachments

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
we feed our beasts Fromm's

Fromm Family Foods Gourmet Dog & Cat Food, Naturally Holistic

we have tried a few cheaper foods, Science Diet an Iams, and purina for the cats, but their coats always get shabby looking. especially our fluffy ass persian/Himalayan cat, she actually gets dred locks on cheap food, but is so silky with fromms. the fact that it's made 15 miles away doesn't hurt either.

obligatory beasty pics

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
http://dogdaysofbirmingham.com/tyfoon/site/fckeditor/file/TOP Worst & Best Dog Foods.pdf

There are other sources out here as well. Many of the popular dog foods on the market are basically crap and the reasons why so many dogs have allergies and skin issues. Just because it says Chicken on the label should not be a sign to buy it. Science Diet is sold by vets all over the country and it is consistently rated one of the worse around. There are some good foods out here and there is a lot of junk.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
We spend a good amount of money at a natural petfood store here for our cats. An 8lb bag of food is $40. But, they tend to do much better on the food, and there's less fillers so they don't eat quite as much.

There's also been a trend of raw food for dogs and cats lately as well. Usually sold in freezers/coolers.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I buy orijen from my local petstore. 45-50 bucks for a 15 lb bag. The pups coat looks way better than on any other food I've tried, has a ton of energy, plus every 13th bag is free

·
Registered
109 Posts
I feed Prince Prissy Paws (aka Kai) Orijen 6 Fish Blend. Kai's a Shiba Inu, can have both grain and chicken allergies. I did raw for him as a pup. But it was starting to get really expensive for premade. Orijen is really good, highly rated. Costs a bit more but dogs tend to eat less so it balances out.

Only warning I'd give is Orijen is very high in protein, especially their red meats blend. Kai couldn't take it and it was... messy. But never a problem with the 6 Fish.

Prince Prissy Paws (he only gets his paws wet if he has no choice)

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I've tried a lot of different dog foods. The cheap crap you buy at Walmart really is the McDonalds of the dogfood world. Sure your animals will survive eating that crap, but it's no good for them. When I rescued my bulldog he was being fed 'Ol Roy. After switching him to Taste of the Wild, his coat went from rough and dry and shedding a TON to a healthy shiny coat with minimal shedding.

After having tried several of the expensive brands, I settled on Taste of the Wild. It is grain-free quality food that my dog loves and gets consistently great ratings, but at a reasonable price compared to other high end dog foods. I buy it at the local Tractor Supply Co.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I typically give my pitbull iams. And occasionally bill jack. Which is a lot better.
But I have to make a special trip to get it. All the local groceries sell the frozen food but I get the non frozen kind.
Bil-Jac Mobile
Billjack doesn't Have to spray fat on the food like other brands because of the way they cook it. Unlike the majority of dog food brands the nutrition of the food isn't cooked out.

Whatever you buy look at the ingredients. There are a lot of them with crazy chemicals. Like propylene glycol. Yes, anti-freeze. And I would also suggest you look what country of origin it's from. There is a lot of dog food made in China. They do not have the same standards in food production the US has.
Also with rawhide chews. Specifically the pet pride brand at Kroger has been linked to many pet deaths of dangerous chemicals in it.
there are plenty of USA made dog chews on the market. I order them online since all the local pet stores only sell products from China, brazil, and other south america places. I'm not ok with it.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all...

Saw the chewy.com and dogfoodadvisor.com sites. Glad I'm not the only one and not looking at something obscure.

But yeah, good grub for them all the way. The royal canin will probably be a start and then we'll transition into something better. They have been really healthy to date and very shiny coats. Maybe they'll eat less...I dunno

Good point on the snacks and where from/made. They love raw hides, but have this uncanny habit of dropping there guts, staring at their arse like...huh? I did that?...and leaving the room....bastards...superb timing and usually when we are at a good part of a movie.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
I've tried a lot of different dog foods. The cheap crap you buy at Walmart really is the McDonalds of the dogfood world. Sure your animals will survive eating that crap, but it's no good for them. When I rescued my bulldog he was being fed 'Ol Roy. After switching him to Taste of the Wild, his coat went from rough and dry and shedding a TON to a healthy shiny coat with minimal shedding.

After having tried several of the expensive brands, I settled on Taste of the Wild. It is grain-free quality food that my dog loves and gets consistently great ratings, but at a reasonable price compared to other high end dog foods. I buy it at the local Tractor Supply Co.
This. Have a pitbull w/ digestive problems. Taste of the Wild is awesome. And I throw in some Dinovite as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No affiliation with the below, simply good prices and satisfied with delivery. We've been using them for a few years.

Chewy.com

During a recall for a brand several months, they simply and automatically "took" care of the hassle of recall processing and gave me a credit of close to $100 for my order.

We like the "Wellness" line for dogs/cats and Evo for diabetic cat.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I've been reading all the stuff on dog food adviser. I'm starting to think they're more of a marketing tool for expensive dog food brands.

yeah I don't want to feed my dog dangerous bs food but when they are giving low ratings to stuff for having "chicken by product" because it may contain any part of a chicken and it sounds gross. that's just ridiculous. sorry but it's a fucking dog. it would eat the stomach of a chicken if you laid it in front of them anyway. they don't give a flying shit.
and reading the comments section...jesus christ. you would think if you didn't spend $900 for a 5lb bag your dog is going to explode into a large tumor or something. then they try to pursued you to foods with fish as the first ingredient. they don't mention the fda warns humans about eating fish because of mercury poisoning.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Serpentracer, good points as well. Like I said, the dogs are healthy, shiny coats and eat. Nothing wrong or sick so changing is not a necessity. They both have a bit of gray at 4.5 and 2.5, but the parents are the same.

The advantage in the US will be that I have a large freezer. I suppose I can mix up individual batches of dog food with a bit of chicken, rice and vegetables and freeze it into portions. I (or wife) can whip this up in a large pot every week or two and then store and pull out into fridge as needed.

Bottom line, the bastards are spoiled and healthy.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Serpentracer, good points as well. Like I said, the dogs are healthy, shiny coats and eat. Nothing wrong or sick so changing is not a necessity. They both have a bit of gray at 4.5 and 2.5, but the parents are the same.

The advantage in the US will be that I have a large freezer. I suppose I can mix up individual batches of dog food with a bit of chicken, rice and vegetables and freeze it into portions. I (or wife) can whip this up in a large pot every week or two and then store and pull out into fridge as needed.

Bottom line, the bastards are spoiled and healthy.
Careful with making your own dog food. University of California, Davis did a study last year by examining 200 homemade dog food recipes and found that 95 % had some serious nutritional deficiencies. Look on the labels for dog food for AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) Choose the one that shows it has undergone animal feeding trials compared to one that was "formulated".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts