Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All our sheds are full in the winter.

my house isn't an option :(

Storage place? how has that worked out for other people?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
how about a friend's house? or rent a garage spot from a nice neighbor? :)

my bike is parked behind my wife's parking stall at our condo.

risky yes, but we have good security and it's by the front door.

I need a cover and a lock so I can chain the bike to the car at night

·
loner
201 Posts
i'm putting mine in my basement this winter (with room for about a half dozen others who want to keep theirs in a heated basement for the winter).

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Since there's no such thing as winter here in Hawaii, I keep mine outside and covered when not in use.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Its already winter up in maine, huh? i kept mine in my friends garage last winter. if you can't find anyone to let you do that, i would get a storage unit.

·
Registered
839 Posts
go to the dump and get a bunch of extra wood"2+4's and some ply wood. make a little shed beside your house big enough for the bike and you to get beside it comfortably. then do all the proper storage procedures for it.... oil change, cover exhaust, take out battery etc. and it should be fine untill next riding season.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I keep mine in the garage, if it was not an option I would get a storage unit to keep it in.

·
Registered
791 Posts
bottomdog said:
All our sheds are full in the winter.

my house isn't an option :(

Storage place? how has that worked out for other people?

Ok is it really winter already up there? :bitchslap

·
Registered
179 Posts
Going along with the subject, I'm wondering what to do with the bike I'll have when I go off to college ('05 R6). I'll be living in the dorms and will want to ride every day, so I'll need to keep it somewhere close. The problem is that there are no enclosed structures like garages or anything to safely park it in. The only option is to park in one of the campus parking lots. I'm thinking that might be taking too much of a risk, cause it might get stolen, but the only other thing I could do is find a storage unit to park it in when I don't ride, kinda like a garage. The problem with that is that it wouldn't be close and I won't have a car at college to drive myself to the storage unit to get my bike. Basically what I'm saying is that my only option is to park in a campus lot, unprotected. I think that the '05 R6, being such a nice bike, would have a high likelihood of being stolen, and that's what I'm worried about. Any ideas? Also, I'm going to have theft insurance, so if it gets stolen, it won't be a huge issue (well, it WILL be a huge issue, but not AS HUGE), but I don't want to be getting a new bike every week because it keeps getting stolen. Plus, my insurance rates would go up, and I can't be able to afford that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
MattMchgn said:
Going along with the subject, I'm wondering what to do with the bike I'll have when I go off to college ('05 R6). I'll be living in the dorms and will want to ride every day, so I'll need to keep it somewhere close. The problem is that there are no enclosed structures like garages or anything to safely park it in. The only option is to park in one of the campus parking lots. I'm thinking that might be taking too much of a risk, cause it might get stolen, but the only other thing I could do is find a storage unit to park it in when I don't ride, kinda like a garage. The problem with that is that it wouldn't be close and I won't have a car at college to drive myself to the storage unit to get my bike. Basically what I'm saying is that my only option is to park in a campus lot, unprotected. I think that the '05 R6, being such a nice bike, would have a high likelihood of being stolen, and that's what I'm worried about. Any ideas? Also, I'm going to have theft insurance, so if it gets stolen, it won't be a huge issue (well, it WILL be a huge issue, but not AS HUGE), but I don't want to be getting a new bike every week because it keeps getting stolen. Plus, my insurance rates would go up, and I can't be able to afford that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
It is extremely likely that your bike will be stolen on a college campus. The reasons for that is in the clear open view for everyone to see and it doesnt take an expert thief to know the best times to steal your bike based on your schedule. All they have to do is watch it for a few days. Ive seen it happen plenty of times. The bes thing you could do is get a storage unit. I know that can be a pain because you wont be able to ride at will but it wont make your bike as easy to steal and the r6 is close to the top of the list when it comes to stolen bikes. If a storage unit is out of the question get a bike cover and some type of chaining equipment to lock it to an immovable object this wont make your bike impossible to steal just less likely. i dont live on campus but i have some friends that do they usually park their bikes right next to each other and chain them together when they leave them on campus overnight. Im just a little paranoid about that i dont think I could do it. but if u do a little more research on this you should find some threads on this subject.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Look over what you will have in your sheds & plan on putting the bike away, fully locked, in one of them. Think of what you can leave out of one shed, yet with tarps on whatever you are putting outside.

Good possibility you are would prefer to put out a few hundred dollars, well sealed up, rather then a m/c of several thousand dollars. Just a bit of advanced thinking for you.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Only the garage. As for the college boy with the problem of where to park it- you have any friends either on campus or off campus close to you that wouldmind you rolling the bike into their aparments. Sounds crazy, but for 4 years at JMU I use to roll my bike right into the living room, or through the living room to the deck. Fuck it, we new we were losing the security deposit anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
matt- see if u can rent one of those "pods" for a spot in that parkink lot. u can park it close to school and have it sheltered. dont know how ur school is going to feel about it but worth a shot :locked

1 - 20 of 21 Posts