Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding home from work and got to thinking. Are you supposed to be up next to the gas tank or back further on the seat? Where do you guys sit on your seat? I slide back so more of the seat is in contact with my butt, but everytime I get on the brakes I slide forward again and my arms get tired like that...so I usually just get tired of sliding back and forth and just stay next to the gas tank.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I sit up next to the tank. The only time I slide back is if I'm on the highway and want to get just a little lower (slightly more leaned) or if I'm getting into a tuck.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Since my first track day I sit "crowding the tank" except going down steep hills or resting on the highway. The track instructor demonstrated how easy it is to shift your weight side-to-side by rotating around the tank. Made sense and worked for me so I've stuck with it.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm usually pretty close to the tank - its most comfortable there because my legs don't have to bow out over the wider rear area and because it helps my short legs touch the ground.

I've been trying to sit back lately while learning wheelies though!
- on a side note, the stitching on my back pockets started scratching (or really scuffing) the paint between the two seats... damn it.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Most of the time I am sitting so close I am on the tank

·
Registered
791 Posts
my bike isnt set up to have me super lean forward like the newer sportbikes. but i sit where the sit divides into the passanger section. I put the back of my butt on that lil lip of a divider.

When I'm doing some serious speeding 100+ I scoot forward so my legs can grab the tank better, that way i dont relax and let my knee drag the air.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Basically right up next to the tank. I've tried to sit further back in the seat but I always feel as though I'm reaching too much for the handlebars. Even when doing wheelies it's just too akward to try and sit all the way back on the seat.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Sit close to the tank. On long runs on the highway, I'm back a little bit. Sitting back also helps give you're piping a little love too. Sometimes a good sized bump on the road can introduce the tank to your mid-section. Maybe only a guy problem.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Every sportbike I've ridden or sat on just feels "right" the closer to the tank I am. Plus when commuting you can sit up straighter and rest the legs and arms. The more I am over that front wheel the more control I have much like Ray0SV said.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I sit up on the tank til my butt gets sore, then I shift back and forth every few minutes. Butt gets sore after about 80-100 miles.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Right next to the tank, unless I'm in a tuck then I shift my ass back some.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
decius said:
I sit up next to the tank. The only time I slide back is if I'm on the highway and want to get just a little lower (slightly more leaned) or if I'm getting into a tuck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Because of my enormous package I'm forced to sit on the back seat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
decius said:

Ditto!

·
Registered
53 Posts
saq said:
Because of my enormous package I'm forced to sit on the back seat.
Beat me to it... I'm also a bit taller so I usually sit back some but my ass starts to hurt a lot quicker when sitting back than sitting close to the tank.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts