Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The US Department of Defense isn’t sure where Damascus is: statistical proof - Us Vs Th3m

You’d expect folks in the US Department of Defense to know the location of the place they’re probably about to bomb.

Well, yesterday we made a game about guessing where Damascus is, and only 57% of the answers we got from inside the DoD were right.

In total, more than 100,000 people played the game. Here’s what we found out:

The majority of people do know where Damascus is.
More than 50% of our players guessed within 200 miles. Given the zoomed-out satellite map and inaccurate input methods like smartphones, we count that as spot on.

Texans were slightly worse than everyone else - 49.3% got it correct compared to the world average of 52.5%.
Mac users are much worse than Linux users - 52% of Mac users got it correct, while Linux users got 57.7%.
Readers of the Independent are massively more well-read than the rest of the internet — or, rather, they got a big spoiler of where to click in their articles. 64.3% got it spot on.
Buzzfeed readers are worse at geography than the average user of the internet. Only 49.7% were within 200 miles. To make that worse, Buzzfeed readers were told where to click by being shown a map in the article and they still did worse than average.
I was just a little bit off... Bombed Pakistan.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I'm astonished that more than 50% guessed within 200 miles - in fact I don't believe it. Either they cheated taking the quiz, or they knew from a map of recent events.

Hell, there's cities in the state I was born in I couldn't spot within 200 miles.

KeS

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I'd be lucky if I could point out Syria on a world map. That said, I bet money nobody from the ME could point out Iowa on a world map either. How many Syrians do you think could accurately point out the capital of Texas? Or the capital of New York?

·
Registered
278 Posts
who gives a shit ... that's why they have gps and a myriad of databases to choose from in order to input coordinates as the target.

and who cares if they overshoot the target ... that entire area would be better served if made into a parking lot anyway.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I got 134 miles away, although that should count as being correct, because it used the whole dang map with no zoom capabilities to click on it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
30 miles off for me, i claim no borders for me to use as a reference points for why i was off.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can zoom in the map, at least I can using the scroll wheel on the mouse.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I got within 8 miles, but I cheated like a motherfucker.

I see nothing wrong with not knowing where Damascus, that's why I pay taxes. Then the government can pay someone else to find it for me. My stupidity becomes economic stimulation, or something like that...

Besides, Damascus is really in Maryland.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Somewhere in there, WTF cares?!?

...end of thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
LT, that was NOT the way to start my morning! I got to go ride to clear my head.
As far as Damascus, that is easy. Go east until you smell it, then left until you step in it.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'm astonished that more than 50% guessed within 200 miles - in fact I don't believe it. Either they cheated taking the quiz, or they knew from a map of recent events.

Hell, there's cities in the state I was born in I couldn't spot within 200 miles.

KeS
That's OK. There are nations on this planet that are smaller then 200 miles.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
That's OK. There are nations on this planet that are smaller then 200 miles.
...and I live on one of them. Bahrain is maybe 15 miles wide and 35 miles long.

To run through a tank of gas in the bike makes me dizzy :grump

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
i was 13 miles off.

but the survey shows basically nothing. because no one guesses when they bomb a place. they have coordinates...so its kind of irrelevant to ask DoD to pick out a small city on a map with limited zoom and no labels. Instead ask the bombers to locate the city with their equipment.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Not sure Syria is worth a visit from a Bone or a B-2. IIRC, the Harpoons are being upgraded from Block III to Block IV. The Block IV can be lofted into a kill box, then cruise around until a target is found. The Block III is straight to the target and boom.
Might be a good chance to kaBonk a few of the old ones. Syria has the SA300, which is a VERY obsolete Sam. The 400 is the Rooskie's latest and it is just obsolete. I doubt that any Russian gear can track, target and shoot down a Harpoon, even a III.
What the cowards don't seem to understand is that no American Military needs to get close enough to Syria to get shot at.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I got within 102 miles with no cheating. I moved my first click more north as I was afraid it was too close to the Jews. I should not have moved as it was within 20 miles :-(

It really wasn't to hard. If you ever see news reports with maps of Israel. Syria is always shown to the Northeast. I would guess not many have a clue where Damascus is so you just aim for the center region of whee Syria should be and hope for the best. IF you don't even know where Syria is then you must not watch news broadcasts very much...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts