Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to take my bike in to have my carbs tuned up for open pod air filters and pipes. I've called around a few places and no one will tune it for my bike which is a 79 Kz 650.

It was recommended to me that I take it to a place with a dyno, but the only one that i know of is All-pro. I even called Don & Roys, but they told me to leave the stock airbox on!

can any of you guys help me out?

Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
glad you like my avitar!! but it doesnt' help my situation :twofinger

anybody else have any ideas? this is starting to bug me. :mad:

oh well, maybe i'll just have to get a new bike instead :lol ..........not

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I usually get my bike worked on in Bat Country!!!! :twofinger

I doubt I'd be any help here. I have a guy who lives over by Monroe work on my bikes, that is if I can't fix it myself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll second Mid-Cities, even though the service department monkey's screwed me around more times then i can count.....at least they have a dyno, and i've seen older bikes around there. Mike's Motorsports up in Allenton do pretty good work too....no dyno though

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i forgot that mid cities had a dyno. i'm not a fan of them because they tryed to tell me that the Kawi Concours that they had was an 04 but the didnt' make blue in 04, so it had to be 03. They finally fessed up after i brought in paper proving it, BUT i've never used their service department. Never used anyone service department before.

i'll give em a call tomorrow and see what kind of prices they give me. If they are outrageous, anyone on here wanna help me put in a stage 3 jet kit?

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I've heard that Mid-Cities' service department isn't very good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
well, if it weren't for the dyno, i wouldn't suggest them......mebbe have the work done somewhere else, and just have them put it on the dyno

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
you should be able to go anywhere.. a good tech shouldn't need a dyno to tune carbs. I'd go somewhere that has a rep of being an excellent shop over a place that had a dyno and was an okay shop.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
riverrat said:
well, if it weren't for the dyno, i wouldn't suggest them......mebbe have the work done somewhere else, and just have them put it on the dyno
Actually I heard that their service was bad because of their dyno.

·
Registered
56 Posts
well you know, now that i think about it.....they did try to convince me that Cams are wear items and the fact that they were practically round at 9k miles was normal. i'd have to say, stay away!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Now that I think about it more, I don't even think that Mid-Cities would put your bike on the dyno to tune. The would do the service work , then charge you $25 additional to run the dyno, and say here are your results, and not do any work past the dyno run. You might want to call Yochum Motorsports to and see what they would charge you too since they are very local for you.

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
I'd reccomend "The Shop" - yes, that's the name of it - on the south side. They used to be located in river west, but they have since relocated and I am unsure of thier location... but it's someplace right around Bar/Cafe Lulu.

Anyway, they specialize in old bikes... japanise and british. It's owned by a guyu named Scott Johnson - and most of the techs vintage road race japanise bikes (Honda CB-550s I think). Anyway, they are farmiliar with older bikes and hell - many dealerships won't work on bikes older than 10 years - and that bike is older than I am!

Cheers - Todd

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Todd, i'll give them a call on lunch today.

No other dealership will work on the bike, I've called Southeast, don & roy, competition, and a few other but no one will do it!! most say it's not worth it and others dont' work on bikes older then 20 yrs,

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TODD thank you for the info on "The Shop"

i just got off the phone with them and they know what they are doing!!! he asked bout the bike and pipes, i explained my situation and he said it's not a problem to do any of that. So i'm gonna head down there tomorrow and set some stuff up for them to tune the carbs & maybe put on a pipe depending on their prices compared to mine!

Wow, never heard of the place before. But I wish i would have

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
Very glad to hear you've met a match - I'm happy to be of assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts