Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Got everything covered for purchasing new bike, but the only thing I have not figured out is where do I park the bike at night. I do not have a garage so thats out. I live in a house and there is no parking spots anywhere. I could park it in front of my house but don't want the damn next door neighbor kids to mess with my bike.

I don't want to rent a garage, so any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Jimmy

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
man, them things are stolen like crazy!!! you need to be careful cause next thing you know you'll wake up and it wont be there. some guy's got flyers going around here saying that his bike got stolen from inside his garage!!! i put it inside the house!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would put it in the house too, but the entrance to my house has five steps which is about 45 degree angle.

Anyone can offer any other solution, or a solution to going up the steps.

thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh i forgot to mention that i live on the second floor after the five initial stair to get to the front door.

Any other suggestions.

·
I am very sensitive.
979 Posts
So is there a main entrace hall after the 5 steps into the door? Can you lock it up there?

Sounds like you don't have a lot of options, but if you leave it outside it will surely get stolen. If you left it outside, what are you going to do to secure it??

·
Registered
80 Posts
how did that guy get his bike stolen... even in his garage? no lock on garage or anything??? kinda suspicious just doing that

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm renting a garage. I have to walk a few minutes to get to it... but the peace
of mind is nice.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you have a spare block of cement around you can get one of those anchor things that drills into the ground. Not sure if thats okay with where your living but its an idea. Anyone have a link to one? You drill into concrete and its attached by steel basically. Or rent a garage, personally id rent a garage. Right now my bike is at my aunts house becuase my house is under construction and its lock and keyed in her garage and im still uncomfortable with it there.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I talked to my Manager and poured switched appartments from a 2nd floor one to a first floor one for that reason... now I park my bike right outside my window and chain it to the post for the upstairs balcony.....

·
Registered
235 Posts
before i had a place with a garage, this is how my baby slept everynite

when the apartment manager saw, she shit a brick, but when we did our walk through she saw where it was parked was the cleanest part of the carpet because of the cardboard i had set down there. she seemed to understand a little more after seeing that and hearing my reasoning for parking it there.

now this is how both of my bikes sleep

matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI
i had the same problem with parking, i live in an apartment building, luckly there is an iron fence below my window i chain my bike to it but not just any chain or one alone i use Kryptonytes new york chain and there best lock for the back tire and i use a disk lock on the rotors and i use a kryptonye chain for the front tire and then i cover the bike (2003 CBR954RR) with a good DOWCO cover that i lock up with an american lock, (nothing can really protect your bike against a determined thief , but all you have to do is slow them down enough so you can shoot the basterds or maybe throw a brick at them and call a cop), and that may sound like a lot but i got it down to locking and unlocking my bike in under 5 min., well worth it, the cover keeps the kids off, well good luck :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My house has no garage so I park it on the front porch. What I did is got the biggest lag screw shield (lead anchor, 2 of em, murphy's law) I could find at home depot:

I got 2 drill bits (murphy's law again) that correspond with the size on the package, and drill a hole in the concrete as deep as the anchor. Dropped the lead anchor in the hole, and I took an eye hook screw that goes with the inner dimension of the lead anchor-

Use a long thin tool through it to screw it down into lead anchor, the anchor expands and well.. anchors itself into the concrete. Take a big arse chain (Kryptonite new york chain if you can) and through the frame or wheel, and with a big arse master lock, chain it to the eye hook in the cement. Then cover it up so the asshole thieves can't see the nice flashy sportbike.

Hopefully the landlord will let you do it, and yeah if the thief is determined he's gonna get the bike, but do what ya can if you can't get a storage unit.

·
Palm City Nice Guy
2,503 Posts
My Honda lives in Florida, need's air conditioning and a blanky. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
I keep my bike outside my apartment chained to a tree on the side of the house. I got a steel braided chain with a lock on it from lowe's. I wouldn't keep a newer bike outside because I just would hate to have the weather beating on it. I probably won't get a new bike until I have a garage. :(

·
Registered
501 Posts
One of my bike is outside, the other inside the apartment.

3 locks on the outside one.

1. one lock is for the biggest chain I could find at Lowes hardware. I usually loop it through the frame and through a tire and around a huge brick collumn on my porch. Basically lock it to something immobile. if you purchase a chain, get one that won't rust. And the chain is heavy, I have about 12 feet. chains are made of different metals, some of them rust. a rusting chain is a PITA because it leaves rust residue on the parts of the bike it touches, and everytime you go to lock or unlock your bike, you get the rust crap all over your hands and you have to wash your hands if you don't want to get anything else dirty. get a chain that is for marine use and it "should" be ok. Get a good lock, more money spent on this=more security usually. and alternative to the BAC (Big Ass Chain) is a kryptonite cable. they make them in different lengths, 7, 10, 15, 20, 30 feet long. it is light and has a coating on it that won't scratch you bike like the BAC can. it is also cheaper per foot than the BAC. My dunmb ass didn't realize this until I already had my BAC cut. Next time I need a chain I will consider the kryptonite. but the kryptonites i am talking about still need a lock.

the other 2 locks are used to secure a cover on the bike. people will steal the cover cause they are not cheap and bums use them as tents. keeps prying eyes off your bike, most times a crook won't bother to look, and he aint gonna want to steal a POS. so if he doesn't know what in there, keeps your bike safer.

2. use a cover, I have the nelson riggs defender 2000. awesone cover. the bike is always clean and dry when I take the cover off (I am also parking the bike on a covered porch) protection from the elements is key, especially the sun. the cover has 2 grommets in the front which I lock those up through the front tire.

3. and it has 2 grommets in the middle around the edge of the cover. i take a 3 foot long kryptonite cable lock and loop it through these grommets . i do this so no one can sllip the cover off the back end and steal anything off my bikes. not fool proof though, but a little more protection. also, now if anyone was thinking about cutting the front 2 grommets off to steal the cover they have to also cut the middle ones off as well and then they would be left with a pretty cut up bike cover. don't know how effective this is, but I am sure when people see 3 locks on a bike they just say fug it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts