Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been researching sport bikes for years now and due to some recent events, I've decided to pull the tr*****. The only problem is I don't know exactly how 'experienced' I am and I would really appreciate your input.

I rode a 250 for a few months ~2 years ago and after the first few weeks, felt like I knew it inside and out. I always felt like I was in control. I've competed in almost every type of non-motorized sport (criteriums, downhill, xcountry) so I am extremely comfortable throwing my weight around on a bike.

My only other type of high speed experience has been flying t-38s. It's pretty similar in the sense that you just have to 'know' how something is going to respond to your input and being reckless/forgetful gets you killed fast. That and task saturation and situation awareness.

Anyway, the only time I plan on speeding is on a track (which I plan on spending a ton of time at). So I ask you, would it be reasonable for me to pick up a 600 SS this time? Or should I go to a 250 again?

Thanks again for your input. I know you guys have a ton of experience and only want the best for us new riders.

v/r
Irkk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips about a track pepped sv650.

Why not a 500?

Ninja 500, Suzuki 500F or the new CBR500?
There's no good reason at all for me not choosing a 500. Would you mind giving your input on a track prepped sv650? It seems like the vtwin will make it easier to handle than a I4, yet still provide enough power to make me feel like I'm the limiter on the machine's potential.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
"Track prepped" normally means the lights and other superfluous equipment have been removed, so it is no longer street-legal. Is that what you want?

That being said, I think an SV would be a perfect bike for you. Heck, I'm on the lookout for one myself.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yeah, you don't want a track prepped bike for the street.... but something like my old SV. I built it to ride at the track, but kept it street legal. So it had all the suspension goodies and exhaust and stuff, but still had lights and signals on it.

That, or a ninja 650 would be good. Better out of the box, but less stuff you can do to it later. Just depends on what you find a good deal on first.

·
CCS# 616
915 Posts
The 500s and the 650r for that matter have nowhere near the track support as the SV650. By track prepped I meant one with suspension work already done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, just an update and a thank you. I've decided to go with a used cbr or ninja 250r (depending on prices). I rode my friend's fjr1300 and realized that while I was comfortable riding it and doing slow speed maneuvers, I wasn't comfortable throwing the bike around. In addition, I realized that I could buy some after market clip ons for the 250 and practice identical mechanics (for a SS) on the track.

So, thanks for the warnings. They made me think back and realize that I didn't start out flying formation in jets, but in prop driven planes with an instructor right there with me. Even if I 'grow' out of it, I can still race on the track and I imagine it's a lot cheaper than racing 600s.

V/r,
Irkk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts