Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my tires finally arrived, thank god, the front one is looking bad. I came across this article on changing your tires and they recommend a 20-gallon, cylindrical steel drum, open at one end to help with tire mounting. Which would do rather good since I won't have no workbench to bolt a 14 or 15 steel tire rim to, or so I think. Anyone know where you might be able to pick one up at? Any thoughts?

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
hmm, not sure. you may try one of those large home stores. i know they sell large steel trash cans. they're probably not rigid enough tho.

or, you may want to try a local industrial supply (look in the phonebook).

You live in NC? Aren't there scads of steel drums dumped all over the place there? :joke

·
Registered
548 Posts
Why not just take it in and have it put on and spun balanced? Or are you going to balance these yourself too? It's just not worth it unless you are going through A LOT of tires.

Changing tires by hand sucks.

·
Registered
912 Posts
+1 on taking the tires to a shop to have them properly mounted and balanced. They won't charge you more than maybe $10 to do it if you've already got the wheels off the bike.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
yeah, the most expensive I've found for mount and balance (not a stealership) is $15... let them do it.. it is a HUGE pain in the ass to do it yourself.. Especially since they will charge you the full mount and balance fee, even if they do just the balance.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Where other than a stealership can you take motorcycle tires to be mounted? I didn't think a normal shop would be set up to do bike tires...

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Get a trashed 20 gallon water heater and cut one end off with a cutting torch or plasma cutter.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
TemtnF8 said:
Where other than a stealership can you take motorcycle tires to be mounted? I didn't think a normal shop would be set up to do bike tires...
there are ALWAYS shops that work on motorcycles, that arent dealerships.
Check your yellow pages / phone book.. call the ones that dont have full page adds in the motorcycle section, because they can usually do it, but dont charge stealership prices..
Also, if you have a motorcycle junkyard in your area, they almost always have a mount / balancer there.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almighty Jason said:
Why not just take it in and have it put on and spun balanced? Or are you going to balance these yourself too? It's just not worth it unless you are going through A LOT of tires.

Changing tires by hand sucks.
Yeah, going to mount and balance them myself. Bought all the tools to do it with, plus I figure I'll go through several sets a year depending on how long they last.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts