Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh hai, after years and years.

I still have my F3 and while I don't ride it as much as I should due to a busy life and northern winters, I would like to turn that into a dedicated track bike and pick up something newer to ride in the streets. I think I've narrowed it down to an '05-06 636 or 600rr, mostly because I prefer the looks of those two bikes. My budget is about 5 grand because I'd like to pay cash.

I do like that the CBR has a fuel gauge and I've heard that the 636 all digital gauge can be a pain to read, but the extra cc of the Kawi is nice. Both have undertail exhaust which I know weighs a few more lbs but looks better imo.

I looked at some old posts from 2009 that stated that 4-5k would be a good asking price for either of those bikes, but looking at craigslist and the like seem to show that those same years are still selling for the same price some 6 years later...I guess I thought I'd be seeing later model years for those prices.

Thoughts? Any input at all is welcome.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I had an 08 cbr600rr and I can say it was easy to ride fast. The fuel gauge was awesome.

If you like undertail exhausts, consider a 2006-2012 triumph daytona 675. I love mine better than any bike I've had. The torque pulls you off the corner like a twin.

I have no opinion on the 636.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I think that MCN provides a free pdf listing bike values per year. This is a decent general guide.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I get my pricing locally and adjust with my own common sense. an F4i here is worth between 2 and 7 grand. it varies wildly.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get my pricing locally and adjust with my own common sense. an F4i here is worth between 2 and 7 grand. it varies wildly.
I've had a similar experience, prices seem to be all over the place. NADA puts the private party value at around 4.5k for a 2005 model of both bikes. Another question - any advice on how one would go about finding examples to test ride? Aside from contacting someone that's selling private party as a potential buyer. I figure that's the easiest way to narrow down which 600 is for me.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Find a high volume, multi-brand dealership.

they are constantly trading used bikes for new ones, and their pre-owned inventory is revolving all the time.
Plus, it gives you the best chance, although you might pay more, of looking at one that isn't falling apart, if the dealer isn't full of total scumbags.

Reactions: seraph_rapture

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
don't get your values from craigslist ads. kbb, nada or cycletrader would be 3 places to start.

I see you live in michigan. you should check out honda east toledo. (look at cycle trader for their listings) they often have killer prices

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't get your values from craigslist ads. kbb, nada or cycletrader would be 3 places to start.

I see you live in michigan. you should check out honda east toledo. (look at cycle trader for their listings) they often have killer prices
Toledo is only about an hour away - I did try to look up their inventory on their website but that part appears to be broken.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Toledo is only about an hour away - I did try to look up their inventory on their website but that part appears to be broken.
Search around and deals can be had. Patience is the key and not settling. It took me 2 months before I found the "right" bike for me.

Got a 2013 ZX6R (636) with 2194 miles for $7000. It came with a bunch of goodies, a 2 Bros M-2 CF, integrated led tail light w/sequential turn signals, fender eliminator, brand new PC5, Kawasaki factory cover, tank pad with front and rear stands along with all stock parts. If you look on Craigslist, most guys are asking a firm $6,500-$9000 for 2010-2013 600cc supersports.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Used bike prices are way different than used cars. I've learned that most people have no clue what their bike is worth which can be very frustrating.

I sold a 2003 600RR with 15k miles in 2009 for 5k

·
Registered
37 Posts
Used bike prices are way different than used cars. I've learned that most people have no clue what their bike is worth which can be very frustrating.

I sold a 2003 600RR with 15k miles in 2009 for 5k
You are definitely right. Prices are all over the place and most guys think their bike is actually worth more than it is. KBB, NADA, and CycleTrader will help you gauge your area.

Seraph Rapture, personally for street, I'll take the '05-'06 636 over the RR. It took the shootouts by most motorcycle magazines, the extra 37ccs makes a big difference in low end torque which is where it is needed on the street. With that said, I could see the argument for the RR as well since it is, overall, such a well made bike. Preference, find what you like I guess. For the '05-'06 636, you should be able to get them for $3.5-$4K in the greater Detroit area, at least that's what I would pay. I would not pay more UNLESS it is absolutely in great shape and looks like there's nothing wrong with it. The RR, I would go no higher than $4.5K for a 2006 but that's just me. I was just in the market and spent 2 months searching. Deals can be had, just be patient and scour. There was a 2011 ZX6R for $5,500 here, a 2009 RR for $5,500 as well. Keep looking and be willing to travel up to 3 hours, if not more, for an exceptional deal.

- There's a 06 RR that is blue and black asking $4K, I'm sure you could get it for a tad under $4. It does have 27K miles but it's not too bad, about 3,300 miles a year. Bike looks clean and title is clean.
fortwayne.craigslist.org/mcy/4914581375.html

- There's a '07 RR that is black and silver asking $5K, but I'm sure if you offer $4,500, he would take it. He seems like he's itching for money. It's got 16K miles, clean title. I would seriously consider this bike as all the fairings appear to be OEM.
grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/4911566588.html

- There's an '08 ZX6R (not a 636) but two years newer with 11,292 miles and the best part...it's all STOCK which means it wasn't molested or messed around with by anyone. Improves your chances of getting a better bike, one that likely hasn't been beat up on too much. Asking $5,500 but I'm sure $5K cash, the owner would take it.
limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/4902821327.html

- An '08 ZX6R (not 636) that looks really clean, again ALL STOCK with the exception of stickers and frame sliders asking $5200. If you are a Kawi guy, you might like it more. If you are not a Kawi guy, then you may or may not like it as much. Asking $5200, I'd try $4700 saying you live and if he can help you out, you will pick up the bike and negotiate from there.
cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4907140500.html

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
The 07+ CBR 600RR is... A fantastic chassis, but beware of 09+ bikes as they have less power due to emissions. Honestly, it is the sharpest bike I've ever ridden, that bike can hold a line and make adjustments with milimetric precision. A shame though, as I can't stand the ergos. My left knee and the clutch cover always made contact, a non issue on the track, but not comfortable in the street, and I always felt as if the handlebars were too close to the seat. Oh, and it runs HOT, burning my right nee on the clutch cover, the fan blasting hot air on my left leg when I was stopped and the undertail cooking my ass, I feared getting stuck in the traffic with that bike.

I really liked the 05-06 636, it was a great do it all kind of bike. Comfortable for a sportbike and nice powerband, which IMHO, makes it a better streetbike than the CBR. Although, fi you can go newer, I think the 11+ GSX-R 600 is the best street bike. Comfy and the powerband is pretty linear, doesn't feel like old school sportbikes that felt like turbocharged engines, nothing down low and then maniac past 8K rpms, the GSX-R just pulls from down low, although it comes at a cost, not that much power up top.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 07+ CBR 600RR is... A fantastic chassis, but beware of 09+ bikes as they have less power due to emissions. Honestly, it is the sharpest bike I've ever ridden, that bike can hold a line and make adjustments with milimetric precision. A shame though, as I can't stand the ergos. My left knee and the clutch cover always made contact, a non issue on the track, but not comfortable in the street, and I always felt as if the handlebars were too close to the seat. Oh, and it runs HOT, burning my right nee on the clutch cover, the fan blasting hot air on my left leg when I was stopped and the undertail cooking my ass, I feared getting stuck in the traffic with that bike.

I really liked the 05-06 636, it was a great do it all kind of bike. Comfortable for a sportbike and nice powerband, which IMHO, makes it a better streetbike than the CBR. Although, fi you can go newer, I think the 11+ GSX-R 600 is the best street bike. Comfy and the powerband is pretty linear, doesn't feel like old school sportbikes that felt like turbocharged engines, nothing down low and then maniac past 8K rpms, the GSX-R just pulls from down low, although it comes at a cost, not that much power up top.
Agree completely especially about the '11+ GSX-Rs. They are the most comfortable (compared to its SS peers) SS bike around yet has very good torque down low. The current ZX6Rs have just a tad better torque downlow now than the current gen Gixxer but that's due to the extra CCs. The suspension on the '13+ ZX6R is also fantastic but would be nice if they gave it the Gixxer's seat and ergos.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd agree with what is said above about prices for those two models in the Detroit area. Mid-3Ks for the Ninja. And for the CBR I wouldn't pay a dime more than 4.5K, but I think you could find some for closer to 4K.

I've been checking CL pretty often (my brother is in the market for his first bike) and it just doesn't seem like there are a lot of good deals out there right now (I too am in the metro detroit area). That should pick up come summer time. Just have to be patient.

Personally, I wouldn't buy from a dealership. I think generally speaking you're likely to pay more than if you did a private sale. There are exceptions to this, I'm sure. But dealerships are there to make money. And they aren't as desperate as the guy thats trying to put a mortgage down payment together or is behind on his student loans/etc

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts

yeah I noticed that yesterday. they update the cycle trader listing a lot more often
they often do better deals for new bikes than used. but after knowing how many people I know that has bought a bike there, they do work with you on prices. something no dealer locally to me will do.
for example, look up a 2014 R6. $8999. dealers around me still want $10500. I would drive the 3 hrs to save $1500 in a heartbeat

Honda East - Dealer in 43537 Maumee, Ohio - CycleTrader.com

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I hadn't looked at the '07-'08 600rr but every review I've read says that they're fantastic bikes. I do love the fact that they have a fuel gauge, that's a big selling point for me. I just wish it had a gear indicator, outside the simple neutral light.

I did look at the 675 daytona as well but they seem to be a lot more difficult to find. I'm looking at this next bike being a stepping stone while I ride for the next few years, until I move onto an 848 or 1098.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts