Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I finally got a job, just started, and I want to buy a bike. My first check comes next week, then every 2 weeks after. So I won't be able to get a good down for another 4-6 weeks. By then it'll be September. So I was wondering if you think it's worth it.

Right now, I actually think it's too hot, I live in Chicago BTW, It's like 94 deg F now. Is like 50 deg F weather good riding weather?

I remember when I took the MSF a few months ago, it was like 85 and I was sweating like a hog after each day.

Thanx

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
With the right gear, you can ride all year long, except really crummy, snowy, icey days. I usually pack it in after Thanksgiving myself.

·
Registered
471 Posts
when is the season over? id say about june through november.. just too damn hot... oh wait, im in florida.. nevermind :neener

(cant wait til "winter") :fiddy

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I say when the temperature consistently stays below 40 degrees.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
It depends upon where you live and on how much misery you can tolerate.

In Seattle I regularly rode into Novemeber but by then it is usually a constant cold rain and it isn't very much fun. Even with rain gear it sucks because the water will find the smallest way in and you'll have a little river running down your back in no time. Some hard core guys will do it year round, but for me when it ceases to be fun I park the bike and just drive.

In places where it usually stays dry, a person who has good cold weather gear and a decent ability to deal with cold can ride until it starts to get icy. Even then, if you are riding on roads that you know won't get icy you can keep going.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I bought my bike at the end of September last year, and put about 5000 miles on it before I put it away. I rode until the temp dropped below 40, which it didn't do consistently until mid-December or so (here in New York). I still took it out a few times in January when we got a few warm days.

Not sure what the typical weather is in Chicago during September and October, but if it's anything like it is here, you'll still have plenty of time to ride. Of course, if you wanted to wait, you could probably pick up a left-over '05 next spring and save a few $$.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Depends on what part of the country you're in.....here riding season is never over....it can get cold in the winter but its never snowing or anything like that. Its hot as hell in the summer and makes u not wanna wear gear but one slip will change your mind quickly for those lucky enough to get another chance.

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
I spend my Thanksgiving day winterizing my bikes. By that time the temp had dropped to a consistant 35-45 degrees and snow is just around the corner, meaning salt.

I usually start riding around the beginning of April. So I get a pretty good season up here in Wisconsin.

·
Canyon Assault Vehicle
1,299 Posts
I usually ride well into Nov / December, and don't winterize until Christmas time. January and February are heinously cold here, and I start riding regularly in early April.

(Colorado Mountains)

·
Registered
361 Posts
VTEC Eater... I have a buddy that I snowmobile with and his License plate is FIB. :haha

for me the riding season is, early april till about mid november, but realistically, I don't ride regularly after mid october. The weather in Chicago is too inconsitent.

Also check out this website, great group of guys... www.chicagolandsportbikes.com

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
As long as it's above 32* and there is no snow on the road I'll ride. Also got to watch the road salt, ash, ect.

·
Are we not men?
9,011 Posts
As long as the temp stays above 35, and there's no chance of snow or rain.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Knowing where you live I would say sometime in October like mid or later on that month. Trying to stay upright with snow, or with sand/gravel & salt, to help cage drivers stop, will also take you down toot-sweet & besides when it takes 30 minutes to get dressed for a 30 minute run well it simply is not worth it. If you feel you will ride 4 to 5 hrs & not 30 minutes you have forgotten a thing called "chill factor" for a m/c is not like a cage, enclosed with heater & all not to mention a cage is self-balanced with FOUR wheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
usually the end of october is it for me. maybe a nice day or 2 in november. after that its too cold to be comfortable and the streets are too cold so its dangerous.

I start riding in april.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
here in TX we can pretty much ride year round, if you don't mind it getting alittle cold.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I ride year around unless there is snow on the ground. Heck Christmas day I was out riding in a tshirt in jeans in the chilly 40 degree weather :D

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Its my first season so I can't tell you when it will end for sure - my guess would be when it hits 45* consistently. Or whenever it snows - since I won't have traction and neither will all of the people who just moved here from SoCal and haven't seen real snow before (and therefore can't drive in it).

Wait until the season is over, THEN buy a bike and a better price,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts