Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys do to your bikes? i have only made cosmetic mods, like slip-on, undertail, hugger, frame sliders, blinkers.....but i'm thinking on making some king of engine mods, the thing is that it will void the warranty rigth? besides i got plenty of power with the stock parts so i dont know....

one more question, how does this works? what it's for?
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
disclaimer: personnal opinion

I wouldn't touch the engine on a modern bike, carbs maybe if ya got em.

if you are FI than that PCiii I have heard good things about but I ride carbs so no personnal experience with it

if your running out of things to spend money on try your suspension and a steering stabilizer, full exhaust, etc. not worth cracking the case on a newer bike too much to screw up, those specs and clearances are tight

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man, thats what i was thinking...

·
Registered
50 Posts
get some new race wheels, itll do everything from increase acceleration, braking, cornering well pritty much everything. By just reducing the weight

·
Registered
801 Posts
As far as any motor modifications, unless you're really know what your doing, I wouldn't do more than a PC. When you start diggin into the motor (i.e. hotter cams, titanium valves, rockers, etc., etc.), things just get more complex. And IMO, it's just not worth the headache.

If you're looking for some extra get up and go, put the bike on a diet (wheels, rotors, any unsprung weight), change your sprockets/chain, 520 chain conversion and maybe a full exhaust. And probably one of the go fast upgrades is to invest in better suspension.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I agree with the others. Unless you are just dead set on having the fastest 600 around, invasive engine work would not be worth the money.

The power commander III will smooth out your power throughout the rev range and give you more power throughout usually. Or, you can buy it, and have it tuned at a shop to get a custom map made. They can make it to suit you, for example, the map in my RC51 right now was custom made (not for me, but for another RC) by having the bike on a dyno. A memeber of speedzilla was kind enough to send it to me for free especially since it took a couple hundred dollars worth of tuning to make it. It is not as strong as other maps on the top end, but it is super smooth compared to the others also, mainly under 5K rpms. It is what you could call a "street" map I suppose. Great for my use, now if you raced, you would probably want a different map that makes the most peak HP with no dips in power at the top end.

If I were you, I'd get:

Full exhaust (ti or carbon)
PCIII
lighter or carbon bodywork
carbon/mag rims
stainless brakelines
-1 or -1/+1 gearing and drop to 520

That's a lot of money for all that stuff, but it would drop some SERIOUS weight off your bike. It's pretty light already, but that would make even less heavy. The gearing is a great mod that doesn't cost a whole lot, around $200 for 2 sprockets and a chain. Your bike will pull harder in every gear and rev quicker. I don't know much about the weight of GSXR's or their parts, but the exhaust and rims alone would be quite a drop.

Of course, the best money spent would be going to the track. I sure hope I can afford to do it someday soon.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=265578

look through that thread regarding tires/wheels

$3000 wheels are about the worst investment you can make for a bike if you are not a motogp racer!

My suggestions beyond watever cosmetic stuff you want to do:
Slip on (maybe full system but again, u really only gain from a full system if you run high rpm's)
PCIII
SS brake lines
Air Filter
Steering Damper
Better tires (reference thread noted above)
track days! :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
If you want to do engine mods because you want your bike to be faster... do what I did with my 250, sell it at get a b***** bike!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Juggalo said:
disclaimer: personnal opinion

I wouldn't touch the engine on a modern bike, carbs maybe if ya got em.

if you are FI than that PCiii I have heard good things about but I ride carbs so no personnal experience with it

if your running out of things to spend money on try your suspension and a steering stabilizer, full exhaust, etc. not worth cracking the case on a newer bike too much to screw up, those specs and clearances are tight
Not to disagree with you Juggalo, but if this guy doesnt know what a PCiii is, I dont think he will have a use for suspension work. And if you think you have to much power, then why are you going to do engine mods? The best bang for you buck, full system and a PCiii. Dont get into the internals of a engine unless your racing. It does void your warrenty, and possibly could make your engine less reliable. Your 600 is fast, dont get it confused just becuase its got a 600 sticker that its slow....I use a stock 600 at the track. All I have dont to it is full system, pciii.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replys, i kinda new in this business that's why i'm asking....(cause i hear a lot of stuff in the street)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Nolo said:
thanks for the replys, i kinda new in this business that's why i'm asking....(cause i hear a lot of stuff in the street)
take what you hear on the street worth a grain of salt.

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
Alter the engines breathing (intake,exhaust) on an fi bike and the pc can adjust your fueling to bring you back to the ideal set up, which you may not have as stock for EPA reasons.
Modern bikes have enough power, reduce unsprung mass, suspension, brake upgrades are the way to go.
Unless your looking to be the next ghostrider and need a 500 hp turbo busa to do 150mph power wheelies and fly past topped out gsxr 1000s on one wheel.In which case seek help.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
chsnprodigy said:
Not to disagree with you Juggalo, but if this guy doesnt know what a PCiii is, I dont think he will have a use for suspension work..
true true, as a twisite lover, and we'll find out in oct a track lover, I think suspensions make a world of difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts